RIP Mr. Peanut dead at age 104

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by melstapler, Jan 23, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nice Marmot

Nice Marmot Nothin’ feels right but doin’ wrong anymore

Finally.... a RIP thread for someone I actually recognize.

2. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

Y'all gonna laugh at me for my serious take on this - that's ok :) Anyway, I don't like it and I think it's a bad move for Planters. I like MR Peanut - I mean, he's not the most exciting brand character, but he's cool and he's unique. I think the creators of him did the best you could do with making a character from a peanut - they did good.

So, he's been around a long time, he's well known, he's either pretty well-liked or at least not offensive to anyone and he's easily associated with the brand - that's pretty good history there for Planters. And now they are going to throw all that away for a one shot goofy hyped ad? That's very short-sighted.

I'm going to miss him and I don't mind saying that no character should ever endanger themselves to save Wesley Snipes - I mean, come on, at least choose an actor or a celebrity that people actually like. IT's just a really bad idea and decision all around.

3. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

4. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist Thread Starter

Today, Wesley Snipes posted this touching message on his Twitter:

WS (@wesleysnipes) | Twitter
    Every day, I thank
    @MrPeanut for his sacrifice.
    I wouldn’t be here without him.

[​IMG] #RIPeanut

[​IMG]
    #ad

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  5. Considering the circumstances of Mr. Peanuts death, what with the explosion and subsequent fire, I am wonder how horrifyingly offended some will be when he reappears in black face?

6. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

905, melstapler and Matthew Tate like this.
  7. Yawndave

Yawndave Forum Resident

Some may recall The Priceline Negotiator's fiery death back in 2012. Turned out he didn't die, but took up life as a surfer on a remote island.

MikaelaArsenault and melstapler like this.
  8. antoniod

antoniod Forum Resident

I remember seeing this badly animated educational film in school with Cliff Edwards("Jiminy Cricket")as the voice of Mr Peanut singing "Mr. Peanut has a name......"

MikaelaArsenault and melstapler like this.
  9. sons of nothing

sons of nothing Forum Resident

Remember when New Coke was introduced? I predict Mr. Peanut will return.

10. BeatlesObsessive

BeatlesObsessive The Earl of Sandwich Ness

Maybe they're looking for a way to bring a dangerous edge to peanuts which need to catch up with nuts like pecans, walnuts, pistachios. Millennials will pay 15 bucks for a bag of stachios but think eating a handful of peanuts is like hanging with Grandpa!

905, Sammy Banderas and melstapler like this.
  11. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist Thread Starter

Gone, but not forgotten.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

They'll probably replace him with a new, improved Ms. Peanut.

13. Raylinds

Raylinds Resident Lake Surfer

Mr. Peanut was obviously allergic to exploding cars.

14. Spaghettiows

Spaghettiows Forum Resident

Mr. Peanut was cool and all, but I'll have a tougher time dealing with the death of Bibendum a/k/a The Michelin Tire Man once he loses all of his air.

[​IMG]

15. If this happens I wonder how they will convey her superior intellect and strength?

seed_drill likes this.
  16. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

Don’t worry. Michelin is working on airless tires. Not kidding.

melstapler and Spaghettiows like this.
  17. Whizz Kid

Whizz Kid Forum Resident

Agreed... this reminds me of what they've done to Colonel Sanders in the last few years. :rolleyes:

Some millennial with a marketing degree decides that a well-recognized benign character with decades of history needs to be more "edgy" or whatever. So, instead of a kindly grandfather in a white suit, we now have this fairly unpleasant dumb stereotype of a Southern cracker selling chicken. They treat these advertising icons like they're disposable... but once they're changed, it's kind of forever.

As you said, a really bad idea and decision all around.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2020
    j_rocker, melstapler and Tim S like this.
  18. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Anyone know if there was a Roast held for Mr. Peanut in last few years?

19. If Mr. Peanut emerges from the ashes, toasty and brown, (roasted) with a George Hamilton like face I will laugh my head off.

20. jimac51

jimac51 A mythical beast.

Even in death,a cameo on SNL's opening 1/25.
    Seriously,I think Kraft/Heinz wants to rid stock of Planters product ASAP. Currently a local grocery chain has been pricing Planter's Dry Roasted Peanuts below store-brand. Add to that,display for Super Bowl(sorry,I meant "The Big Game" as I do not want any NFL goons showing up),the jars have "buy 2,save a buck" coupons attached to the jar by salesfolk;this kind of coupon is usually reserved for close code product. A big deal for me,as the unsalted variety is a treat for this diabetic with heart disease. Odd, though, that I've consistently found the store brand with higher quality than Planter's. Too many skins,while that is a rarity in private label brands. If K/H is indeed trying to get rid product with Mr. Peanut labels,I'd expect a call to Ollie's Bargain Outlet for the probable tons of product in storage. Good stuff cheap! Notice that when K/H got rid of cookies and candy to spin off as Mondelez International,K/H kept Planter's. There must be tons of profits for them;possibly more than Oreo's, which they ditched.

rmath84 and melstapler like this.
  21. GMfan87'

GMfan87' Forum Resident

So everyone see the commercial with "Baby Nut", what do you think?
    Very cute but should of kept Mister Peanut.

melstapler likes this.
  22. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Planters are the most well-known brand of peanuts (and nuts) in the U.S. They consistently sell great and are a staple in many families for get-togethers. I'm sure they sell very well. :)

melstapler likes this.
  23. jimac51

jimac51 A mythical beast.

What I'm referring to is physical product on hand,either in stores or in warehouses. Ridding themselves to bring in new merchandise with possible new labeling may happen. As for what Kraft/Heinz got rid of-consider that after the merger Mondelez International was spun off,basically as the stuff that Mondelez made & distributed weren't as profitable as the stuff that stayed with Kraft/Heinz. The Mondelez stuff includes Nabisco Oreos and Cadbury candy. The K/H stuff includes ketchup, packaged cheese and,yes,Planters.

melstapler likes this.
  24. Hadean75

Hadean75 Forum Moonlighter

25. JohnO

JohnO Senior Member

They finally brought Planter's Cheez Balls and the related types back a few months ago, after being gone for many years. I was surprised to see them on the shelf, but I have not purchased one yet. I remember I thought they were the best tasting cheez snack of the type.
    https://www.planters.com/product/00029000023864

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.