Robert Palmer Overlooked and Forgotten Now?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Klen7000, Jan 7, 2018.

1. NaturalD

NaturalD The King of Pop

Give Me an Inch Girl, You Overwhelm Me ... those cuts are listed in Webster's under "middle of the road"

Mister Triscuits likes this.
  2. blueslover99

blueslover99 Forum Resident

He was a fantastic singer...I always really enjoyed his albums, but became a fan after seeing him live. Very tragic that he died at such a young age.

Matthew Tate, noahjld, aphexj and 2 others like this.
  3. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

He seems to be quite underrated. I got his Collected compilation and that's enough for me (so much music, so little time), but to call him a yuppy artist is a bit much.
    Whatever he did he seemed to have done with style (going by what I'm familiar with). Magpie tendencies, but the talent to make things his own and never in an obtrusive way.
    Btw, was testing a speaker some time ago; I Didn't Mean To Turn You On sounded beyond magnificent! :cool:

ARK, Runicen and Juggsnelson like this.
  4. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

+1, although Disc 3 is somewhat spotty. Love the 'left-over' collaborations, but the duplicate remixes are a bit much, let alone this absolutely horrible techno thing of which the name escapes me atm.

As for at least the first 2 discs I can't think of any better career summary. And yes, they all seem to be the original versions!!

ARK, Matthew Tate and Runicen like this.
  5. Dr. Winston Ramone

Dr. Winston Ramone Shoveling smoke with a pitchfork in the wind

I was familiar with only his radio hits until I picked up his "Addictions" Volume 1 cd for $1. I was delighted to hear the diversity of genres that he dabbles in - he seemed to be very well-rounded musically. I look forward to checking out more of his catalog.

6. SKBubba

SKBubba Forum Resident

Thanks for this. Had Riptide, never paid much attention to his work otherwise. Went and listened to Sneaking Sally, and it's like a Little Feat album. Good stuff! Pressure Drop is pretty good, too, but a little uneven in places. Looking forward to hearing more and adding to my library.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  7. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

He played upon his looks, there's no denying, but he had enough artistical bagage to pull it all off, imo.

Here's an amusing clip I posted a couple of years ago in a dedicated clip goofs thread I started (this is a different version of the same tv performance).
    The soundman started the tape too early (which you don't see here), which throws off Robert. Some dirty looks going on there, totally NOT amused, although the irony is not lost on him and he decides to have a good ole time with the audience. Enjoy!

Matthew Tate, Runicen and aphexj like this.
  8. bluesky

bluesky Senior Member

fantastic

Matthew Tate likes this.
  9. bibijeebies

bibijeebies vinyl hairline spotter

Give Me An Inch Girl is great blue-eyed soul to me!

Ro-Go, pool_of_tears, zebop and 3 others like this.
  10. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

Then you are going to LOVE hearing Drive!

11. Klen7000

Klen7000 Well-Known Member Thread Starter

That's a great clip, thanks for sharing it!

And I didn't realize Robert Palmer was perceived as such a sex symbol until my wife told me he was. Funny how some things are lost on certain people. :p

12. manicpopthrill

manicpopthrill Forum Resident

Was never a fan per se, but I came of age '83-'86 so he was inescapable and his hits were a partial soundtrack to those halcyon years.

Not to mention he got behind the Comsat Angels in a pretty big way, so for that alone he gets good guy points.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  13. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

Really? then What's It Take ?

Runicen and aphexj like this.
  14. NaturalD

NaturalD The King of Pop

Respect for attempting to cover Husker Du, though I wouldn't call it a convincing performance.

blehman likes this.
  15. Comet01

Comet01 Forum Resident

I've enjoyed that song since the late 1970s.
    When my daughter was a toddler, she picked up the nickname "Inch". I used to sing the chorus to her. :)

Last edited: Jan 7, 2018
  16. Erick Haight

Erick Haight We all float down here

I emailed Neil in March 2016 on the subject, and here's what he said:

Hello Erick,
    Thanks for taking time to write. No intrusion!

We're still deep in research mode on the RP set(s)... so, its really hard to say what will and what won't be included. Its nice that people are becoming excited that its something we / HiddenMasters are involved in as that means the sort of work we do is being recognised. In terms of specifics such as 5.1 mixes and video-related material... personally speaking, I think thats unlikely – as things stand, whats most important is to assemble all (and I mean all) the material and then work it out from there; the three sets are – roughly – the early years up to the 1st Island LP... the Island years after Sneakin' Sally and then the third set will be post Island. I can't see us including Power Station as, for me, it somewhat detracts from Robert and probably should be a separate project.

Unhappily, Robert's legacy hasn't been particularly well served – I don't think one needs to go in to details... so, for us to have the opportunity to create something definitive is fantastic.

As you may know, we're just finishing off the Chris Wood set – its been a bit stop start because of aspects completely out of our control but we're nearly there. Still on course for being out in late June. Its an odd one... Chris is the unsung member of Traffic and people go... oh yes, the horn player... and kinda leave it at that. Then... you play people this track or that... and they say, who?! Its been nice surprising and, with Chris's set... it really, really will surprise. And pictorially – just wait!

Same, I think will go for Robert... as much as it is for all the projects we're working on, there's also something personal – I worked with all these people years ago... Jess Roden to Chris to The Distractions to Heads Hands & Feet (used to go see them, sadly never worked with them) to Robert and... onwards... not names on a record cover but people I knew and cared about. And there are more!

I'm assuming that, based on the experience with the Chris Wood box set, anything with RP will be locked down before it gets announced. But who knows?

17. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

And for goodness sake, when will some modern webdesigner finally convince the estate that the current official website is at least two decades past its best before date.

So let's hope for the best of both worlds.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  18. Jim Walker

Jim Walker Senior Member

A Chris Wood Box? Whoever would have imagined such a thing.
    I'm in for the 'horn player from Traffic' box, should be very interesting.

Juggsnelson likes this.
  19. Osato

Osato Forum Resident

I wonder who the target market is overall, though. Hope they're not going too obscure for their own good.

Still, they deserve kudos for actually going that deep and finding such underappreciated artists.

Juggsnelson likes this.
  20. The Elephant Man

The Elephant Man Forum Resident

I love his book 'Deep Blues'.

21. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

"Sailing Shoes / Hey Julia / Sneakin' Sally Through the Alley" - Robert
    Palmer,
    Capitol Theatre - Passaic, NJ, 13 October 1979, featuring Leo
    Nocentelli of The Meters on lead guitar.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2018
  22. Juggsnelson

Juggsnelson Senior Member

It came out last year.....amazing set!!! Pricy if you can still find one, but worth every penny!! Here's a link to the thread about it.

Chris Wood (Traffic) box set next year?

23. Juggsnelson

Juggsnelson Senior Member

Chris Wood (Traffic) box set next year?

Osato likes this.
  24. Osato

Osato Forum Resident

25. Sixpence

Sixpence Zeppelin Fan

Quite a "reserved" artist and then there is The Power Station!