Rod Evans 1980 "Deep Purple" Live

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jonmayo15, Dec 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jonmayo15

jonmayo15 Forum Resident Thread Starter

In 1980 original Deep Purple lead singer Rod Evans got together with a "fake" Deep Purple band and toured before he was shut down by the real band's mangement. He lost royalty rights to all the material he recorded with the band and today his whereabouts are unknown.

I've wondered if any video existed of this lineup and apparently some does. Here's Evans' attempt at "Smoke on The Water"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYuLwQMB7h4

2. zen

zen Senior Member

The original Deep Purple albums have gained some respect and popularity in recent years and Rod would have done well with the royalty rights, but now...

...more for Blackmore, Lord and Paice.

3. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

It's really too bad about this whole turn of events. I've always loved MK I Deep Purple as well as Rod Evans' work with Captain Beyond. I don't know if it's because of shame, embarrassment or something else all together, but it's too bad that he hasn't been heard from since.

4. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

How did he lose his royalty rights? Did he sell them? Can't imagine how they would have been taken from him.

5. Barnabas Collins

I don't think he lost royalty rights because of the 1980 reunion. I believe when Evans and Simper left the group and Tetragrammaton was absorbed by Warner Bros, Evans chose to receive a royalty check up front for a sum of money, while Nick Simper elected to collect royalties from album sales...something like that. I have Chris Charlesworth's bio kicking around some where and I think it's discussed in the book.

6. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

:righton:

The MK I albums are my favorites of DP. Really classis stuff from the late 60s.

The first two Captain Beyond albums were also great. The third - not so much.

7. bigmikerocks

bigmikerocks Forum Resident

haha, it's surreal hearing those words coming from rod evans' voice.

would be like hearing ozzy sing neon knights or something!!

8. zen

zen Senior Member

Actually, it's the other way around.

"Something" was by the Beatles. :D

9. vinyldoneright

vinyldoneright pbthal

I saw that tour in South Texas

10. zen

zen Senior Member

...and ?

11. keifspoon

keifspoon Senior Member

Not much has changed in 30 years....one original member then, one original member now. Sorry, couldn't resist! :D

12. vinyldoneright

vinyldoneright pbthal

Well you have to understand that South Texas did not get many shows, so we were excited to have anything, but me and my friends were into Captain Beyond so we knew it was Rod Evans, they were not bad from what I remember.

13. dbz

dbz Bolinhead.

Deep Purple (Overseas) ltd went to court to prevent the scheduled concerts and press announcement were made. Part of the court rulings was as they found in Purple's favor, Rod Evans was prevented from performing AND lost all his royalties from EMI.

or a someone put it better (from the youtube vid.comments)

Even the forfeiting of future artist royalties(for the first 3 Deep Purple albums) didn't recoup the enormous legal expenses of HEC Enterprises(Deep Purple's 1968-76 management) in suing the fake Deep Purple or satisfy the damages awarded to HEC by the courts. If Rod Evans ever attempted to make music again, any and all profits would be confiscated(by the courts) to satisfy his debt to HEC. His retirement from music isn't voluntary. It's enforced.

14. Barnabas Collins

Very sad.

15. The Rush Fan

The Rush Fan Well-Known Member

Someone copied and pasted dbz's comment above in YouTube's comments about "an hour ago"! LOL!

16. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

I still don't get how Evans could have lost his future royalties from a legal action based on his attempt to perform as some Purple line-up. They seem like two distinctive, separate issues. There has to be more to the story.

17. apple-richard

apple-richard *Overnight Sensation*

Well that's just a damn shame. I play the MK 1 Purple way more than MK 2. I much prefer Rods voice to Ian's.

18. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

The rest of that footage is sitting around somewhere...."Smoke On The Water" is an easy song to play. I can't imagine them doing "Burn" or something that actually requires some real finesse.

Also amusing they tuned the guitars down a whole step...still not sure that would've been enough for Rod to remotely approach the high notes in "Highway Star."

19. swandown

swandown Under Assistant West Coast Forum Resident

Maybe it went something like this:

- Evans was sued for participating in a fake Deep Purple
    - the court awarded $600K in damages and legal fees
    - since Evans didn't have the $600K, his royalties were garnished

20. Barnabas Collins

Wasn't it said that Rod Evans left the music business and went into the medical field? Or am I making that up?

I don't know diddly about legalities, but regardless of Evans' profession, isn't it possible that his wages are even now being garnished?

21. dbz

dbz Bolinhead.

Medical field might be a little optimistic. He was a hospital porter. Some interesting snippets here

http://www.cream-revival-band.com/Bogus_Deep_Purple_1980.html#3

22. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

If I remember John Kay's book correctly, some former members of Steppenwolf also lost their royalties when the same promoter enlisted them in a bogus Steppenwolf and Kay sued.

23. RocknBluz

RocknBluz Member

That was original member keyboardist Goldy McJohn who helped reform Steppenwolf in 1977 with past members Nick St. Nicholas and Kent Henry. They played in several incarnations of the band before defaulting (along with St. Nicholas) on his payments to use the Steppenwolf name.
    Here is a pic of the 1978 "Bogus Wolf" Band.

Attached Files:

24. zen

zen Senior Member

Rod Evan was a great ballad singer; but let's be honest, he wasn't going to change the sound of rock music, like Ian Gillan did.

25. Andersoncouncil

Andersoncouncil Forum Resident

Anyone see any setlists from this 1980 DP? I'm curious as to if it was heavy on songs from Mk1, or did they do many of the Mk2 hits? I guess Smoke on the Water would be a given, no matter what

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.