Richard & Linda Thompson: Hard Luck Stories (1972-1982) [8CD Box Set; 11th September 2020]

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DeeThomaz, Jul 7, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

About a week for me.

Galaga King likes this.
  2. lou

lou Fast 'n Bulbous

import cds has sent me notification of shipping - I was kind of hoping they wouldn't get enough copies to cover my order. Oh well, fingers crossed. The best case scenario would be that replacement discs could be manufactured (that's fairly cheap compared to printing up a second run of complete boxes) and sent out to those that have problems with the discs.

EricSwan likes this.
  3. peteham

peteham Senior Member

It's cold comfort, but I've never had any problems with JPC in terms of products actually arriving. Have you emailed them?

ConnieGuitar likes this.
  4. ConnieGuitar

ConnieGuitar Here in my balloon...

I will do if nothing seems to be happening by early next do - thanks (and to @bubba-ho-tep) for responding. Just eager to get the set!

5. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

7 days

Galaga King and ConnieGuitar like this.
  6. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

My shipment has been handed off to the USPS since going through customs and now has a different tracking number.

I got my shipping notice on the 10th (last Thursday).

7. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

I will add that, all previous orders with JPC took about a month. And that was pre-pandemic. They were exactly as you described... tracking as far as Frankfurt and then nothing.

@ConnieGuitar Have you tried tracking on the USPS with the DHL tracking number?

8. Mike6565

Mike6565 Hyperactive!

took about 1 week...

9. ConnieGuitar

ConnieGuitar Here in my balloon...

I did - USPS is showing "pre-shipment" status, so at least they know it exists.

I got mine on the 11th so fingers are crossed my shipping info gets updated shortly.

Thanks, all.

uzn007 likes this.
  10. soundchaseroni

soundchaseroni Member

I am in Canada and pre-purchased from Amazon.ca. Release date was to be today, Sept 18, 2020. I typically receive an update email from Amazon on day of release announcing either shipment or a delay. As of yet I have received nothing. Logging into my account, the status of my order has now changed from, "will be shipped Sept 18, 2020" to "We will email you when we have an estimated delivery date." No additional details. I have to admit I am more than disappointed.

That is my Hard Luck Story for the day.

Cheers

11. citizensmurf

citizensmurf Ambient postpunk will never die

I've found many items from .ca to take a while to actually get delivered. Still waiting for some items released last month to be "in stock".

12. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

They have been horrible with pre-orders lately...I dont get the feeling they even order these boxes ahead of time anymore as 9 times out of 10 they don't ship on or near release day even with a pre order. Maybe too many people cancel at the last minute and they don't want to be stuck with expensive boxes so they don't bother ordering ahead of time?

13. citizensmurf

citizensmurf Ambient postpunk will never die

They probably only get a certain allocation of stock shipped up here. In the past there were always great deals if you pre-ordered early enough. Lately it's been expensive.

14. KCWhistle

KCWhistle Forum Resident

My Amazon US order shipped today and is either "arriving Tuesday by 8pm" or "expected by September 24," depending on which screen I'm looking at. uDiscover shipped on September 9, so I'll be curious to see which arrives first.

Amazon's price also never dropped, which in my experience is a first, at least for a set of this size.

15. soundchaseroni

soundchaseroni Member

I have never had any issues with pre-orders from Amazon.ca. In fact when I pre-ordered PF - The Later Years box and the Abbey Road box, they both actually arrived the day of release

Cheers
    J

16. spinyn

spinyn Senior Member

17. shadlet

shadlet Forum Resident

I quoted a member earlier who mentioned that the matrix numbers indicated pressings at Sony DADC Austria DADC Austria but that needs to be verified by @AndyB or someone in the know.
    Re: Replacements again: I should qualify that the Woodstock box was determined to have damaged discs fairly quickly. Those were cosmetic damages; scuffs and scratches. But that box came from one supplier: Warners Music.
    I ordered this box with the print from Universal as soon as it was available. I forgot about all the other secondary suppliers who were selling. But, I would imagine that for proof of purchase, all one would have to do is list who the seller was and provide an Order number to get Replacement discs mailed in the white paper sleeves.
    With Woodstock, there was an official email address and contact set up to appeal to for Replacements, other than just the company's Customer Service and that is what we still need (I think?) although it wouldn't hurt to email UDiscover. (What was that address again?)

Last edited: Sep 18, 2020
  18. Mine is shown as stuck at Frankfurt as well.I am in a different situation in that our borders have closed due to COVID and there are next to no flights of any type.International freight has slowed to nearly a stop and there are estimates of up to 100,000 Australian citizens stranded overseas basically rendered stateless.Worrying about delayed CD orders seems a first world problem in this context.
    Back on topic in the past I have found JPC 100% reliable and with the exception of 1 book order close to a year ago DHL out of Germany as well.

ConnieGuitar and Graham like this.
  19. thematinggame

thematinggame Forum Resident

you should be able to track it on the USPS site if you have a tracking # - my experience is that with Covid-19 you will have to expect 3-4 weeks once it has arrived in the U.S.

20. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

Yep a great photo of both R&L - it is in the book somewhere with details of rough date/area of London taken and the photographer.
    Anyone know who actually now owns the rights to these 3 RT albums that I always bunch in with the whole R&L period before the move to Polydor.
    Strict Tempo - I assume R owns it.
    Small Town Romance - no idea.
    Hand of Kindness (not the greatest album ever but I have a soft spot for it and it does have some great songs such as Devonside, How I Wanted To etc) - I do not think this is now in print and only ever came out on cd via Hannibal/Ryko.
    None of the above feature Linda of course but I love all 3 and for me they definitely fit with the whole post Fairport Richard era that I followed/follow.

21. Graham

Graham Senior Member

The photos bear out that Richard Thompson looked dreadful with no beard and long hair.

uzn007 likes this.
  22. Bull Lee

Bull Lee New Member

Seriously, (and in these days!), you're judging a person's appearance? Why the hell should that matter? BTW what's trending in boy bands?

23. Suvestant

Suvestant Well-Known Member

Linda is the one with no beard and long hair

24. Russ_B66

Russ_B66 Forum Resident

My copy from Import CDs is on the way. I have my fingers crossed but at the same time I trust that any issues will be made right.

RockRoom likes this.
  25. Russ_B66

Russ_B66 Forum Resident

I have been buying CDs since January 1988 and I have at least 1500 and I have only had three that I needed to return because they would not play properly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.