Rock and Roll Hall Of Fame 2019 nominees

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ModernDayWarrior, Oct 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

Their Post 2000 Discography has been Hit or Miss overall(although each Album has a few Great Songs), but I think 'In Rainbows' and 'A Moon Shaped Pool'(glad it was more Cinematic and less Electronic) are really Good Albums, if not as brilliant as 'OK Computer'. It is nice that they have evolved though, but glad when I saw them in concert last Summer that they played several Guitar Based Songs including 5 from 'OKC' and 1 from 'The Bends'. Outside of 'Separator', I would not suffer if never getting to hear 'The King of Limbs' again though.

2. TheSeldomSeenKid

Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis should get in ahead of Janet Jackson, as they also contributed better Songs for the SOS Band, Alexander O'Neal, Cherelle, etc.-IMO.

3. sbeaupre

sbeaupre Everything must go

In 1979, Taste of Honey (“Boogie Oogie Oogie”) won the Grammy for Best New Artist, beating out Elvis Costello. It was an instructive moment.

4. Bullis

Bullis Forum Resident

Please!

5. mattdm11

mattdm11 Forum Resident

Lol.

Greenalishi likes this.
  6. TheSeldomSeenKid

Glad The CURE, Roxy Music and Radiohead got in. Would have liked to have seen Rufus & Chaka Khan(maybe my Favorite Female Voice) get in, but musically, there are most likely better FUNK/R & B Music Artists from the 1970s/80s like Slave, The Gap Band, Brothers Johnson, Cameo, Con Funk Shun, Brass Construction, Fatback Band(who despite being a FUNK Band had put out the first Rap Song 'King Tim III'-IIRC from reading about it a few years ago).

Hopefully, adding The CURE and Roxy Music will open the door in the next 5 years for Echo & the Bunnymen, Joy Division, Magazine, The Smiths, Siouxsie & the Banshees, XTC, Gang of Four, The Jesus & Mary Chain, Spacemen 3, etc. before several deserving 1990s Music Artists from the Britain are eligible(actually some Great Music Artists like Spiritualized, PULP, Suede, BLUR & the Manic Street Preachers are already eligible).

Oh and Steven 'Frickin' Wilson should have gone in this year under his own Name, since his early Porcupine Tree Albums, were basically Solo Projects, and along with his Music for Porcupine Tree, also add in his Side Projects like Blackfield and No-Man then his recent Albums under his Name with different Band Members over the past 8 years who toured with him.

LilacTeardrop likes this.
  7. I’ll agree on Roxy Music. They’re about 20 years overdue. But I respectfully disagree on Radiohead. They need to induct more artists when they’re closer to their prime years.

There’s nothing very rock ‘n’ roll about watching waaaaay over-the-hill acts like the Cars, the Moody Blues, Chicago, or Deep Purple fart around on the stage. If these guys are getting in, let them in while they can still rock! I’m not a Bon Jovi fan, but their performance saved that travesty of a show last year. Jon Bon’s mike stand didn’t double as a walking cane.

By waiting too long with certain acts that deserve faster recognition, the Hall deprives the fans of memorable performances at closer-to-peak periods. By not recognizing groundbreaking talents like Sonic Youth and Soundgarden in a timely manner, those performance ships have sailed. If Dire Straits had made it in the early 2000’s, there might have been a great performance instead of that pathetic, Mark Knopfler-less acceptance speech. The real Jethro Tull’s invention is going to get in before the band, at this rate!

Don’t wait for Billy Corgan’s hair to grow back, and the band to dissolve again. The Pumpkins have reunited. Get ‘Em in Now!!!

Time Waits for No One,

Bill

8. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

They aren’t they not in? They aren’t in.

uzn007 likes this.
  9. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

10. Timmy84

Timmy84 Forum Resident

I honestly don't know what's the biggest deal about the Dave Matthews Band. Why should they be in??? o_O

11. Timmy84

Timmy84 Forum Resident

Except for Janet, none of the other acts mentioned ever got far past 1991... and Cherrelle tried to get with different producers and flopped. The SOS Band were also established before Jam & Lewis produced them.

12. TheSeldomSeenKid

Yes, but only 1 SOS Album before Jam & Lewis hooked up with them, if I read the Discography correctly. Just think Jam/Lewis made better Songs/Albums for those other Music Artists compared to Janet Jackson(and her voice is not that good IMO compared to the other Singers they worked with), but YMMV. Not sure how much they contributed to The Time's 'Pandemonium' Album, as read that Prince still was a main contributor to that Album.

AlecA likes this.
  13. William Abely

William Abely Forum Resident

Still holding out hope for Three Dog Night and the Fifth Dimension for performers and Brian Wilson for production.

Jose Jones likes this.
  14. But their work elsewhere doesn't amount to so much in terms of chart success or influence. Janet Jackson is their piece de résistance, such as it is.

Besides, any black female pop vocalist - especially one from the Jackson clan - who can take a song cribbed from the Swans to #1 in the American pop charts is worth special recognition in my books. :)

uzn007 likes this.
  15. hardknox and jon9091 like this.
  16. Nostaljack

Nostaljack Resident R&B enthusiast

That's about as inaccurate a statement as I've ever seen here. Yeah, Janet was a huge success because of them but they had plenty of success elsewhere.

Ed

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  17. Sure they had some success elsewhere, but RnRHoF-worthy success, such as it may be? Let's see the case for their independent inclusion.

18. Nostaljack

Nostaljack Resident R&B enthusiast

Wow. Okay, it's not hard. Right from the Wikipedia page. Here are the number 1 Pop hits not by Janet Jackson.

Boyz II Men - "On Bended Knee" & "4 Seasons of Loneliness"
    Mariah Carey - Thank God I Found You"
    Human League - "Human"
    George Michael - "Monkey"
    Usher - "You Remind Me"
    Karyn White - "Romantic"

I double-checked this with Wiki just to make sure and nailed almost all of them off the top of my head. There are plenty more that were hugely successful without going to #1

For all songs written by Jam & Lewis, I'll just send you here:

List of songs written by Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis - Wikipedia

That'll keep you busy for a while.

Ed

TheSeldomSeenKid likes this.
  19. Black Magic Woman

Black Magic Woman Forum Resident

If you, Zombies fans, want to think that people in their 40s or 20s outnumber their baby boomers fans, that’s fine by me.

I think it’s silly to pretend that being a boomer’s favorite had nothing to do with their induction though.

20. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Janice-Marie Johnson is a truly astounding bass player.

longdist01 likes this.
  21. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

22. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

Really? I've played "Cyanide Breath Mint" live in front of people. Have you?

23. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

I can't think of a reason why they should. Frat-boy rock has never been particular honored before.

24. NYMets41

NYMets41 Forum Resident

Mike Love, solo artist.

25. Maurice

Maurice Senior Member

Which song did Janet crib from the Swans? I never realized until I wrote this how much I wanted to hear a Ms.-Jackson-If-You’re-Nasty cover of Time Is Money (Bastard.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.