Ritchie Blackmore Guitar World Interview 1991

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Holy Diver, Jul 24, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member Thread Starter

2. Kossoff is God

Kossoff is God Forum Resident

I like his list of blues players he admires but I don't think I have ever heard anyone diss SRV.

What do you think of Stevie Ray Vaughan?

I knew that question was coming. His death was very tragic, but I'm surprised that everybody thinks he was such a brilliant player when there are people like Buddy Guy, Albert Collins, Peter Green and Mick Taylor; Johnny Winter, who is one of the best blues players in the world, is also very underrated. His vibrato is incredible.

Stevie Ray Vaughan was very intense. Maybe that's what caught everybody's attention. As a player, he didn't do anything amazing.

3. Spaghettiows

Spaghettiows Forum Resident

Turned out that he wasn't B.S.-ing about renaissance music.

4. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

I don't think he's dissing SRV, he just didn't care for him. He clearly likes good blues players, though, which lends some credibility to his statement.

5. zen

zen Senior Member

Here's a case where I agree with Blackmore.
    However, I'm not really into blues players post the Nineteen Sixties, so.....

6. Wounded Land

Wounded Land Forum Resident

I have heard quite a bit of people diss SRV, mainly people who know a lot about the blues. When they hear SRV, all they hear are the Albert King licks and the Hendrix-isms. They don't get what the big deal is. Plus, I get the sense that they resent his popularity compared to other blues musicians (and there is probably a race thing at play as well).

With that being said, I've never heard a musician diss SRV.

7. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

Blackmore is still my favorite classic rock player and SRV is my least favorite so yes, I'm glad he said that.

8. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

BB King loved SRV. Albert King loved SRV. Buddy Guy loved SRV. Eric Clapton loved SRV. Eric Johnson loved SRV. Jeff Beck loved SRV (JB being perhaps the one rock guitarist Blackmore respects more than anyone). The list goes on. If Ritchie is the one guy who didn't dig him, it certainly isn't a majority view.

Spaghettiows likes this.
  9. zen

zen Senior Member

Lotta butt kissin' if you ask me.

showtaper likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.