Rick Roberts (ex Firefall, Flying Burrito Brothers) 2018 tour

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by melstapler, Jul 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist Thread Starter

[​IMG]
    Rick Roberts is best known as Gram Parsons' replacement in The Flying Burrito Brothers and as a founder member and lead singer of Firefall from 1974-81 and 1989-92. In addition to Roberts' hits with Firefall, his songs have also been recorded by the likes of Linda Ronstadt, The Dirt Band and Barry Manilow.
    [​IMG]
    In 2006, Roberts suffered a fall which resulted in a serious head injury and within months, started to lose motor control. Within eighteen months, Roberts was confined to a wheelchair and unable to walk. Temporarily sidelined from songwriting and performing, it took four years of intense physical therapy and determination to get Roberts back in action. Remarkably, the accident hadn't affected his ability to play the guitar or sing and Roberts regained mobility.
    [​IMG]

Country-rock singer songwriter and author Rick Roberts' 2018 tour features many of his best known songs in addition to anecdotes found in his book, "Lame Brain."
    [​IMG]
    "Lame Brain" written by Rick Roberts
    https://www.amazon.com/Lame-Brain-Journey-Back-Real/dp/0996414428
    [​IMG]
    Rick Roberts wrote 8 of the 11 chart hits in Firefall

yesstiles, art, Hep Alien and 3 others like this.
  2. melstapler

2018 interview with Rick Roberts

Hep Alien and clhboa like this.
  3. melstapler

Rick Roberts performing with Randy Meisner in the Roberts Meisner Band

Hep Alien likes this.
  4. melstapler

'Colorado' written by Rick Roberts and recorded by The Flying Burrito Brothers

5. telliott

telliott Senior Member

I saw him in a version of the Byrds, that also included Blondie Chaplin. Not what I would call the Byrds but a great band!

6. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

Good to know he's in better health. Zero chance of him making it to the UK, but wold probably be a really good show.

carlwm and melstapler like this.
  7. melstapler

8. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

I debated on going to that show, but I didn't know how he would sound. I've seen him appear at Firefall reunion show but he didn't perform. Said "His chops weren't up". When Firefall was inducted into the Colorado Music Hall Of Fame he came out (along with Larry Burnett) and jammed with the current band on their finale but was more in the background. I see him around town occasionally. Friendly guy. Knew he had health problems but didn't know what happened. Thanks for posting this.

Atmospheric, Hep Alien and melstapler like this.
  9. Blue Cactus

Blue Cactus Forum Resident

Saw Firefall at an outdoor show in 2001, before Rick’s accident. Rick was there but he didn’t perform and was watching the band from the side of the stage.

melstapler likes this.
  10. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

You're right and that's a massive shame. Such a talent.

Love the bands he was in but his two early Seventies solo albums are also well worth a listen. Davy McVie is one of the great lost songs. Should be a standard, I reckon.

melstapler likes this.
  11. TonyG

TonyG Forum Resident

His first solo album "Windmills" is great. Listening to it regularly since 1972.

clhboa, adad and melstapler like this.
  12. milankey

milankey Forum Resident

For me personnally, if I were to make a Best Of Firefall compilation, I would pretty much just choose Rick's songs with very few from Larry or Jock. I suppose Cinderella would be an exception.

13. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

A&M’s old Best of Rick Roberts lp is one of my favorite bargain bin finds of all time. Highlights from his two solo albums, a Flying Burrito Bros track, and an otherwise unreleased solo version of “It Doesn’t Matter”. Really nicely done comp.

TonyG, clhboa, Hep Alien and 2 others like this.
  14. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

It Doesn't Matter is a really hard song to play. Not so much the chords but the swing!

melstapler likes this.
  15. Blue Cactus

Blue Cactus Forum Resident

Although Rick did come up with the best material, I think Larry Burnett’s songs compliment the Rick Roberts tunes especially on the first Firefall album.

melstapler likes this.
  16. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Thought Jock stepped up well on the later albums as well.

17. chickendinna

chickendinna Homegrown’s All Right With Me

I think both Windmills and She is a Song are terrific and criminally underated.

melstapler, carlwm and milankey like this.
  18. rjp

rjp Senior Member

and, if i am not mistaken available as a two-fer.

extremely under-rated musician.

19. chickendinna

You are correct sir. I jumped on it early and then watched the price skyrocket. I just checked Amazon and it's going for $13 bucks now.

20. rjp

rjp Senior Member

but that price is for prime members only.

21. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Correct. This is what I have.

It's on Gott Discs whoever they might be and also BGO.

Amazon UK has a few copies for under a tenner.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2018
  22. chickendinna

This Thread is getting more response's than I thought. I love all his work. He had a tough act to follow replacing Gram in the FBB's. I think he did as well as anyone could expect. We already touched on his solo career. Which title do you Hoffmanites think is better or do you enjoy more: Windmills or She Is A Song? They are both pretty wonderful, however if I had one title to choose or wanted to turn someone on to Rick, I'd go with Windmills. Firefall, clearly his contributions stand out. But, they are a little too mushy for my taste. That said, I'm happy for Rick as I'm sure the better part of his royalty checks come from Firefall.

melstapler and TonyG like this.
  23. adad

adad Forum Resident

I like Windmills the best. Have it on LP. Need to get the CD.

melstapler likes this.
  24. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Both the solo albums are excellent but I'd just give Windmills the edge. The first four tracks, Deliver Me, Davy McVie, In My Own Small Way and Sail Away are my favourite songs by RR.

His work on the '71 Burritos record is terrific.

melstapler likes this.
  25. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

Wish that one would get a cd release. I think this might be a stronger album than each one individually.

melstapler likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.