RL Cut Led Zeppelin II

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by AaronW, Feb 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KeninDC

KeninDC Hazy Cosmic Jive

I had no idea about "RL" on Zep II. I've got "Pecky" on my Zoso, but I will have to check my two Zep II LPs for the "RL."

What great fun this site is...

2. marcb

marcb Senior Member

He also did Houses of the Holy as well. Those are much easier to find than LZ2.

3. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

I don't have an RL Zep II, but I do have what I consider to be a "hot stamper" pressing, with the caveat, as you mention, that "Thank You" really suffers from inner groove distortion.

4. bonzo

bonzo New Member

John, what is it that makes you consider your copy a hot stamper? Low matrix numbers, or just plain old warm pleasing sound?

5. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

Just plain old warm, pleasing sound. It's an 1841 Broadway pressing in the really thick cardstock sleeve - I'm sure it's a fairly early pressing, but it just sounds good. I've listened to a lot of copies of this album during my quest to find an RL, and this one just sounds the best.

6. fortherecord

fortherecord Senior Member

I've never been able to find a RL cut. I once saw a beat up copy with only one side with the RL stamper in run out groove, but didn't bother picking it up. I have the Classic reissue, which I think sounds pretty good.

7. bonzo

bonzo New Member

It seems to be the consensus (!), even rivalling the mfsl's...now can everyone just stop talking about it already ; )

8. Chip TRG

Chip TRG Senior Member

It's times like this when I consider myself VERY lucky that I snagged my for a buck!

9. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

I assume you like its sound better than any RL you might have found?

What amazes me is just how different the pressings of this album can sound. I was just comparing Ramble On from the '77 Canadian reissue I just got last week with the old red-label I found last fall. It's almost like two different mixes altogether. I know it's all in the mastering and EQ but it truly sounds different.

Here's a sample of both.

10. Mark H

Mark H Senior Member

I found a RL a couple weeks ago. Skips right at the beginning of "Whole Lotta Love" and the plays VG+ the rest of the way. The bass is something else on that sucker. I actually enjoy the Piros cut one just as much. Probably because it's NM.

11. KeninDC

KeninDC Hazy Cosmic Jive

Noc dice on my two copies. One is a Columbia House version which never got much play. The other has what looks like a machine cut, upper case "S" with an "R" and a "C" within that big "S" on the deadwax.

12. mtodde

mtodde New Member

And much cheaper too. I found a very nice copy with RL on both sides at a record show a few months back for $5.

13. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Sometimes. I've found 2 "RL" LZ2's for less than $10 (although neither are in great shape). The LZ2's seem to be an all or nothing proposition depending upon whether the seller knows what they have.

14. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

Yep. We have to find a discreet way of handling the RL situation or else the prices will get ridiculous. Let's develop a code. :)

15. parker63

parker63 Forum Resident

Legalities aside, in reference to ElevatorSkyMovie's comments, it does make me wonder if there will be a "Dr. Ebbetts" type treatment of LZII (among others) from someone, somewhere, either from the RL pressing or the MFSL edition. I mean, if it was done for the Beatles, why not Zeppelin?

16. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

DVD-A is the way to go with respect to certain titles.

17. shakti

shakti Senior Member

Sorry to revive this old thread and not bothering to wade through all 8 pages of it...just looking to found out what exactly I've got on my hands. I just found a super-cheap copy of LZ II, somewhat beat-up vinyl, decent-ish cover. I don't have record player here, so I don't know how well it plays yet, but here's what I find:

SD 8236 on labels, but ST-A-691671 and ST.A.691672 also on labels and deadwax on sides 1 and 2 respectively
    Quite thick vinyl
    Dead wax on side 2 slightly wider than side 1
    Manufactured in Germany in dead wax on both sides
    Side 1 has RL initals, as well as AT and LW
    Side 2 has LL, AT and LW

I am really eager to hear this, as at least side 1 sounds like a Ludwig job, but what exactly is it, when is it from, and what can I expect? I was even blown away hearing a friend's (presumably) 80s nice price pressing which was definitely not RL, since I only now this album from the CD remaster.

18. shakti

shakti Senior Member

Oh, and are there RL pressings for all the early LZ albums?

19. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

Seems like you found a copy made in Germany (is there a reference to Germany on the jacket, label?) with US Atlantic stampers.

Side 1 is a RL (much coveted.)
    Side 2 may not be an RL - as you say it's missing the RL - but check again.
    Some of the other info you have jives with my double RL copy - except yours is pressed in Germany..

German pressings often have quieter vinyl and are less likely to be off-center in my experience.

Clean it up and let us know what it sounds like. Congratulations.:righton:

20. fortherecord

fortherecord Senior Member

I've been trying to find a RL cut forever on both sides of the record, beginning to wonder if they really exist...

21. LesPaul666

LesPaul666 Mr Markie - The Rock And Roll Snarkie

:D

Oh they, do exist, trust me !:)

22. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

There is only House of the Holy and II (or 2).

23. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

the way i found mine(and i'm sure a few others have done this as well) was to email every seller(just copy and paste your questions...doesn't take that long) of an sd 8236 and ask them if they see an "rl" in the deadwax on both sides. most of these sellers have no clue about ludwig, so they're not going include it in the descrption.

this cut is really special, so it's worth it to do some legwork. ebay makes it very easy.

good luck.

24. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Would you believe I went out on a whim today after reading this thread and dug around for a Led Zep II, and the first copy I pulled out was a RL?!?!

Too bad it was beat to hell. It looked like it had been handled by a 3 year old for the past 35 years. No amount of cleaning could overcome all the scrapes and scratches. It had RL on side two, but no narrow deadwax.

25. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I was going to say the same thing. I would appreciate it if everyone would just continue to rock to the first Atlantic CDs which many keep praising year after f'ing year. And let me have the copies of RL IIs, and UK Plums of the other albums, etc. They can have their CDs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.