Ridley Scott's Prometheus (2012) - Alien prequel

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Solaris, Dec 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

I saw Prometheus over the weekend. I liked it even though it confused the hell out of me. I'd like to see it again to see if I can pick up on some of the plot points.

2. Collector Man

Collector Man Well-Known Member

A far more nifty pregnancy in space was Lou Gosset's in Enemy Mine.

3. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

I still feel the dialogue was a big let down in this movie... The effects were great but the dialogue so good in Alien was just not here.

4. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

The squid baby in MIB?:D

5. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

People had written about the "space abortion" as a highlight of the movie. To me it was obviously a "cool scene" idea that the writers cooked up without much thought to its plausibility to the Rest of the movie. It felt like "set piece #29B." And knowing how strong these aliens are supposed to be, I really doubted a pissed-off, squirming angry one could be restrained by a rounded pair of forceps.. You can barely grasp wet egg noodles with those kinds of forceps. Even as I watched that scene for the first time, I was in disbelief I was suppose to be buying the physics of that scene.

6. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

They didn't ask a woman who had had a cesarean either I guess?

"Running afterwards? Are you effing kidding me!"

7. Hey she was on LOTS of drugs but I agree. My wife found that scene very silly mainly because not only was she running around but she was jumping after having had the muscles in her stomach cut through by a laser and stapled.

Oh, and it wasn't an abortion. It was a c-section as you point out big difference.

There's lots of silliness in the movie to be sure but it sure was entertaining (at least to me). That scene made me squirm and I can just imagine Scott sitting there trying to figure out a chest burster moment for the film.

8. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

This is just horror movie implausibility, I agree writers thought it was a "cool idea" and a way to get a "chest burster" type of scene in the movie. Of course it's silly to run around afterwards, even though there was strong drugs and maybe some sort of rapid healing in the future. In the movies I just accept that this sort of stuff goes on. It's a horror movie thing.

9. shinedaddy

shinedaddy Forum Resident

so any of you who have seen it...the 3D worth it or not? I am going tonight for the first time.

10. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

yep, you gotta see it in 3D!!!

11. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

yeah I just go with it.....she's a fast healer and one hell of a woman! :D

12. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Absolutely! Fantastic 3D!

13. 3D

14. You know I expected them to have a marvelous part of the device that heals her rapidly. It wouldn't be any less implausible than her running around with a recently stapled stomach.

15. shinedaddy

shinedaddy Forum Resident

ok 3D IMAX it is then. thanks for the responses

16. Zep Fan

Zep Fan Sounds Better with Headphones on

Another Ancient astronaut . . . .

[​IMG]

17. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Not read the 30 threads.

Is this film any good ?

18. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

19. They are traveling in space beyond the speed of light and the C-section bit is tagged as implausible? :laugh:
    Its science fiction...cutting the writers some slack in the plausibility department is a requirement to enjoy these movies.

20. yes...

21. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

Well look at it this way we have two elements.

We have faster then light travel that's totally made up, we can suspend disbelief for that as it's set in the future and you never know.... Thats Science FICTION!

We have a woman that conducts a self C-Section which is a known real-life procedure with lots of evidence of how it affects patients physically. Thats called Science FACT!

And it appears they couldn't even get the fact right.

There is a difference between quality science fiction writing and just plain dumb writing.

22. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

I love all the Alien series (except for the vs. Predator spin-offs) and I waited weeks to see this, resisting reading these 50 odd pages for fear of spoiling my enjoyment.
    I went to a late show in 3D last night and thoroughly enjoyed myself. My wife, who isn't a hi-fi buff at all, also loved it. A very entertaining sci-fi film with awesome visuals.
    It was great fun but, as already pointed out here, full of silly errors of scripting/plot.

IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN THE FILM, DON'T READ THIS WHITE TEXT:
    The first thing that got on my nerves a bit was the slack team of experts on the mission. So corny to portray them again as cocky, cool and sweaty hipsters. It's been done to death and especially in Alien movies. This should have been a crack team of scientists with dynamic security back-up. They would surely have been briefed about their mission before leaving also!
    As said earlier, it was so stupid that the punky navigation expert got lost and then the cuddly scientist toyed with a terrifying and potentially venomous serpent. Ridiculous.
    The (heavily made-up) old-man billionaire was a cheap idea in order to give the android a hidden motive. Talking of which, they didn't really have to have his head pulled off (again) did they?
    Too many monster variations also: the little/giant squid, the serpents, the archeologist hero (?) who became a zombie werewolf,... keep it simple!
    The emergency operation scene was tense but the "gag" with the staple gun was dumb. A quick setting skin gel would've been better.
    I was excited when the ending seemed to be heading for a clean link-up to "Alien" as the "space jockey" got into position but disappointed when didn't fall victim to an alien chest burster. So this was not the "space jockey" that the Nostromo crew would later find. Bummer.

That said, great film!

23. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

Adrenaline and lots of pain killers...I don't understand why it's so hard to grasp this. She was obviously in pain for the rest of the film as they pointed out several times.

Some of the complaints seem to just be picking the film apart. Name a science fiction/horror movie that doesn't depend on some sort of leap of faith? My biggest complaint was lack of explanation of how the biologist and geologist got lost. Other than that nothing really bothered me.

24. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

And again, all this criticism from someone who hasn't seen the film.

25. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

And again I don't need to see the movie to comment on bad script writing.

I don't see the issue.

If someone said to me a guy was fooling around with a stick of dynamite, lit it, stuck it down his pants and said "Hey guys y'all watch this now!"

I wouldn't have to see it to know that was a dumb thing to do.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.