Roberta Flack documentary to air on PBS American Masters on 01/24/2023

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by pghmusiclover, Dec 31, 2022.

1. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member Thread Starter

2. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

Thanks for the reminder, something to look forward to for sure!

3. Rodant Kapoor

Rodant Kapoor Forum Resident

"Killing me softly" is the earliest song I can remember, next to Carly Simon's "You're so vain".
    Thanks, Mom <3 :D

4. lazydawg58

lazydawg58 Know enough to know how much I don't know

That should be a good one, thanks for the heads up! I her First Take was one of a handful of LPs my parents had when I was growing up.

longdist01 and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  5. ChefBrunch

ChefBrunch Forum Resident

I recently picked up a nice grts hits of hers used, still need to play it...good stuff im sure

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  6. ky658

ky658 Senior Member

All I watch these days are shows on PBS, “American Masters” being one of them. Looking forward to this.

longdist01 and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  7. pghmusiclover

Just a reminder to set your DVRs for tomorrow to watch this documentary :)

8. ampmods

ampmods Forum Resident

I really enjoyed this. I knew a little bit about her and her talent but it was nice to get a fuller picture.

I wish there was even more music though but that’s just because I like her music.

beccabear67 and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  9. lazydawg58

Dang I missed it. I'm sure they'll rebroadcast soon, will have to see if I can get a date and time.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  10. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

I set my DVR to record all the American Masters series eps as they come and go pretty fast.

MikaelaArsenault and lazydawg58 like this.
  11. ky658

ky658 Senior Member

I thought it was a decent representation of her life and music. I was hoping this would get a mention:

Last edited: Jan 25, 2023
  12. townsend

townsend Senior Member

Here is a link to the American Experience episode on Roberta Flack: American Masters | Roberta Flack | Season 37 | PBS

When PBS releases new programming, there is a window within which viewers can enjoy it. In this case, the window is from 1/24/23 (original broadcast date) until 2/21/23. After the latter date, the programming is still available; it is just behind a PBS subscriber paywall.

13. lazydawg58

I appreciate the link. I just finished, excellently done. I'm proud to say, though it wasn't mentioned in the doc, she is a fellow North Carolinian, born in Black Mountain and she also taught Music and English at a school in Farmville NC after graduating from Howard and before returning to the DC area to teach.

14. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

Great watch, very inspiring! Had to put on the CD collection I have today. Donny Hathaway's story so sad though, wish he'd have gotten better help. :cry:

Actually I did see Maxi Priest mentioned in it, but very fleeting, lots of people to include naturally.

[​IMG]

15. saturdayboy

saturdayboy Forum Resident

I was reminded of that, and played it right after watching. What a great song!

16. saturdayboy

saturdayboy Forum Resident

It was really good. Her connection to the Beatles was a real surprise, came out of nowhere.

17. cathandler

cathandler Hyperactive!

I got around to seeing it a couple of days ago. The overall tone was kind of somber, which I wasn't expecting. Of course the Donnie Hathaway chapter wasn't going to have a happy ending, but the portentousness was oppressive at times. I was hoping for a more uplifting profile.

18. pghmusiclover

I finally watched this and thought it was mostly well done, though of course a lot was left out -- there's no way they could really do an in-depth piece about Roberta in 90 minutes. I'm happy she talked about Donny, and it sounds like she spoke truthfully and from the heart. My favorite part really was hearing Sean Lennon and Yoko Ono talk about Roberta -- how cool is that Sean grew up knowing her as Auntie Roberta? I'm happy they played a little snippet of Roberta's version of Yoko's "Goodbye Sadness"...

kt66brooklyn likes this.