Richard & Linda Thompson: Hard Luck Stories (1972-1982) [8CD Box Set; 11th September 2020]

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DeeThomaz, Jul 7, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

Yeah, no, I'm good. Also, if you're manually maintaining five different backups of all your material, there's this thing called the "cloud" that you should consider looking into.

2. Tom B

Tom B Forum Resident

nice. I recognize a lot of those box sets. That the Doc Watson one down the bottom?Havent broken the seal on mine yet. Anyway...where those shelves from? Self-built? They look really good.

3. Peter K

Peter K Forum Resident

I'm 6 discs in with 3 of which the CD player has problems reading!! 2 others had glitches it got past!! Very poor!!

4. Gavaxeman

Gavaxeman Take me back to dear old Blighty...

Love your YouTube Channel

Mazzy and uzn007 like this.
  5. jmrife

jmrife Wife. Kids. Grandkids. Dog. Music.

Waiting For Qobuz.

6. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

The US version? Not happening.

Galaga King likes this.
  7. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

God I wish I had your organizational skills -- in any aspect of my life. My hat's off to you.:targettiphat:

Mazzy likes this.
  8. rpd

rpd Senior Member

No one?

9. Wugged

Wugged Forum Resident

I need to handle discs. :wave:

[​IMG]

Runicen and PJayBe like this.
  10. discman1993

discman1993 Well-Known Member

I have received this set and found the discs to be warped to varying degrees. Using EAC the later tracks especially on the longest discs 4 and 7 are the hardest to rip and in fact I gave up with disc 7 after over 4 hours of attempted error correction on the last track.

I decided to follow some advice from another forum and baked each disc at 100°c for 15 minutes in the oven with the print side on the underneath resting on a small saucer so as to ensure even heat distribution. After allowing the oven to cool for 30 minutes the disc(s) are now completely flat and no longer warped. I once again tried to rip on EAC and it did so without any reading or sync errors whatsoever and the drive itself was no longer making any crunching noise!

It is important not to heat the oven any hotter than 100°c (this allows sufficient tolerance for any inaccuracies in thermostatic controls).

Perhaps this advice might be of help to some people.

11. soundchaseroni

soundchaseroni Member

Another advantage of ripping and offsite backup...disaster recovery...fires, floods, theft, separation/divorce, house parties, adventurous toddlers etc.

12. subtr

subtr Forum Resident

Yikes, I think I'll just wait for AndyB to let us know Universal's response!

13. discman1993

discman1993 Well-Known Member

Sure, you can wait if you're not comfortable with the oven method. I'm just pleased to have completely fixed my set.

I should add that the saucer needs to be upturned so as to only make contact with the inner ring where the matrix code is.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2020
  14. subtr

subtr Forum Resident

My fear is something going awry/that not fixing issues for me and then no replacements offered. I had to do it on an old Apple power supply for a laptop once to open it up and replace components that had blown. I found it all too tense for me! Glad it's solved your issues though.

discman1993 likes this.
  15. uzn007

My copy arrived from jpc today, on a Sunday, no less, and even though I had purchased the box through their German-language portal, which resulted in my address being printed "backwards" on the label.

Before I get into the important business of playing it, though, I have to comment on one thing that seemed bizarre; they're credited on the spine as "Richard & Linda"? No "Thompson"? I don't think I've ever seen them billed without their surname. Isn't that a little weird, or is it just me?

AndyP19 likes this.
  16. rediffusion

rediffusion Forum Resident

Which states?

Tommyboy, Galaga King and Mazzy like this.
  17. Beaneydave

Beaneydave Forum Resident

Maybe you should send your post to the record company and they can put it in their next box sets in case of issues.

;)

peace and love✌Dave

18. Phil Tate

Phil Tate Miss you Indy x

It is weird. I assume it was an error. Isn't it on the disc wallets as well?

19. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

More to the point @Mazzy ....what do you thinks going to happen to an entire state that they need backing up in another 4????

Should we be worried?

rediffusion, uzn007 and Graham like this.
  20. dbacon

dbacon Senior Member

I have a copy in New Jersey

Galaga King, rediffusion and Mazzy like this.
  21. uzn007

Yes, you're right. It says "Thompson" on the spine of the book, but not the CD wallets.

I guess it's an error of designing and proofreading; it certainly looks intentional.

22. Custom built on top of the edge of the foundation downstairs in my split level house. That's why the bottom of the shelves begin about 30 inches from the floor. An efficient use of the space I felt since that foundation jets in about 9 inches into the room. .

Last edited: Sep 20, 2020
  23. Washington, California, Oregon, Texas and New Jersey

24. No it is just that my son (in Portland, OR) @dbacon in Jersey and two other friends are holding on to copies for me . :tiphat:

lucan_g likes this.
  25. So far mine have ripped just fine (some took longer than orders on the bonus tracks) out of the set, I’ve ripped 4.

Uncle Miles and uzn007 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.