Ripping Vinyl To Laptop Computer, What Is Really The Best Way??

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Litejazz53, Aug 6, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vinylsolution

vinylsolution Forum Resident

Mine (post LP cleaning is):
    1. Turntable --> PS Audio NuWave Phono Converter [from analog output, into Tascam]
    2. Tascam DR-100mkiii [capture @ 24-bit/192kHZ WAV [to microSD card]
    3. Move WAV file from microSD to MacBook Pro
    4. Use Izotope RX7 [de-click, split tracks, dither/resample, create 24/96 flacs]
    5. KID3 [tag flac files]
    Done.

FrankieP and Exotiki like this.
  2. Exotiki

Exotiki The Future Ain’t What It Use To Be

Oh yeah: Pro-tip. If your computer can handle 32 bit recording. Do it. This will allow you a lot more wiggle room if you over or underdrive the recording when first starting so that you can adjust the level later. (After a few discs you’ll get a feel for recording level and you can stop using 32 bit if you wish)

Also to make the LP side the loudest without distortion or compression, at the end of recording simply go to the top effect tab--->Amplify-->(make sure Allow clipping is off) and press ok. This automatically takes the very tip of the loudest point in the recording and makes it 0db.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2020
    dkmonroe likes this.
  3. PoeRaider

PoeRaider Forum Resident

I would also suggest going the portable recorder route. Tascam, Korg, etc. Pick a machine with excellent quality converters.

In the past I have used a USB audio interface and recorded using pc software. This is a perfectly viable solution, but if your pc hiccups or stutters your recording may be interrupted. I actually have found this to be a bigger issue since upgrading from Win7 to Win 10. So much for progress. Possibly user error or a configuration problem, but worth a mention. I keep all drivers and programs updated.

Geordiepete and SteelyNJ like this.
  4. SKBubba

SKBubba Forum Resident

Keep it simple. And check out Vinyl Studio.

5. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

+1, Vinyl Studio is Da Shizzle!!! The Lite version came with my old NAD PP3i, but I bought the full version and never looked back.

DrZhivago likes this.
  6. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

This is more the reason I like the stand alone recorder. It's just a matter of setting the levels, then arm it by pressing record, then hit the Play/Pause button to start. Pretty much the same process we all used with tape for decades. Only little bit of complexity is to get used to the processes on the PC for repairing, splitting, saving on the PC. But the good thing is that since the recording and processing are separate, you can keep plugging away at getting all your recording done and process it at your leisure. Hell, you can do the recording during a normal listening session.

Geordiepete, BrettyD and Exotiki like this.
  7. ghost rider

ghost rider Forum Resident

I agree. I went down this road and have spent boat loads of money and time. At the end of the day most people can't hear any difference between a CD and my needle drops. Don't get me wrong it's a labor of love. Also since I started having tinnitus symptoms a year ago not sure I can hear as much fidelity as before. My upgrades are a thing of the past.

c-eling, Exotiki and patient_ot like this.
  8. Litejazz53

Litejazz53 Perfect Sound Through Crystal Clear Digital Thread Starter

This is good to know. My first go at this, I seem to want to try the interface option, and I hope my computer does not experience any hiccups with the conversion process, dropouts, stutters, etc. I have the HP ENVY with an I-7 processor, so hopefully the conversion will be smooth and flawless. Another thing is my hesitation to invest several hundred dollars on the digital recorder. Of the two channel interface processors, the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2, third generation seems to be the sweet spot at about $150.00. I need to ask Apesbrain a question or two and then the process can begin.

PoeRaider likes this.
  9. Litejazz53

I think you are right on target with the Scarlett 2i2, third generation, not the most expensive, but apparently a really nice unit, certainly capable of doing the job correctly, when coupled with a good turntable, cartridge and computer. It appears the input on the front allows either a 1/4" mono plug OR a balanced cable connection, but I do not see any input provision for an RCA male plug which would be standard from say a pre-amp out or a phono out into the interface. I'm guessing if one does not have a balanced output from their phono stage or pre-amp, I could purchase a 1/4" plug adaptor with an RCA female input to connect to each of these two inputs. In other words, it only has a 1/4" input or balanced three prong input for each of the two inputs, am I correct? There is no input for an RCA L & R male plug?

https://www.amazon.com/Female-Adapt...9Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

10. Apesbrain

Apesbrain Forum Resident

Those inputs on the front of the Scarlett are "combi-plugs". They accept: 1) balanced on XLR; 2) balanced on TRS; or 3) unbalanced on TS. The cable I linked to is the one you want. Good luck!

c-eling likes this.
  11. Martin Takamine

Martin Takamine Forum Resident

I concur, get the CD if available.

I use the Tascam DR-1 or DR-05X only if the LP is the only format released into the world (not counting tape formats).

SteelyNJ and patient_ot like this.
  12. Sullygr2221

Sullygr2221 Well-Known Member

Like others I use Vinyl Studio but on MACBook Pro. I have a TASCAM UH-7000 usb interface that I record my music at 24/192. I connect the TASCAM to the tape outputs of my preamp and select the phono section to record. I record AIFF files and break down the tracks with Vinyl Studio and do any cleanup as necessary. One thing I did not see in the OP’s post is what files were going to be played on. Are you looking for maximum audio quality (e.g. 96 kHz, 192 kHz, etc.) FLAC files or just compressed MP3s? What resolution you record at makes a difference. Vinyl Studio will let you the save the files to different formats or create a CD if you want.

Gerald

13. Litejazz53

There are basically three ways to get a signal. Just wanted to ask you if you have tried all three and what your opinion is.

I can take a balanced R & L signal from my Parasound JC-3 Jr. to the input of the Scarlett or take a balanced OR an RCA single ended out of the Parasound Pre-amp output OR a single ended out of the Parasound Pre-amp tape output. I'm just guessing, but I would think the cleanest output would be the balanced out of the Parasound JC-2 Jr. Phono stage into the Scarlett. What is your take on this?

14. PoeRaider

PoeRaider Forum Resident

Sounds like a good way to get started, yah the portables are the more costly option for a good conversion quality. I've seen very good comments on the 3rd gen Scarlett, it's actually the budget interface I would most like to give a demo myself. Good luck!

Litejazz53 likes this.
  15. Litejazz53

I would be saving everything at CD quality or better

Sullygr2221 and dkmonroe like this.
  16. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

I think it all depends on what and who you're doing it for. I do my rips for myself alone, and I've never actually invested in unique gear just to do rips. I know that there's a big vinyl-ripping community that creates and shares rips all over the world and there seems to be a certain element of competition there. Since I'm not sharing my rips I don't feel pressure to keep tweaking the process, I just do the best I can with what I have, and I really enjoy the results. Now, if I were doing these to share with hundreds of people I'd be more self-conscious about it, but that's not the point. I'm just trying to add an extra element of portability and convenience to my record collection, and trying to avoid having to add more pieces to my CD collection unless they are particularly desirable on their own merits.

Exotiki and anorak2 like this.
  17. Litejazz53

Gerald, wow, I really like that TASCAM UH-7000 HDIA interface, not knowing anything about either the TASCAM or the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2, third generation, I might be tempted to pay a bit more for the TASCAM, but they both look very nice!

Tascam UH-7000 USB Interface and Standalone Mic Preamp

Sullygr2221 likes this.
  18. Litejazz53

I was not aware people swapped or shared rips, I would really like to get in on that, however, it would be my luck to download a huge rip virus. Can you tell me more about this!

I would be doing these strictly for myself, but I am going to do it right or not at all. After over 45 years, I now have a reasonable table and cartridge to do some of these LP transfers to computer audio (Rega Planar 8 w/Apheta III cart). Like with everything analog, it's all about dotting every i and crossing every t. I think I could go a bit crazy reaching for the perfect transfer! So, at this point not positive on which interface will be the ticket, TASCAM UH-7000 HDIA OR the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2, third generation?
    I did just notice something on the Spec sheet of the TASCAM interface, it does not say it is compatible with Windows 10, surely it is, but Windows 10 is NOT listed. :shrug:

Last edited: Aug 7, 2020
  19. h46e55x

h46e55x What if they believe you?

I’m not real familiar with your preamp, but it looks like it has recording out jacks. Using a digital recorder is going to be worlds less troublesome than a computer interface. I use a Tascam DR-100mkiii myself. The results are very good and you don’t need a pc at your stereo rack. You can record while your doing your normal listening. All you need on the pc is an SD card reader and software like audacity or vinyl studio. The recorder is about $300.00, but in the world of audiophile madness, that is quite cheap.

Litejazz53 likes this.
  20. Litejazz53

I am sooooo on the fence about digital recorder OR Interface. I just need to think about this a bit longer. I absolutely know the digital recorder would be much easier, and I could probably use it to record some live events, I'm thinking!! Thanks :righton:

21. PoeRaider

PoeRaider Forum Resident

The Tascam DR-100mkiii portable is a nice one for the price. Swapping the SD card to a pc card reader is an option, but it can also transfer to pc using a mini-usb to standard usb cable.

The UH-7000 is a nice unit as well. I believe it's no longer in production, but can probably be found lightly used with some hunting.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2020
  22. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Some people, like me, can tell the difference between 96k and 192k. Each person must experiment to find what works for them.

Most sound boards will do at least 192k these days.

Use good RCA cables going into the converter. But, if you can, use balanced cables.

While I now use RX declickers, i'll put in another vote for ClickRepair. It works very well and is quite versitile. It's a bargain! I do not recommend whatever is in Audacity.

23. anorak2

anorak2 Forum Resident

The Macbook because it probably has line level audio in. The iphone doesn't.

24. anorak2

anorak2 Forum Resident

Agree in principle, but there are exception. If there's a CD of the same record available cheaply, go for that. But in some cases the music is not available on CD or other digital formats, or not that exact version or mix. In those cases it is worth digitising yourself.

c-eling and daglesj like this.
  25. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

I've said this before. Pick out the ones that are not available on any other format and just rip those.

I have met several LP fans that have asked me in person how to do this (as the local IT guy) and I tell them the kit and the setups and most of all the patience they will need, and then told them not to bother. However, they still know best and went ahead and spent hundreds of pounds etc. By the third LP all had given up.The reality of real time 1x ripping...

But kudos if you persevere and get through them all to your liking. Well done! I doff my cap etc. :righton:

Check out audio interface options here-

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLsbiTKk7c_YCkVyLbUUsxsJSwTB5hqAbD

anorak2 and patient_ot like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.