Rock Candy Records re-issues

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Natvecal., Jan 1, 2018.

1. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

Mutiny Up My Sleeve is the only studio album that I didn't have the CD for, so when I found the Rock Candy CD used, I thought I lucked out.

Boy, was I wrong! Horribly compressed. It's only DR9 and I'm not particularly sensitive, but this CD was simply unpleasant to listen to. I went right back to my LP.

For Max Webster, only the original Anthem CDs will do. Avoid the Rock Candys like the plague.

2. lenny nero

lenny nero down by the ruined bridge

Does anyone have the Salty Dog remaster? How does it sound? Thinking of picking that one up.

Jimmy Agates likes this.
  3. Jimmy Agates

Jimmy Agates CRAZY DOCTOR

I have that one and have no complaints also the bonus stuff on it is great. BTW their long lost second album "Lost Treasure" is out next month!

Queezma and lenny nero like this.
  4. Jimmy Agates

Just love the way people m,ake blanket statements that 99percent are no good when I bet they haven't even heard 1/10th of the titles released.

Curveboy likes this.
  5. Jimmy Agates

Apparently Rock Candy are doing Hot Wire soon...another great KIX album

Doggiedogma, Curveboy and lenny nero like this.
  6. Weirwolfe

Weirwolfe Forum Resident

I've purchased a few Rock Candy cds. None sound bad to me.
    Detective
    Raging Slab
    Trouble Walking - Ace Frehley
    Sea Hags
    Nugent - Double Live Gonzo.
    Armored Saint - Delirious Nomad.

Jimmy Agates likes this.
  7. Jimmy Agates

I'm super impressed with the Frank Marino titles RC have done...

Weirwolfe likes this.
  8. van1

van1 Forum Resident

There is now a third alternative, the Max Webster 'Party' 8 cd box set. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Party-1976...=1518943262&sr=8-1&keywords=max+webster+party

I have the Max Webster Anthem CDs but recently picked up the 'Party' box set, mainly to have the live album on cd and bootleg bonus CD. In interviews the band have said that they added some much needed low end to 'mutiny'. I haven't had a chance to do a proper comparison but I'm sure the Internet will help.

Leo Lyons likes this.
  9. southamorican

southamorican Forum Resident

Dio's Holy Diver was my first and last purchase of a Rock Candy CD. It sounded so wrong it compelled me to research about it and I ended up finding this forum. At least something good came out of it! :D

Last edited: Feb 18, 2018
    The Hud and Galley like this.
  10. PJayBe

PJayBe Forum Resident

Both sound okay to my gig-blasted ears, and the bonus tracks are pretty damned fab!!!

Leo Lyons and PTgraphics like this.
  11. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

I considered that. Fortunately, my LPs of Mutiny and the live album still sound pretty good. I have the Anthem CDs of the other albums, so really I'd only be buying it for the EP and bonus CD.

Listening to the bonus CD on Spotify, I really only like "Deep Dive". I can take or leave the rest.

12. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

I only got Toto Turn Back. Sounds much worse than XIV.

13. lenny nero

lenny nero down by the ruined bridge

How does the Smashed Gladys sound compared to the original? I have the original on cd and cassette. Love that one.

14. Natvecal.

Natvecal. JUST A LOW- FI GUY WHO LOVES A GREAT MASTERING Thread Starter

Do you have the BGO versions? I wonder which is "better "sounding mastering wise?Rock Candy or BGO?I only have the BGOs.

15. Queezma

Queezma Forum Resident

You are very lucky to have these Badlands reissues....Rock Candy had to pull them literally weeks after their release and have been out of print ever since. Holy Grail!!!

PTgraphics, Natvecal. and Curveboy like this.
  16. Queezma

Queezma Forum Resident

Both sound great....not brickwalled. However they don’t sound much different than the original pressings....which sounded great to begin with. I am a sucker for Rock Candys liner notes.

The Hud likes this.
  17. tinnox

tinnox Senior Member

I just picked up their S/T on vinyl at an antique store in the dead wax it’s got RL nice find

Queezma likes this.
  18. Queezma

Queezma Forum Resident

Only a handful of the new releases are released domestically (Salty Dog, King Kobra, Lillian Axe, Nymphs). They were on a good roll for a few months with North American Distribution but have not released any domestically in about 6 Months.

19. Queezma

Queezma Forum Resident

I have all 4....They don’t sound any worse or better than the original Warner pressings....which to my ears sounded very good. The Rock Candy editions sound like they have a bit more bottom end.

20. Queezma

Queezma Forum Resident

They did a great job on this....much better than the original in my opinion. Not as flat/thin sounding as original.

lenny nero and Jimmy Agates like this.
  21. keefer1970

keefer1970 Metal, Movies, Beer!

The only Rock Candy reissue I own is Autograph's Sign In Please. Sounds fine to me.

I keep hoping they'll tackle the two albums from E-Z-O one of these fine days... I asked about them on the Rock Candy Facebook page a while back and they told me they were "on the list," but I guess that list must be pretty long!

Jimmy Agates likes this.
  22. Queezma

Queezma Forum Resident

I have 67 Rock Candy titles and only 2 were a major disappoint.....Armored Saint- March Of The Saint and Helix- Long Way To Heaven. Very harsh sounding and wayyyy to loud. Unlistenable for me. I am very happy with the other 65 titles I have. Keep in mind some of source material they are given to do these reissues aren’t the greatest to begin with. I would be curious to know of all the titles they have reissued, how many were done with the original masters? I would assume not many.

Leo Lyons and Doggiedogma like this.
  23. keefer1970

keefer1970 Metal, Movies, Beer!

I'm skimming the RC catalog on their site right now and I see a couple of other things I'd be interested in getting my hands on, like Ace Frehley's Trouble Walkin', Malice's License to Kill, and the first Circus of Power album...

...but what on earth ever possessed them to waste time and resources re-releasing the first BulletBoys disc? Ugh!

24. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

Cool, the original pressings are a bit pricey. Quality liner notes are always a plus!

Queezma likes this.
  25. Rhett

Rhett Forum Resident

hmm, interesting. Did not know that!

Natvecal. likes this.