Rockaway Records L.A. downsized again, now by appointment only

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by OE3, Jun 21, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OE3

OE3 Senior Member Thread Starter

Another one bites the dust? After 3 significant downsizings over past 15 years Rockaway in Silver Lake is now by appointment only. The brothers have owned the lot on which their store sits for 35 years. In my opinion, like all its prior downsizings this is likely a permanent, and perhaps a last-gasp effort to make the brick & mortar retail store work, albeit with less headache, before pitching in the towel, clearing everything out and leasing the space to another tenant.

Dated June 10, 2021 and posted by Dave Kent only to store web site, but oddly not to IG, Twitter or FB.
    Important Announcement About Rockaway Records' Brick & Mortar Retail - Blog

Veronica Mars, AaronW and mikeyt like this.
  2. Chee

Chee Forum Resident

That's a shame. Appointments like a doctor. Employees now out of work. Pop-Ups work....Rhino had some killer ones 20 years ago. Expect another tenant in the downsize. More yoga, coffee bars for L.A.. Eeech.

AaronW likes this.
  3. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

Crazy. Rockaway has been one of my favorite three shops in LA, I've found so many gems there. I hope they manage to stick around and get back to what they once were.

steelydanguy and AaronW like this.
  4. Chee

Chee Forum Resident

Remember their parking lot sales? So many cheap CD's. I guess Second Spin took most of mine in the 90's.

CryptoSurfer likes this.
  5. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

That's too bad. They had some nice folks on staff. I've been a card carrying Rockaway Club member for many years. I wonder if they'll still honor the 10% discount for "appointment" purchases.

6. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Been there a couple times. Were they that dependent on international tourists? Even US travelers aren't swinging thru LA at the moment, though Vegas seems to gathering back some North American tourist momentum.

7. Chee

Chee Forum Resident

I need a Rockaway Museum Card....appointments needed.

8. Tjazz

Tjazz Breakfast at (a record store)

So nothing under $20?

9. Chee

Chee Forum Resident

Nothing under 20. They'll be at the sales. I wonder where their CD stock went? I guess 50% off the stock on a sale day. That's big money lost no retail not to mention coming through the door stuff. I guess high-end collections from people who need immediate cash.

10. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

Terrible news, really. I go way back to when they were Rainbow Records in the 80’s. Always found something cool in the cd section, they never sold junk and everything was in fantastic condition. The appointment thing I find extremely unappealing, especially if they have pared down the cd section to whatever they deem “collectible”—show me a catalogue, maybe. This is just the way of the world for us cd folk. Went to the new Amoeba Hollywood for the first time last week, they’re clearly focusing on LP’s and tshotshkes. The cd sections were wholly uninteresting, and significantly smaller than in the previous location. Found a few Tom Petty catalog discs I was looking for but I could have bumped into those anywhere.

11. Chee

Chee Forum Resident

Like I said their appointment stuff is all on line anyway so why even have a store.

12. OE3

OE3 Senior Member Thread Starter

Huh? Not true.

13. Chee

Chee Forum Resident

Go to Perrydcox eBay handle.....90% Rockaway for years.

14. A. Person Me

A. Person Me Down the Stream You Go

Wow that stinks. Rockaway was my favorite store in L.A. to find used CDs at great prices. Their prices were about half of what Amoeba charges for used CDs. If Amoeba is wondering why they don't sell as many used CDs, maybe part of the problem is that they try and sell old catalog titles by Eno and Can for $8.99-$9.99 used! Crazy. That was the going used price in the 90s when CDs were hot. You can buy those CDs new online for around the same price now. This is the kind of thinking that led to Tower records closing. No Tower didn't carry used stuff, but they priced many of their new CDs at $17.99 because the owner thought people would pay extra for the "Tower experience." That didn't work out too well for him.

Well, if I ever decide to buy that signed Beach Boys surfboard for 10k at Rockaway, I'll make an appointment. Meh.

mikeyt likes this.
  15. Chee

Chee Forum Resident

Get that board and the signed Beatles wall from Ed Sullivan. I'll just wait for the parking lot sale.

16. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Another record store fixture of LA bites the dust.

No fun no fun.

17. Chee

Chee Forum Resident

Lotsa fun if you are loaded and make a doctor's appointment.

18. Chee

Chee Forum Resident

Remember the good ole days walking in and not having to buy the top 25 CD's at regular stores.....they'd be deep and thick promotional copies on the walls around the check out counter for 50% less. How bout all the great promotional posters and tubs of $1 45's and tubs of collectible 45's? What a loss.

19. A. Person Me

A. Person Me Down the Stream You Go

Rockaway tweeted they are looking for collectibles, and they "would happily pay $4000" for a Bowie - Time picture sleeve single. Guys, make your appointments.

I'd happily shop in their store again if they'd ditch appointment only and start selling used CDs again.

20. Chee

Chee Forum Resident

Well, the fellahs from Tokyo who have a buying office near S.F. offer cheap prices that Rockaway can beat easy on the high end stuff. I wonder where all the 25 count promotional cartons of new release CD's go now? They must have a massive set sale eBay/Discogs/Retail handle operation...thatsalotta packing and mailing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.