Richard & Linda Thompson: Hard Luck Stories (1972-1982) [8CD Box Set; 11th September 2020]

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DeeThomaz, Jul 7, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John Manning

John Manning #FreeFeelFlows

It's essentially a three-page review (one of which is a full-page photo), plus a one page interview with R&L.

Thoe who don't want to know the score, look away now…

9/10, Reissue of the month.

2. moomoomoomoo

moomoomoomoo WhoNeedsRealityWhenThere'sMoreSleepToLookForwardTo

This seems a little more complicated than I thought. Would anyone be willing to post which bonus cuts on the current single cd's are not going o be on the box?

3. GuidedByJonO)))

GuidedByJonO))) Forum Resident

My local stores haven't gotten a single copy of Uncut since the pandemic started. I miss it. Oddly, they still seem to get Mojo just fine.

chickendinna likes this.
  4. AndyB

AndyB Forum Resident

no space, can you imagine lyrics to all those songs? i'd need another 72 page book to put them in!

5. AndyB

AndyB Forum Resident

I omitted them because they aren't Richard and Linda tracks- just RT, so they don't belong on this set, but will no doubt turn up in future :) but you are correct they are the only two recordings that remain exclusive to GV

Flaming Torch, KCWhistle and Siegmund like this.
  6. AndyB

AndyB Forum Resident

yes, A heart needs a Home was demoed during the Bright Lights session, and yes multitrack, and some session tapes survive

Flaming Torch and DeeThomaz like this.
  7. AndyB

AndyB Forum Resident

not complicated at all really! basically none of them are apart from Dark End of the street on PDLS

8. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

Someone did earlier in the thread.

AndyB likes this.
  9. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

I would guess that Heart .... was composed sometime around 1972, to coincide with Richard’s conversation. But I suppose it could be earlier - I was shocked to discover that Never Before was composed, post-crash, in 1969.

The choice of the ‘harp’ version to go on Hokey Pokey has always surprised me, as I think the version on guitar, vocal is much stronger and might have stood a chance of picking up airplay and even becoming a hit single. But perhaps that’s why it was pulled?

Sidonie Goossens, the harpist on the Hokey Pokey version, was born in 1899 (and died in 2004!). Oldest session musician on a rock-related recording ever?

Sidonie Goossens - Wikipedia

Flaming Torch likes this.
  10. chickendinna

chickendinna Homegrown’s All Right With Me

What? It only got a 9 in Uncut. I haven’t even heard it yet and it’s an automatic 10 for me. I also can’t seem to get either Mojo or Uncut or they are really far behind. I think they have either April or Mays issues at Barnes and Noble. I want to purchase the ultimate guide to Wilco but they could be months before they get it . I looked online and they’re sold out and then eBay has it for 30 bucks that’s too rich for my blood. But back to Richard and Linda Thompson can’t wait to hear this brilliant piece of music.

11. dockofthebay

dockofthebay Forum Resident

Sorry if this has already been posted...

I was taking stock of my Amazon pre-orders for the remainder of 2020 (including some real tear-jerking cancellations!) and I noticed that the price for this set has gone down to £56?!? Crazy good value. Can't justify a wait-until-Christmas approach at that price.

12. Beeb Fader

Beeb Fader Forum Resident

Thanks for heads up. Ordered.

mrjinks and dockofthebay like this.
  13. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

Wow, for those in the States it’s even cheaper (less VAT). I thought the postage charge might kill me, but even that was surprisingly cheap:
    £46.98 + £4.95 shipping = £51.93 or approximately $66.62!​
    Sold!

Galaga King and dockofthebay like this.
  14. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

Thanks. Great to know.

15. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

Apologies for being an anorak (!) but I assume Beat the Retreat live is on both the box and the older cd with bonus tracks. I always loved the way it followed Dark End of the Street and without checking I think you hear Richard call the song name out. On the Superdeluxe Edition box set list Dark End and Beat the Retreat are given as remixed.
    Anyway they are both on disc 5 with the other live material which looks like a great play through disc.

AndyB likes this.
  16. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

Unbelievable price. £56!!!!

(I'd rather pay more for this and have The Rolling Stones GHS set be reduced TBH).

dockofthebay and AndyB like this.
  17. Phil Tate

Phil Tate Miss you Indy x

Yep, sold! Incredible price, thanks!

dockofthebay and AndyB like this.
  18. moomoomoomoo

Guess I paid $20 too much, but with the current international postal situation in the UK; I feel safer ordering from another country.

19. superstar19

superstar19 Authentic By Nature

Wow, I've been on the fence with this set, but I'm in now! Thanks for the post.

mrjinks and dockofthebay like this.
  20. dockofthebay

dockofthebay Forum Resident

Glad I posted now! I was sure it had already been mentioned, haven't checked in on the thread in a few days.

Kiss73, uzn007, mrjinks and 1 other person like this.
  21. superstar19

superstar19 Authentic By Nature

Shipping to the States is also more in line with the pre-Covid rates too.

22. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

The only shipping option to Canada is £22.51 shipping plus £8.36 import fee deposit

23. joeym3

joeym3 Forum Resident

Thank for posting this deal. I'm in the US and never noticed an Exchange Rate Guarantee Fee before.

24. Also available for preorder at JPC.de again after they stopped taking orders a few weeks back.

uzn007 likes this.
  25. moomoomoomoo

Amazon US's price will likely come down soon, also.

frightwigwam and KCWhistle like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.