Rick Moranis is back!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by modrevolve, Feb 12, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. modrevolve

modrevolve Forum Resident Thread Starter

Rick Moranis Returning for 'Honey, I Shrunk the Kids' Reboot

Josh Gad is starring in the new take from Disney, which is titled 'Shrunk.'

Rick Moranis is returning to one of the franchises he helped build. The actor will appear in Disney's upcoming reboot of Honey, I Shrunk the Kids, The Hollywood Reporter has confirmed.

Joe Johnston, who helmed the original, will direct the new take, titled Shrunk. Josh Gad is attached to star as the son to Moranis' character, Wayne Szalinski. David Hoberman is producing the reboot, with Todd Rosenberg penning the script.

Moranis starred in the 1989 original as a scientist whose children stumble upon one of his experiments in their family's home and end up shrinking themselves down to the size of bugs. Honey, I Shrunk the Kids spawned a 1992 theatrical sequel, Honey, I Blew Up the Kid, as well as a straight-to-DVD continuation, 1997's Honey, We Shrunk Ourselves. Moranis appeared in all three.

Moranis is known for a number of seminal comedy roles, including Ghostbusters and Spaceballs, but has been extremely picky with his roles in recent decades, avoiding overtures to be part of 2016's Ghostbusters reboot. He has not appeared in live-action theatrical film since 1994's Little Giants.

Rick Bartlett, Sean, wayne66 and 3 others like this.
  2. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

3. LilacTeardrop

LilacTeardrop "Roll It Over My Soul...and Leave Me Here"

Thanks for posting OP! :righton: This sounds like spot-on casting! :D:thumbsup:

Sean and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  4. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Great. I’m sorry about his wife. He’s a funny guy. I hope things go well for him.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  5. fitzysbuna

fitzysbuna Senior Member

why couldn't he have done the new Ghostbusters ?

6. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

How about a cameo in the next Ant Man movie?

7. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

Nice to see him return. :)

8. Juan Matus

Juan Matus Reformed Audiophile

9. modrevolve

10. modrevolve

11. cloggedmind

cloggedmind Doctor Do-Very-Little

Hmm. And it was so worth it! /s

It must have been more than one day of shooting, otherwise he would've turned it down, right?

12. carrick doone

carrick doone Whhhuuuutttt????

That was great! Good to see Rick and fun to see how Ryan makes a simple premise work.

milankey and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  13. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Heh - it says co phone plan owner Ryan Reynolds "coaxed" Moranis into coming back to this one little tv spot, because he missed him...and, there's yer punchline, down at the bottom of the press release.

ca plus change, ca meme chose.

14. wondergrape

wondergrape Forum Resident

That was awful and everybody should feel bad.

15. Stereosound

Stereosound Forum Resident

16. Tim Lookingbill

Tim Lookingbill Alfalfa Male

Funny this thread topic would com up after a search finding out what happened to Bridget Fonda after seeing her 82 year old aunt Jane Fonda look like she's 40 years old on last night's NBC Seth Myer's talk show Zoom chat.

Rick Moranis showed up with Bridget Fonda in a NY Daily News article on 8 actors that walked away from fame.

17. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

Jane looks effing amazing. She always did though.
    Couldn't care less about Mint but seeing Rick Moran is made me recall all those great SCTV skits and characters.

18. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

It was .. poor rick.. what I get into now..

19. I thought it was clever.

20. Jord

Jord Forum Resident

Yeah, it was pretty funny.

Besides, Moranis doesn't owe the public anything. If he doesn't want to act, it's his decision. I have a lot of respect for him walking away from the movie industry to raise his children back in the 90's.
    Would I have liked to see more of him? Sure, but looking back he has such a great body of work as it is. Little Shop, Ghostbusters, Honey I shrunk the kids, My Blue Heaven etc. are all movies I still enjoy.

That being said, I am curious to see how the new Honey movie starring Moranis and Josh Gadd will turn out. As the recent Ant-Man films have shown, there is a lot possible with the concept of shrinking and the technique is there to provide us with believable effect works. I'm up for another microadventure.

21. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

The writer doesn't sound too smart, stating the commercial is set in a field for some reason. It's called Mint and it's a bunch of mint plants. Seems pretty obvious to me.

22. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

Yeah, that was lame. Love Rick Moranis though. Just wish there was actually something more for him to do than stand there.

23. The Wanderer

The Wanderer Seeker of Truth

24. Atmospheric

Atmospheric Forum Resident

Big woo. If I understand Mint correctly, it aggregates multiple financial sites into a single portal. Essentially charging $40/mo for something you can get dead free with a functional brain and a spreadsheet.

Only in 2020 America. That’s $480/year! You ain’t ever gonna get rich throwing away that kind of money!!!

25. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Funny I just watched "Little Shop Of Horrors" last night with my daughter, for the first time in 30 years. She asked why he doesn't do anything nowadays.

AlienGirlWorx likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.