Ripping CD's without an internal drive

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by UltraDNS, Dec 6, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. UltraDNS

UltraDNS Staying in Seattle? Thread Starter

Hi,

Just upgrade to a new Dell Alienware Aurora R13 which has no internal slot loading drive DVD/BluRay drive. My old Alienware, which I'm sending to a friend, did. My question is how do you rip music without such a drive?

Thanks.
    Eric

2. Does the Dell have USB ports?

3. rodentdog

rodentdog Senior Member

I use an external USB blu-ray drive LG.

4. UltraDNS

UltraDNS Staying in Seattle? Thread Starter

Yes, I do have USB ports. As RodentDog just mentioned, I guess I should look into an external drive?

5. RunningWithScissors

RunningWithScissors Forum Resident

I got one for my MacBook for about $30. They're cheap enough and well worth it.

6. Yes :)

7. TheVinylAddict

TheVinylAddict Look what I found

Ripped about 40 CDs this last weekend on my laptop with a $15 Thinkpad USB external drive.... yes, sounds like what you need.

jbmcb likes this.
  8. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

Just for Schlitz 'n giggles, it's not very difficult to install an optical drive. Your machine probably has an empty bay just waiting for something...

ispace likes this.
  9. ukrules

ukrules Forum Resident

Agreed...I would do this if you import regularly.

10. BIGGER Dave

BIGGER Dave Forum Resident

D-rock and Carl Swanson like this.
  11. ukrules

ukrules Forum Resident

Carl Swanson likes this.
  12. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

13. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Not these days. Most people no longer use internal drives. The computer makers, incliding the case manufacturers, no longer offer them because they cater to the gamer market, as if they are the only ones who use computers.:rolleyes:

But, the OP was talking about laptops, and Apple started that trend several years ago of not providing ROM drives so they could make them slimmer and lighter.

I favor desktop computers. I always build in a case with drive bays because I like the convenience of an internal drive. In my experience, they also don't malfunction as often and last me many years. But, I admit that these days, I don't use the drive much anymore, as I rarely buy CDs anymore. The only time I really use it is when someone wants me to burn a CD-R for them, whom are usually gen-X'ers or baby-boomers who are still stuck on CDs.

14. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

USB exclosure that takes a SATA drive. Enclosure = $40. Cheap LG SATA drive for $20. When drive burns out, pop another in the enclosure. Use EAC or dBPoweramp for ripping. I have ripped thousands of CDs using this system BTW.

Jim N., qwerty, Shawn and 1 other person like this.
  15. kings81

kings81 Forum Resident

Wow that's an awesome looking computer.

16. Carl Swanson

I have a Pioneer internal that I put in when the OEM Sony started dipsticking on me, and an inexpensive Dell USB external. If I'm doing more that 3-4 rips, I'll alternate.

Occasionally one will rip a track that the other won't.

Eric_Generic likes this.
  17. tootull

tootull I tried to catch my eye but I looked the other way

18. Carl Swanson

Ah. Couldn't tell that from his description.

19. BIGGER Dave

BIGGER Dave Forum Resident

20. Carl Swanson

21. drh

drh Talking Machine

If you are going to add an external drive and plan to rip many discs, look carefully for one that has a traditional "drop in" tray as opposed to a "snap on" hub. I could find very few recently when I replaced my defunct old external drive, a $10 thrift store purchase from several years ago. I ended up buying one branded Kanguru, not because I knew anything about it and certainly not because it was the least expensive choice (it decidedly wasn't) but because I couldn't find much else that wouldn't require snapping each disc onto a hub on a skeletal sled. Having taken on several of those big "Composer X's complete works" CD sets at a giveaway party a while back, I'm facing a major copying project (I rip all my CDs to an external hard drive and then archive the physical discs--more convenient playback, and I think the sound is better than component players, at least at the modest level I've had), and I don't want to face fiddling with snapping each one onto a hub and then snapping it off again throughout.

For what it's worth, so far, knock on wood, the Kanguru has worked OK, but I haven't copied more than a handful of discs with it at this point; been too busy doing needle drops to the same hard drive.

22. Carl Swanson

We are of one mind.

23. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

bluejimbop likes this.
  24. fish

fish Senior Member

One thing I seriously recommend looking for in an external CD ROM (or any external device) is a separate power source. One that does NOT pull its v from the USB buss! In other words, one that uses a 5V USB wart for phone charging that powers the device. Its much quieter and better that way.
    Some will come with a cable that has 2 USB paddles that will draw the extra current from the USB buss. Find one that uses a plug-in wart.

And use at least this level of USB cable: https://www.amazon.com/AudioQuest-F...8838182&sprefix=Audioquest+USB,aps,175&sr=8-5

Actually makes a difference. Allegedly.
    :hide:

ispace and bluejimbop like this.
  25. tootull

tootull I tried to catch my eye but I looked the other way

Working well for about a year now. Wouldn't want to be rough with it. :)

bluejimbop likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.