Rock and Roll Hall Of Fame 2019 nominees

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ModernDayWarrior, Oct 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Wait - am I reading this right that you think the Go-go's were a "borderline novelty act", or did you mean some of the other female bands?

2. Oatsdad

Alanis has a strong case for induction due to opening doors as well as selling an enormous number of records.

"JLP" went 16X platinum, for God's sake!

Obviously the followups sold less well, but she still never had an album that charted worse than #8 in the US, so she enjoyed continued success after "JLP".

This site drives me nuts sometimes. Every rinky-dink 1960s band with 2 hit singles "deserves" to be in, but one of the biggest and most influential artists of the 90s shouldn't be inducted! :sigh:

3. Oatsdad

I think "GotG" is 90% of it. The Runaways movie wasn't exactly a smash hit, whereas "GotG" was, and its soundtrack was very popular as well...

4. bewareofchairs

bewareofchairs Forum Resident

It wasn't, but it came out when Twilight/Kristen Stewart were a big deal, so I'm assuming there was some crossover there.

Black Magic Woman likes this.
  5. Black Magic Woman

Black Magic Woman Forum Resident

Anyways my point was that The Runaways are more popular than The Go-Go’s. How did they get popular? I wasn’t trying to decipher it.

As I said upthread, we don’t have to worry because a nom for either Runaways or Go-Go’s seems unlikely.

We’re approaching late 90s popstars, the committee doesn’t care about obscure all-girl bands from the 70s at this point. Their time is over.

From a non-inclusive/non-feminist point of view, who was the first or the most important all-girl rock band doesn’t really matter much because this kind of bands aren’t exactly common (as opposed to female-led bands, which we have many of them).

6. Oatsdad

Hey, I gave you 10% for "Runaways" - I think that was generous! :D

bewareofchairs likes this.
  7. Oatsdad

I think Jett's induction rules out Runaways, but I wouldn't be so quick to say that Go-go's have no shot.

Plenty of artists went through years of eligibility to finally get nominated/inducted, and I think that day could come for the Go-go's eventually...

tmoore and Black Magic Woman like this.
  8. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

Maybe the Hall will wait until they have a new album/tour to promote, like the Cure.

9. bewareofchairs

bewareofchairs Forum Resident

Haha, fair enough. FWIW I agree with you that the GoGos should qualify as a rock band. I hope they get in.

Oatsdad likes this.
  10. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

I like their punk tracks at the beginning of Return To The Valley Of The Go-Go's. Good sense of where they came from before their pop sound. I like the Go-Go's, but prefer the early punk songs, and also really like and prefer their last record God Bless The Go-Go's where they shed their 80s sound.

Dudley Morris likes this.
  11. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

the list just gets more ridiculous each time! a name change needs to be done...seriously MUSIC HALL OF FAME...

12. Michael

what a mishap!

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  13. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

And yet no one seems to ever think, "Hm, maybe it's my own weird, narrow, blinkered definition of rock and roll that's the problem."

Hm.

14. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

In the early 80s, when I was growing up, I liked Pat Benatar a lot, and still do, but Chrissie Hynde and Ann and Nancy Wilson were more important to me.

uzn007 likes this.
  15. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

Although to be fair I'd be hard pressed to call anything "rock hall of fame inductee" Madonna related "rock and roll". I like some of her songs, and she has talent and her influence in culture is undeniable, but it ain't rock music what she is doing

16. Danby Delight

Mm-hm.

17. Danby Delight

In my junior high, even the kids who liked Pat (including me) thought Chrissie would kick her ass in the unlikely event that things ever got to that point.

uzn007, Dudley Morris and Spencer R like this.
  18. YMC4

YMC4 EVthing or Nothing

i wasn't saying Pat was the ONLY female rocker...just most viable in terms of public perception.
    btw, Chrissie Hynde has 3x size advantage on lit' Pat...of course she'll whip her ass :laugh:

19. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

None of that had anything to do with my reply, but OK.

20. A borderline novelty act? Mmmmmmmmm......

21. hardknox

hardknox Forum Resident

Works for me! :evil:

22. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

Shane to see MC5 and Kraftwerk not get in as well.

Michael likes this.
  23. Michael

it's all a shame...so many that don't belong and so many that do that are not getting in..I have no respect for RS....

LarryP and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  24. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

^

Michael likes this.
  25. Michael

I found them all easy to take. : )

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.