RIP Joe Flaherty, 1941-2024*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by FredV, Apr 2, 2024.

1. Al Kuenster

Al Kuenster Senior Member

R.I.P. :cry:

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  2. JPagan

JPagan Generation 13

An asterisk [*] in the title usually means that a moderator has edited it.

3. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    Joseph “Joe” Flaherty 1941 – 2024

Rest In Peace Mr. Flaherty and Thank You so very much for the
    laughs you gave us and the lasting Comic legacy you’ve provided
    us with.

Adam9, Judge Judy, Old Rusty and 3 others like this.
  4. nosticker

nosticker Forum Guy

RIP Guy Caballero. Loved him in Used Cars, too.

Dan

5. bekayne

bekayne Senior Member

Crazy like a snake

[​IMG]

6. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

7. EProphet

EProphet Forum Resident

R.I.P. Joe Flaherty
    Small cameo as one of the border guards in Stripes

8. jazzsurfer

jazzsurfer Forum Resident

“Wasn’t that scary?”

9. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Sad news! One of my favorites. RIP, Count.

10. Fromod

Fromod Forum Resident

Loved Joe on SCTV. I thought Joe would be the big breakout star. Guess I was wrong, that was John Candy.

11. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

One of the many brilliant cogs in the machine that was SCTV. RIP Mr. Caballero.

12. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

No sadness here at his loss; happens to everybody eventually. He had a lifetime of whimsy and creativity, and a relative moment of a coda.

But he had a fourth of his lifetime, to reflect and be proud of all the joy he accomplished leading up to that.

My god, look at that obituary - starting with Second City, and a finale teaching comedy writing - giving back, baby!

I'm more envious of those who have yet to find out about him, and see his best work.

When he enters the Dark Realm and he walks up to Beelzebub...he's gonna rip off his mask, revealing it's really St. Peter, who says:
    "Dude - we've been waiting for ya! Now grab your halo, and get to the Writers Room as fast as ya can! They're stuck on this sketch that needs punching-up!"

13. W.B.

W.B. The Collector's Collector

Given that he grew up in Pittsburgh, I oft wondered if Mr. Flaherty modeled, at least in part, the persona of SCTV News anchor Floyd Robertson on a longtime Pittsburgh TV anchor, Bill Burns, who from reading his bio and certain anecdotal stories sounded similar in some ways to Joe's characterization of Floyd, in much the same way Eugene Levy had patterned the persona of Earl Camembert on Buffalo, NY TV news legend Irv Weinstein. Alas, with Mr. Flaherty now gone, it seems that in terms of that, he took whatever basis he had with him to the grave.
    [​IMG]
    Even though, as Count Floyd, he was loosely based on the likes of "Chilly Billy" Cardille and TV announcer George Eisenhauer . . .

14. JFS3

JFS3 Senior Member

Oh no.

RIP.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  15. mr. steak

mr. steak Forum Resident

Damn. Heaven just gained another Neat Guy.

RIP.

16. jazon

jazon A fight between the blue you once knew

He was great. I, as many others grew up watching him and the comedic greats on SCTV and loved seeing him in smaller roles like in Back To The Future, Happy Gilmore and Detroit Rock City to name a few.

17. grouploner

grouploner Forum Resident

This is so sad to hear.

The first time I saw Count Floyd on Monster Chiller Horror Theatre, I knew immediately where Joe Flaherty grew up, and it was so fun to see the occasional Pittsburgh reference in many of his sketches. Bill Cardille's Chiller Theater was a huge show in these parts, and definitely a part of every Pittsburgh kid's TV viewing during my growing-up years.

From Wikipedia:

"The title Monster Chiller Horror Theatre was taken from the Chiller Theatre, a longtime local horror film show on WIIC (now WPXI) television in Pittsburgh, Joe Flaherty's hometown. While host Bill Cardille (also known as "Chilly Billy") was nothing like Count Floyd (Cardille wore a coat and tie and spoke in his normal voice), the Dracula-esque persona adopted by Floyd may have been based on another Pittsburgh TV horror show host. The 1958-59 Friday night program "The Thirteenth Hour," broadcast over KDKA-TV Channel 2 featured the vampire-like "Igor," actually KDKA staff announcer George Eisenhauer whose costume bore no small resemblance to Count Floyd's.

"...Occasionally, Count Floyd would be joined by a vampire-caped sidekick known as The Pittsburgh Midget, played by Flaherty's brother Paul Flaherty, an obvious counterpart to diminutive Stefan, the Castle Prankster, played by Stephen Michael Luncinski on Chiller Theatre."

And of course, who could forget when Count Floyd had to improvise the plot of the horror classic "Blood Sucking Monkeys From West Mifflin, Pennsylvania" right on the spot?

Thanks Joe, for the laughter. The world needs more smiles, not less. You will be missed. RIP.

18. grouploner

grouploner Forum Resident

I never thought of that! Bill Burns was definitely a local legend at that time, and I could see the similarities for sure...

bekayne and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  19. JediJones

JediJones Forum Resident

Depending on how you count, Rick Moranis might edge out John Candy as the bigger star. In a leading role, he had the biggest hit of any SCTV member with Honey I Shrunk the Kids. Candy still has the biggest hit in any size role with Home Alone, although Moranis is not far behind with Ghostbusters. Candy's biggest hit as a lead appears to be Cool Runnings, but that's significantly smaller than Honey. Candy did appear in almost twice as many movies though.

Their complete box office totals on The Numbers show Moranis with $1,765,186,281 and Candy just $7 million ahead. But they're missing Strange Brew, which made $8.5 million and would put Moranis over the top. There are a lot more reasons those numbers could be inaccurate though, as box office data is inconsistent and not well-maintained online from before the '90s.

They did appear in at least three movies together, Brewster's Millions, Little Shop of Horrors and Spaceballs. Candy famously was offered Rick's part in Ghostbusters but turned it down.

20. mcchocchoc

mcchocchoc Forum Resident

R.I.P. Joe. One of my favorite funnymen of all time. Thanks for many decades of joy and laughter.
    [​IMG]

Amnion, Matthew Tate, mfcmad and 2 others like this.
  21. God bless Joe...RIP

22. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

What a fantastic show 'SCTV' was. Brilliant comedy, much wittier than ' Saturday Night Live' ever could be.
    And Flaherty was great in it. The whole cast was terrific.

23. Moshe

Moshe "Silent in four languages."

RIP.
    :cry:

Loved him.

24. bekayne

bekayne Senior Member

25. mfcmad

mfcmad Touch and Go

What sad news. I loved his work.