Rock Movies from the '60s

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by JonUrban, May 29, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497 Thread Starter

Everyone remembers AHDN, Help, and the Elvis films, but there were a bunch of long forgotten, quick cash-in films made by other "rock" groups of the time.

"Hold On" comes to mind, by the Hermans Hermits. Actually, I really liked the song, sort of "Help"-ish, in a clone sort of way. The movie, as most of them were, was dumb, and I really don't remember it at all. But the title song was OK.

Wasn't there a DC5 film? What others were there, and WHERE are they now?

2. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

Get Yourself A College Girl.

mud-

3. GuyDon

GuyDon Senior Member

The grand daddy of psychedelic band films from the 60's: The Monkees' Head.

4. GuyDon

GuyDon Senior Member

Although not a one band movie, Girls on the Beach was fun with an appearance by the Beach Boys. What was the movie where James Brown and his band sing at a ski lodge?

5. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

Ski Party!

mud-:D

6. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

Featuring both JB & Lesley Gore!

7. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

Cliff Richard made some films in the 60s as well, including:
    [​IMG]

Regards,

8. vex

vex New Member

Let's see, the Dave Clark Five were in the 1964 film "Get Yourself A College Girl" and in 1965 they did "Having A Wild Weekend" a.k.a. "Catch Us If You Can".

Gotta love Google!

http://www.thevideobeat.com/

9. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

Yo vex, don't forget the Animals & Standells in GYACG.

mud-

10. vex

vex New Member

Yeth, but he wath motht interethted in DC5 flikth. :D

11. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

Otay!:D

mud-:D

12. chip-hp

chip-hp Cool Cat

13. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Don't forget the British POP GEAR. This is the film that had all the British Invasion Groups like the Animals doing their hits in color. This is the source of that color clip of the Beatles singing "She Loves You" live that we see in the anthology and also the color shots of screaming girls they used in the Che Stadium scenes in The Rutles "All You Need Is Cash"..

Also the "Electrovision" process or what ever it was called movie of The Tami Show with the Stones, Gerry & The Pacemakers, Chuck Berry, Lesley Gore, etc.....

14. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

Steve, what was the name of the one that had Phil Spector in it? It was much like the TAMI show. It was called the TNT show when I saw it in threatres. Bo Diddley and the Byrds were in it.

Anyone?

mud-

15. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

Did the Standells appear in Zebra in the Kitchen?

16. chip-hp

chip-hp Cool Cat

Hey Mud,

According to IMDB, it was called The Big T.N.T. Show (1966)

17. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

Hey chipster, THANKS!!!

I saw it on AMC a few years ago and for some reason it had a different name. Boy, I thought it was GREAT way back when but the Byrds were TERRIBLE when I saw it recently.

The mind plays tricks!

mud-

18. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

Let's not forget WHEN THE BOYS MEET THE GIRLS, released not long before HOLD ON! Starring Connie Francis and Harve Presnell(later seen in the Coen Bros. FARGO), the acts included Sam The Sham, Louis Armstrong, Liberace(!!) and Herman's Hermits. The stereo edition of that album is one of the very few to have "Listen People" in stereo.

ED:cool:

19. reechie

reechie Senior Member

Marshall Crenshaw compiled a book of reviews of rock films a few years back called Hollywood Rock, that's still a staple of my library. Well worth searching for.

It came in handy when AMC used to run those all rock movie holiday weekends a few years ago...I really miss those, got nice tapes of The Big TNT Show and Pop Gear from there.

20. RDK

RDK Active Member

So it was from 1956, but none of the films already listed can hold a candle to "The Girl Can't Help It." ;)

21. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497 Thread Starter

I went to the imdb and looked up "Hold On". There is a review there that says the TCM showed it in WIDESCREEN in 2000! Is that true? Did anyone see it?

It would be cool if Rhino came out with a DVD Box with all of these films, since the music and music artist are more intersting to see than the films themselves.

22. proufo

proufo Forum Resident

I recall getting a kick out of the tongue-in-cheekish Wild in the Streets, with Shelley Winters and a young Richard Pryor.

I was around 13 at the time.

14 or fight!

23. reechie

reechie Senior Member

Village Of The Giants has the Beau Brummels playing some songs off of their excellent Volume Two album. I first saw it when MST3K riffed it a few years ago.

Oh, and what about The Bobby Fuller Four, miming to the terrible "Making Music Happy" in the even more terrible The Ghost In The Invisible Bikini? They made them pretend to play all Vox equipment because the producers had made a deal with the company, and poor Jim Reese, usually the guitar player, had to pretend to play an organ! I believe they based a scene in That Thing You Do on this one.

24. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

Wow! Lattice of coincidence! I just saw that DVD in the budget bin this AM, and thought to myself I have to post it to this thread (we need a "Spooky" or "weird" smilie)

25. ZIPGUN99

ZIPGUN99 Active Member

Thanks to MGM's parent movie studio, Hermit's Hermits actually had TWO starring movies, believe it or not, the second was "Mrs. Brown You Have A Lovely Daughter". It was released long after the song was a hit (Mrs. Brown was a horse in the movie). I didnt see it myself.

MGM lured Roy Orbison over with promise of a film career, but only one movie was produced. All I remember is he was a civil war dude with a gun built into his guitar.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.