Ringo Starr: Album By Album Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by omikron, Jun 25, 2019.

1. WilliamWes

WilliamWes Likes to sing along but he knows not what it means

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Whatever they call him, it doesn't matter. What mattered was the trousers.
    [​IMG]

theMess, omikron and RayS like this.
  2. FredV

FredV Senior Member

Here are Ringo and Carrie Fisher singing ‘You’re Sixteen’ from the 1978 ‘Ringo’ tv special. It was recorded especially for the special. The visual effects are a harbinger of what we would see in music videos just a few years down the road.

theMess, omikron, RayS and 1 other person like this.
  3. WilliamWes

And so that was Carrie Fisher singing? You know how sometimes somebody talks differently than they sing, I thought it might be someone else but thanks for confirming it. It sounded like her part was recorded into the original but I couldn't tell for sure. I think "I'm The Greatest" was re-recorded so why not "You're Sixteen", right?

theMess, omikron and SixOClockBoos like this.
  4. I think this would have benefited from Ringo covering one of John’s songs already published although that would or could have brought up memories he didn’t want to deal with.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2019
    theMess, omikron and WilliamWes like this.
  5. Arrangement has some minor variations.

theMess, omikron and WilliamWes like this.
  6. WilliamWes

That is a good idea and I was thinking if the title had something to do with the death. The saying does go hand in hand with trying to enjoy life despite your commitments always having you on the run.

omikron likes this.
  7. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Might be nice after Old Wave to have folks give their thoughts on the Chips Moman sessions from 86 which never saw release. Spmething to fill in his 9 year gap between studio LPs.

At least a few of those tracks are up on YT.

SixOClockBoos, jeremylr and theMess like this.
  8. plentyofjamjars67

plentyofjamjars67 Forum Resident

catching up:

Ringo The 4th
    "Gave It All Up", "Tango All Night", "Simple Love Song" and the b-side "Just A Dream" are the ones I like. Album on a whole isn't as bad as I remember..

Bad Boy "Heart On My Sleeve", "Lipstick Traces", "A Man Like Me", "Tonight" and "Where Did Our Love Go" are the ones I like most. "Monkey See Monkey Do", though indeed amusing and well played too, has got to be some kind of 70s Beatle lowpoint. :winkgrin:

His cover of "Where Did Our Love Go" is better than anyone should expect. I love the intro and other rather cheesy parts but then again it kinda reminds me of the more twee inclinations of the band Pilot, who are a favorite of mine.

I don't have a past with these albums like I do with Rotogravure, so there is no nostalgic element other than constantly seeing ONLY them available in THE BEATLES section of any given used bin.

I'll try to catch up later today or tomorrow :) enjoying the thread and everyone's writing, videoclips and pics!

WilliamWes and omikron like this.
  9. omikron

omikron Avid contributor to Paul McCartney's bank account Thread Starter

Enlighten me first. What's this about?

Edit: NVM. Taught myself to Googlefish. Reference Library - The Lost Ringo Album - Internet Beatles Album

Interesting. We can spend time on this. I was going to surprise everyone, but I was also going to post the slew of TV commercials Ringo did in the 80s too in between our Old Wave and All Star Band segments.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2019
    theMess, Rfreeman, WilliamWes and 2 others like this.
  10. MPLRecords

MPLRecords Owner of eleven copies of Tug of War

I actually still have some promo materials from those ad campaigns.
    (I'll elaborate more when we get to it.)

SixOClockBoos and omikron like this.
  11. Hey the 80’s may not have been as kind (they weren’t to any of the Beatles except for George’s come back) as they could hav been but at least we didn’t lose him to the drink and drugs that were overwhelming his life.

12. omikron

Amen.

Ringo Hendrix likes this.
  13. SixOClockBoos

SixOClockBoos The Man On The Flaming Pie

Not sure if this will bring any discussion, but Ringo did narrate the first two seasons of Thomas the Tank Engine and Friends in between Old Wave and Time Takes Time. Not sure if anyone here saw the show, but I sure did as a kid.

jeremylr, omikron and theMess like this.
  14. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

If we are veering into discussion of his acting, I feel Caveman (which came right about the same time as "Stop" was by far his best performance - also one of his only starring roles and by far his most commercially successful non-Beatles film.

omikron and blutiga like this.
  15. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

Not to entirely disagree, but I believe his performance in That'll Be The Day was rightly lauded. He was tremendous in that.

16. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

I can't quite explain why, but to me 'Stop And Smell The Roses' is leagues above all of Ringo's album's after 'Goodnight Vienna'. He sounds reinvigorated, and even the lesser tracks are pleasant to listen to (in most cases).

I think that Paul's two contributions are fantastic and both suit Ringo really well; George's is even stronger, a deserved top 40 hit. I also think that George and Paul did an excellent job with the other songs that they produced for Ringo, so all in all, this is a very decent album for Ringo to 'come back' with, even if the other original songs that he were given weren't all at the same standard as Paul and George's songs.

It is such a shame for so many reasons that John's songs couldn't make the album; it would be interesting to know which songs he was going to give to Ringo, and I have no doubt that they would have strengthened the album.

Ringo's vocals are much more solid on this album than the few preceding it, and his drumming is excellent. I also love the album cover, and was pleased that the album got a shout out in that movie a few years ago (I can't remember which, but it was a big romcom).

pantofis, omikron, MPLRecords and 3 others like this.
  17. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

18. WilliamWes

I didn't address the bonus tracks so I tossed together a non-LP songs playlist of what we have so far...

RINGO STARR – YOU CAN’T FIGHT LIGHTNING (not released in 1982)

1. Coochy Coochy (B)
    2. It Don’t Come Easy (A+)
    3. Early 1970 (A-)
    4. Back Off Boogaloo (A-)
    5. Blindman (B+)
    6. Down And Out (B)
    7. Just A Dream (B-)
    8. Wake Up (B)
    9. Red And Black Blues (C.)
    10. Brandy (B)
    11. You Can’t Fight Lightning (C-)

So I put together a compilation of non-LP songs from 1970-1981 -anything that didn’t make a proper album not counting the best of.

For the second half tracks- The 1977 disco “Just A Dream” is better than some of the tracks on Ringo The 4th – particularly the songs from the weak mid-section. It’s upbeat, with plenty of disco strings but it’s not a bad melody and Ringo sings as well as he did on the album. The love ballad, Ringo’s “Wake Up” has some fine moments. The ‘why is it so?’ upbeat section is very good, so are the lighter verses. Ringo tries hard vocally on this as well. “Red And Black Blues” is pretty average vocally, melodically, the backing. Not much to say on this one. Just your standard rock song. “Brandy” is almost as good as “Wake Up”. It’s another soft love ballad and this has some nice changeups in tempo and heartfelt singing from Ringo. Another impressive extra track. “You Can’t Fight Lightning” is a very rare hard rock track in Ringo’s catalog and for that, it’s worth hearing but it’s not necessarily very good. With Paul and Linda in the wings, the long brass filled jam is a left turn from Ringo’s norm but there’s no melody and Ringo just speaks the lines. Good to have these extra tracks but I wanted to do something with them instead of just add them to ‘Roses’.

omikron, blutiga and theMess like this.
  19. GubGub

GubGub Forum Resident

Yes. A much bigger movie in the UK than Caveman, which tanked here. And by far Ringo's finest and most respected film performance.

20. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Never managed to see That'll Be The Day. Is it available for viewing anywhere these days?

omikron likes this.
  21. FredV

FredV Senior Member

omikron, blutiga and Rfreeman like this.
  22. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Thanks, conveniently just started a 1 month free trial of Amazon Prime

omikron, blutiga, theMess and 2 others like this.
  23. omikron

Tomorrow . . .

[​IMG]

Rfreeman, SixOClockBoos and FredV like this.
  24. MPLRecords

MPLRecords Owner of eleven copies of Tug of War

25. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

:D

omikron and MPLRecords like this.