Ringo Starr: Album By Album Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by omikron, Jun 25, 2019.

1. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

It would be tough for our selective appreciations of this album to be much more different.

SixOClockBoos, theMess and omikron like this.
  2. omikron

omikron Avid contributor to Paul McCartney's bank account Thread Starter

Our original road map was to do the remaining flock of live releases after the three studio albums.

We'll end up hitting them all before 10/25 regardless of the order.

But I would suspect all the new album discussion will occur on the album page instead of here. Unless you can get everyone to convert here but that might be needless.

I'm also all for discussing any misc tracks left over. But what else is there? Does any one want to start compiling a list?

What's irking me the most is the total lack of people on this thread. We seem to be down to just a handful of troopers here. I do appreciate reading everyone's reviews though. We all seem to more or less be in general agreement on things though.

Maybe we'll get some good discussion on 2012 when I post that in a couple days because THAT is a sorry excuse for an album.

3. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Yeah 2012 is about the laziest thing he has ever done. I cant say I am shocked that responses have dwindled with hisnlater and poorest selling releases.

I do think we will get higher quality discussion of new album here than on new album discussion which seems to be mostly people slagging off Ringo and bemoaning the fact that a John Lennon isnt being reanimated as a low fidelity ghost to do 3 part harmony on "grow old along with me" on his upcoming release.

But with as much discussion as will occur there, I do think it makes sense to start discussing Whats My Name here at the same time so we can direct people here who more want to appreciate it than complain.

4. lavalamp3

lavalamp3 Forum Resident

I'm still here, sir!

To be honest, none of the 'post Hudson' albums have particularly impressed me but I do enjoy checking the thread just to see if there's any recommendations for songs I should perhaps re-evaluate.

I understand why all Ringo's recent material is recorded at his home studio - he's having fun with friends and there probably isn't the budgets or sufficient profits made from these albums to warrant hiring expensive studios, but consequently, they all sound rather samey.

However, all power to Ringo. I'm delighted he still makes them and I still make a point of buying every one. I always treat the albums as if receiving a welcome postcard from a dear friend (no pun intended - that particular album is yet to come!) I enjoy hearing him make music, even if I don't always particularly like the music itself (if that makes any sense!) If there's one track on the album that I like, it's a bonus for me.

I wasn't that keen on Liverpool 8 or Y Not but I did enjoy Walk With You.

Yes, probably worse was to follow (particularly the 2012 album) but I certainly feel his most recent effort ('Give More Love') has seen an upturn in quality and I shall be checking in to celebrate it!

5. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

Yeah, I'm still hanging in here too. Just a really busy time of year at work, so I haven't been able to listen/contribute each time as I could earlier. I'll be here to the end of the beginning.

MPLRecords, theMess, mrjinks and 2 others like this.
  6. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

^^^
    What he said.

Every one of these album-by-album threads just goes way too fast for me. When I get behind, I tend to just quit.,.

omikron, RayS and theMess like this.
  7. pokemaniacjunk

pokemaniacjunk Forum Resident

I've already started working on one

Hey Would You Hold It Down
    Fiddle About
    Tommy's Holiday Camp
    Lay Down Your Arms
    When You Wish Upon A Star
    I Call Your Name
    Band of Steel (With Guthrie Thomas)

You could also add Outtakes like

Picasso and Taking A Trip In Carolina (From the Get Back Sessions)
    Stormy Weather (from the Sentimental Journey Sessions)
    The Wishing Book (From Beaucoups of Blues sessions)

there's probably some others that can be added

GAW Jr., WilliamWes, jeremylr and 2 others like this.
  8. Guy Smiley

Guy Smiley America’s Favorite Game Show Host

I’d give Ringo Rama a serious listen. That’s my favorite “recent” Ringo album, just for “Instant Amnesia” (A trippy favorite of mine, with David Gilmour on guitar!) alone, but plenty of other good songs too. The guests don’t needlessly get in the way either. Very strong collection!

After the albums Ringo and Beaucoups of Blues, it’s easily my favorite of his. But Time Takes Time and Vertical Man are strong albums as well.

9. FredV

FredV Senior Member

I should contribute because,...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    They’re talking about my bloody albums!
    [​IMG]

10. omikron

pokemaniacjunk likes this.
  11. lavalamp3

lavalamp3 Forum Resident

Boys from Jools Holland's 'Small World, Big Band' is a blast... Ringo covers Ringo!

omikron and pokemaniacjunk like this.
  12. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

"When You Wish upon a Star"
    Stay Awake: Various Interpretations of Music from Vintage Disney Films

"You Never Know"
    Curly Sue: Music from the Motion Picture

"Lay Down Your Arms"
    (With Stevie Nicks)
    For the Love of Harry: Everybody Sings Nilsson

"Boys"
    Jools Holland Jack O The Green

Cut You Lose
    Kenny Wayne Shepherd Goin' Home

"Hey, Would You Hold It Down?"
    King Of The Road: Tribute To Roger Miller

(Perhaps leave the last 2 til we get there chronologically on our way to the 2019 release)

Last edited: Sep 28, 2019
  13. Bruce M.

Bruce M. Forum Resident

I don't own Y Not and haven't heard about 2/3 of it, but I do love Walk With You. It's a solid track on its own, but Paul's harmonies lift it into the stratosphere.

14. SixOClockBoos

SixOClockBoos The Man On The Flaming Pie

Ok! I've finally completed my Ringo Favorite songs/albums list with some slight tweaking from the order of some of the songs I ranked on albums. Also, I realized that I'm ready to lose credibility here for some of my choices.

1970's:

Top 25 Favorite Ringo Songs from the 70's

1. Photograph
    2. It's No Secret
    3. Where Did Our Love Go
    4. Tonight
    5. Only You (And You Alone)
    6. You're Sixteen (You're Beautiful and You're Mine)
    7. Occapella
    8. It Don't Come Easy
    9. Stardust
    10. You Don't Know Me At All
    11. Simple Love Song
    12. Lady Gaye
    13. Six O'Clock
    14. Oh My My
    15. Gypsies In Flight
    16. Out On The Streets
    17. Pure Gold
    18. Tango All Night
    19. Heart On My Sleeve
    20. Cookin' (In The Kitchen Of Love)
    21. I'm The Greatest
    22. Just A Dream
    23. Who Needs A Heart
    24. Have You Seen My Baby
    25. A Dose Of Rock & Roll

70's Ringo Albums

1. Ringo The 4th :hide:
    2. Ringo
    3. Bad Boy
    4. Ringo's Rotogravure
    5. Goodnight Vienna
    6. Sentimental Journey
    7. Beaucoups Of Blues

1980's:

Top 10 Favorite Ringo Songs From The 1980's

1. Picture Show Life
    2. Nice Way
    3. Attention
    4. In My Car
    5. Wake Up
    6. Red & Black Blues
    7. Wrack My Brain
    8. Be My Baby
    9. Brandy
    10. You Belong To Me

80's Ringo Albums

1. Stop & Smell The Roses
    2. Old Wave

pantofis, WilliamWes, theMess and 2 others like this.
  15. SixOClockBoos

1990's:

Top 20 Favorite Ringo Songs From The 1990's

1. La De Da
    2. What In The... World
    3. Don't Know A Thing About Love
    4. What Goes Around
    5. All In The Name Of Love
    6. After All These Years
    7. I Wanna Be Santa Claus
    8. Don't Be Cruel
    9. Weight Of The World
    10. King Of Broken Hearts
    11. One
    12. In A Heartbeat
    13. I Call Your Name
    14. I'm Yours
    15. Vertical Man
    16. Christmas Eve
    17. Everyday
    18. You Never Know
    19. Golden Blunders
    20. Sometimes

90's Ringo Albums

1. Time Takes Time
    2. Vertical Man
    3. I Wanna Be Santa Claus

2000's:

Top 20 Favorite Ringo Songs From The 2000's

1. Give It A Try
    2. Love First, Ask Questions Later
    3. Missouri Loves Company
    4. Imagine Me There
    5. Trippin' On My Own Tears
    6. Satisfied
    7. Oh My Lord
    8. Never Without You
    9. Write One For Me
    10. I Think Therefore I Rock & Roll
    11. Me & You
    12. Love Is
    13. Some People
    14. Eye To Eye
    15. Wrong All The Time
    16. Free Drinks
    17. Harry's Song
    18. What Love Wants To Be
    19. It's Love
    20. Boys

2000's Ringo Albums

1. Ringo Rama
    2. Choose Love
    3. Liverpool 8

16. BZync

BZync Senior Member

I'd also like to check in as someone who's still following this thread. I really have to get a life!

After being disappointed by Liverpool 8 I stopped buying the albums. Just purchased one track from Y Not. Guess which one.

Am following along but have little to contribute.

17. omikron

I find it interesting that we are pretty much polar opposites on the 70s list, somewhat on the 80s, perfectly aligned in the 90s and only somewhat so on the 2000s.

Mostly diverging in the 70s because of Ringo the 4th.

Come now. I thought we went over this as a group.

Ringo's worst album is? Everyone? R-i-n-g-o t-h-e- ...

I kid. We all like different things. And I'm glad to see Bad Boy getting some love.

That 90s list is an outstanding mix.

18. omikron

Ringo 2012

[​IMG]

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Ringo 2012 is the 17th studio album by Ringo Starr, released on 30 January 2012 in the UK and 31 January 2012 in the US. It was released on CD, LP and digitally by Hip-O Records and UMe.

Starr had considered calling the album Motel California, then Another #9, and finally Wings, before settling on Ringo 2012.[1]

The album was recorded in Los Angeles, and mixed in England, produced by Starr and Bruce Sugar.[2] The title is a reference to Ringo's most successful solo album Ringo, which was released in 1973.[3] At 28 minutes, it is Starr's shortest album to date.

The cover of "Think It Over" was released on Listen to Me: Buddy Holly tribute album prior to appearance on Ringo 2012. The track "Wings" was released as a single few weeks in advance of the album.[4]

At Metacritic, Ringo 2012 holds an average Metascore of 59 out of 100, based on five professional reviews (which indicates a "mixed or average" reception). The album debuted at Nos. 80 and 181 in the US and UK, selling 6,348 and 752 copies respectively, as of February 2012.[13]

Tracklist
    1 Anthem
    2 Wings
    3 Think It Over
    4 Samba
    5 Rock Island Line
    6 Step Lightly
    7 Wonderful
    8 In Liverpool
    9 Slow Down

My thoughts:

I have a hard time even calling this album an album. At 28 minutes and 9 songs it is barely constitutes one from the physical sense. But also the collection of songs is more of just a random collection to me than an actual “album”. A few new ones, a few covers and a few remakes of old Ringo songs that frankly didn’t need re-envisioning in the first place.

Also making a full-time appearance on this album is the thin, reedy double-tracking designed to hit the auto-tune that may or may not be present. I am not a fan of this. The same technique was used on Brian Wilson’s Pier Pressure and it just frankly sucks the life out of the recordings. Why bother masking Ringo's voice at this point? We know he already wasn't a singer per se in the first place. He's old. Voices change. Just let the voice speak for itself.

In a slew of fairly strong albums for Ringo stringing back frankly to the 80s, this one is a true miss.

Anthem: Actually a great song and another good album opener for Ringo. Can’t miss the Yellow Sub marching and Glass Onion snip to kick off this deep-bass rocker.

Wings: A better recording than the original but it only serves to remind me of Ringo The 4th and that is not a good thing.

Think It Over: A decent enough cover.

Samba: This song has structure and a discernible melody but still seems to aimlessly wander.

Rock Island Line: A decent enough cover.

Step Lightly: Not sure this one is better than the original. It offered a startlingly quiet moment on the Ringo album. Such a moment now is lacking on 2012 as this one is not so light.

Wonderful: This is a nice song. I can imagine the suburban parents going to a concert and “rocking out” to this one. But gotta get back in time to pay the babysitter!

In Liverpool: The supposed end of what is supposedly a trilogy on the subject of Ringo’s youth in Liverpool. A good song still but a bit less effective than the first two.

Slow Down: and the album mercifully ends

Here are my rankings of proper studio albums listed from favorite to least favorite:

Vertical Man
    Ringo
    Time Takes Time
    Liverpool 8
    Stop And Smell The Roses
    Goodnight Vienna
    Y Not
    Ringo Rama
    Ringo’s Rotogravure
    Bad Boy
    Choose Love
    I Wanna Be Santa Claus
    Old Wave
    Ringo 2012 (Oh dear. . . a dud. At least poor Old Wave moved up a slot!)
    Sentimental Journey
    Beaucoup of Blues
    Ringo The 4th

[​IMG]

WilliamWes and pokemaniacjunk like this.
  19. beatleroadie

beatleroadie Forum Resident

Any insider info on whether we will hear "Grow Old With Me" as the next advance track, or do we have to wait till the album release to hear it 10/25?

theMess, omikron and pokemaniacjunk like this.
  20. FredV

FredV Senior Member

Ringo 2012 - A nice Rocking album, a little short in length, but then again this was the standard length of albums back in the 50’s and 60’s. Some good songs like ‘Anthem’ and ‘Wonderful’.

The album for its length is a little heavy on covers, ‘Think It Over’ and ‘Rock Island Line’ are well done. Ringo even covers himself with ‘Wings’ and ‘Step Lightly’. The former is an improvement over the one on ‘Ringo The 4th’ and the latter has a more mellow feel, but I prefer the original on the 1973 ‘Ringo’ which is much more fun and light hearted, and has Ringo tap dancing too! :shtiphat:

A short but fun album. 3/5.

21. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Ringo 2012

Anthem
    Mechanical sounding beat, no melody, dull heavy handed repetitive lyrics, processed vocals. The 30 seconds of 3 guitars trading licks are nice enough, as is the 20 sec of guitar in the outro. But it is ridiculous that they stretch this nothing tune out to 5 min. The first of many moves seemingly designed to stretch 5 new tunes out into a CD (though at 28 min it is still only about the length of the shortest 11 track US Beatles LPs). We are off to a great start.

Wings
    A remake of a track from one of his worst albums. I guess it's a little better this time around. It has some nice lead guitar. But really unessential.

Think It Over
    A Buddy Holly cover repurposed from a Holly tribute album. Not a bad idea still until we get to the steel drum sound keyboard solo.

Samba
    Not the biggest fan of Ringo's occasional dabbling with Latin music. But at least it's an original, it's got a melody, and it's not a remake. But overall we are 4 tracks in and nothing has me wanting to go back and listen again.

Rock Island Line
    This folk/skiffle cover is the best track so far. But it's not essential. Things come to life a bit at the guitar solo as the drumming also gets more compelling when the guitar lead starts.

Step Lightly
    Let's remake the worst track on the Ringo LP - how else can we stretch this thing to 28 minutes? If we get 9 tracks on here they can't call it an EP, right? Ok the electric piano part has a nice groove.

Wonderful
    Not only is this by far the best track on the album - it actually rises to the level of good. Nice melody, very cool drum part (especially in the choruses), tasty bass line and sweet lead guitar. Ok the lyrics are a bit on the sappy, but I'll take a love song to Barbara over most of his other lyrical approaches on this album. Winner!

In Liverpool.
    Well it's better than Liverpool 8, if not as fun as The Other Side of Liverpool. Are the new rules to the game that we get one song about Liverpool, one song about Peace, a love song to Barbara and some Beatle references on each album?

Slow Down
    Its a nice surprise to get one and realize its not a cover of a Beatles cover. One of the better tunes here, thanks largely to nice slide guitar from Joe Walsh.

Summary
    One of Ringo's weakest efforts. Only two cuts I would really return to: Wonderful and Slow Down. Maybe In Liverpool as well, being right in between the others. It doesn't even sound like he is having much fun on most of this. I am sure nobody at the record company was breathing down his neck demanding new product, so he really should have waited until he had enough decent new material, even if it had taken 11 months and required a different title.

22. pokemaniacjunk

pokemaniacjunk Forum Resident

Anthem: It's a nice little song and I like the Glass Onion drums in the intro

Wings: I Still prefer the original but I quite enjoy this as well

Think It Over: I enjoy it but it feels like this this was thrown on the album to pad it out

Samba: I like the song and think it's pretty catchy

Rock Island Line: It's good enough to listen to but I usually skip it

Step Lightly: I think its way better than the one on Ringo and I love the electric piano on it

Wonderful: It's a nice little song and I enjoy the chorus

In Liverpool: I think its the best track on the album

Slow Down: It's a nice track but it doesn't seem like the best song to end the album with

overall it's a good Ringo album but it seems like something that came about at the last minute decision and its way too short, the album could really benefit from a few more songs and a rearranged tracklist

theMess and omikron like this.
  23. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

My ranking of Ringo 1970 through Ringo 2012 reveals Ringo 2012 to be his least impressive outing other than 4 songs on a kids soundtrack cd to a cartoon that was never made.

1. Ringo Rama
    2. Blast From Your Past
    3.Vertical Man
    4. Goodnight Vienna
    5. Ringo
    6. Time Takes Time
    7. Choose Love
    8. Stop & Smell The Roses
    9. Liverpool 8
    10. I Want To Be Santa Claus
    11. Old Wave
    12. Y Not
    13. Bad Boy
    14. Ringo the IVth
    15. Beaucoups of Blues
    16. Sentimental Journey
    17. Rotogravure
    18. Ringo 2012
    19. Scouse the Mouse

24. MPLRecords

MPLRecords Owner of eleven copies of Tug of War

I've fallen behind in actual reviews because life has been kinda busy for a while, but I'm pretty much in agreement with the praise thrown at Ringo Rama, Choose Love, and Liverpool 8 and the reaction towards Y Not.

Ringo 2012... lame. Agree with you guys, this one is a total misstep. Thankfully it's only 28 minutes.

25. SixOClockBoos

When I ranked about 60% of the Ringo catalogue, Ringo The 4th landed at number 1. Three years later and that hasn't changed. I will say I was hoping for Time Takes Time to overtake Ringo The 4th once I realized Ringo The 4th scored better than Ringo, just to save some credibility on this forum :D.

But hey, at least our 90's preferences are spot on!