Rock and Roll Hall Of Fame 2019 nominees

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ModernDayWarrior, Oct 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Timmy84

Timmy84 Forum Resident

Missy Elliott would be a better person to induct Janet...

WilliamWes likes this.
  2. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I'll repeat. I don't think comparing Benatar to Jett makes any sense at all, especially since making an argument for Benatar seems to require downplaying Jett's achievements. As artists, they were just so different, as musicians, as writers and as performers. Besides, if you want to point to less deserving women, the Ronettes (with their ONE album) come to mind. But, maybe I'm wrong and everyone views them as the same - I remember when Britney Spears was asked why she decided to cover "I Love Rock and Roll", she responded "Because I love Pat Benatar!!"

Anyway, I love her hits, especially "We Belong" and "Love is a Battlefield" (which has that amazing music video - 80's pop culture in a little time capsule). I think she's worthy of induction.

3. That80sBaldAsianBadGuy

That80sBaldAsianBadGuy Forum Resident

There is still quite a difference between how and why Blondie and the Cars got in. Blondie had 4 number hits in the US. The Cars biggest chart single hit #4. Blondie seemed to have influenced more artists than the Cars such as Madonna, Garbage, Primatives and a whole slew of brit pop bands that came out in the mid to late 90s. Not saying that the Cars didn't influence anyone but the only bands that I know of that openly said that they had an influence was the Killers. The RRHOF also wanted to champion for a lead female fronted band to be inducted to their Hall.

WilliamWes likes this.
  4. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I should add that I am very happy for the Zombies. I never thought that they would make it, but the fan support was pretty amazing - I didn't even think anyone remembered them.

trumpet sounds likes this.
  5. That80sBaldAsianBadGuy

That80sBaldAsianBadGuy Forum Resident

Benatar was actually being considered by the staff but wasn't because if they nominate too many of the same genre acts, their votes would split the committee and cancel each other out. Its the reason why you don't see more than one hairband act get nominated or two post punk acts

The Inside Scoop on the 2019 Rock Hall Ballot | 2019 Ceremony, Rock Hall Politics | FutureRockLegends.com

Nominating Committee member Alan Light joined DJs Nik Carter and Lori Majewski on SiriusXM to announce the 2019 Rock & Roll Hall of Fame nominees last week. Light revealed fascinating information about the discussions in the nominating meeting that led to this year’s ballot. Here are some of the highlights:
    • Alan Light regarding the Stevie Nicks nomination: ”In the Nominating room, Pat Benatar came up, Cyndi Lauper came up, The Go-Go's came up and the Eurythmics were in this conversation, and not that it comes down to this, but the women in the room really did start to coalesce around Stevie and push things that way out of the mix that was there. That was the one that --and it's silly to say that women are one piece of what's here-- when it's women of the 80s, I don't think you put Pat, Cyndi and Stevie on a ballot together in the same way that you don't put The Cure, The Smiths and Depeche on the ballot together. It was actually the women in the committee who sort of led the focus to Stevie out of that list.”

6. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

Why do people continually mention hits and chart position? The Hall's own website lists its own criteria. Hits and chart position are not mentioned. Nevertheless, The Cars probably better in album sales. If this were all about hits, then (ahem) Journey would've been in long ago.

Point is that being tight with Jann rushed the Blondie induction. In terms of influence, it's much clearer that now that The Cars had some impact on indie artists, even if the subject wasn't specified during interviews with RS. Maybe Weezer liked them too. Who knows? Who cares?

Last edited: Dec 18, 2018
    WilliamWes and Murph like this.
  7. Nick W

Nick W Well-Known Member

The fact that The Zombies, Roxy Music, The Cure and Radiohead are all getting in makes this one of few years in recent memory where I have actually liked a majority of the artists being inducted. Have no earthly effing idea why Janet Jackson or Stevie Nicks solo get in before Kraftwerk who are literally one of the most influential bands in music history, but wth...I'll take it.

8. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Blondie’s credentials made them a slam dunk. “Call Me” was the no. 1 single of the entire year in 1980. Also, In addition to the well-known fusion of rock and disco on “Heart of Glass”, they were pioneers in other areas. “Rapture” was the first rap single to hit no. 1 on Billboard and the first rap video played on MTV and at the time “The Tide is High” was one of the three or four reggae songs to have hit no. 1.

“and now, back to the countdown. . .”

9. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

This is ridiculous: so there’s a quota for female artists and/or you can only nominate one at a time, but, in 1993, for example, they inducted the Doors, Creedence, and Cream all in the same year, apparently there was no problem having multiple male rock bands in one year.

10. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

These guys clearly spent some time listening to the Cars:

11. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

12. Black Magic Woman

Black Magic Woman Forum Resident

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  13. Zoot Marimba

Thanks.

14. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

"Popular for a few years"...

All Fired Up came out in '88.

It's fun to play the "who should be in the hall" game, but let's not run down great artists. Pat Benatar was huge.

15. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

And went all the way to #19 in the US - wowee!

With an album that stalled at #28.

I didn't claim Benatar fell off the face of the earth after her "main run", but she lost a lot of steam after 1984 or so.

She had a solid 5-year run and moderate success after that.

Ergo, "popular for a few years"...

16. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

Because top 20 is chopped liver. Like with Love Me Do.

And I thought sales was off the table here. All Fired Up is an AMAZING song, and it came 8 years after her debut.

Dude, I'm not shooting down other candidates. But you can't shoot down Pat Benatar. I was there. She needs to be in the Hall.

WalkAThinLine and zen like this.
  17. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I never "shot down" Benatar - though if I did, it'd be with my BEST shot! ;)

I don't know why sales would be off the table. Clearly success is a factor in who the HOF inducts - it may not be listed as part of the stated criteria, but it's still evident that popularity makes a difference.

And I'd be 100% fine is Benatar got inducted. Would I choose her? No, but I think she has a pretty good case...

18. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

I would choose Pat Benatar; I think she's Hallworthy, artistically. Although there are a few acts not in yet that I think are more worthy (Link Wray, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden)

Zoot Marimba and WalkAThinLine like this.
  19. mikeh69

mikeh69 Forum Resident

WAIT TODD DIDN'T GET IN... THAT'S IT... THE WHOLE THING IS A JOKE ... NOW I'M NEVER TAKING NOTICE OR ANY INTEREST EVER AGAIN... WHOEVER GOT IN SUCKS... DID THE MC5 GET BOOTED TOO ???

20. mikeh69

mikeh69 Forum Resident

TODD IS THE ROCK AND ROLL OF FAME FOR CHRIST SAKES ... I LIKE THAT ONE ZOMBIES ALBUM A LOT ... THE OTHER ACTS WHOEVER THEY ARE ALL CRAP. See Todd got so old that people I don't know who's voting but he's kinda of forgotten in the sense of today... So he sure of got in in the 1990's like most of the others. Todd was made in 1970 so since 1995 every year he could got in the thing but now it will never happen. He'll die then get in you watch. Now there sort of on the bottom. Actually not close. But so many great artists of the early days haven't even gotten in. King Crimson Zero.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2019
  21. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

I was listening to a podcast called Who Cares About The Rock Hall, and they interviewed Roy Traken who had been on the committee. He said that changes in recent years allowed a couple of new members who rather passionately made the case for Todd's nomination

Todd Rundgren w/ Roy Trakin - Who Cares About the Rock Hall?

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  22. Zoot Marimba

23. Bill

Bill Senior Member

It doesn't matter who's in. Enjoy who you like.
    That's it.

24. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

we will never be satisfied with their choices as long as they keep dissing the ones that should be there...pox on RS...

25. mikeh69

mikeh69 Forum Resident

Thanks but I got my own real version ... Good comeback right Todd fans... I got something for anything.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2019
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.