Roger Waters Says David Gilmour Rejected His 'Big Peace Plan' Offer:

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by David P. Hill, Oct 7, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Pretty blunt and harsh, but not necessarily off the mark. Even though they moved past the drama of the 80’s and 90’s and have even played a couple times together, it is understandable why Gilmour declined to tour with Waters as Pink Floyd after Live 8.

2. stax o' wax

stax o' wax Forum Resident

Roger asked me if I would play with him again and I said "no, you are a narwhale and have a huge a eggo".

3. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Yes, in the News section you can read about the activities of all former Floyd members and Polly Samson, but not Roger Waters.

MortSahlFan likes this.
  4. erikdavid5000

erikdavid5000 Forum Resident

Really? Eh, then I can see Roger’s point here. Then again, he did quit the band and spent decades slagging off their efforts.

5. dkmonroe

That's inimitable and an elephant!

(I don't expect anyone to understand that line :laugh:)

stax o' wax likes this.
  6. dkmonroe

And then he admitted that he was wrong to oppose it to begin with, but bad Roger don't deserve no sympathy. :laugh:

mando_dan and xfilian like this.
  7. PacificOceanBlue

In all fairness, it seems silly not to promote new Roger Waters projects in the band’s news page on it website. Yes, Roger quit in the mid-1980’s which followed roughly 20 years of acrimony, but he is an important alum. It isn’t as if the existing Pink Floyd entity has do anything over the top — a simple announcement isn’t going to cause any harm.

8. stax o' wax

stax o' wax Forum Resident

Damn it, you just don't have the right to go around slagging Pink Floyd for decades unless you've actually listened to their last few albums!

JohnCarter17, xfilian and dkmonroe like this.
  9. JohnCarter17

JohnCarter17 Forum Resident

Yeah, it's like some people don't want to bother to do any research about who was contributing what to The Wall or The Final Cut. By the end of the latter, Nick's major contribution was sound effects and Rick was a session contributor. It's obvious to anyone that attempts to look that Roger was still moving at full speed, 2 had essentially burned out and quit which just left David who was moving at half speed or so. The rest of the band wanted to recharge their batteries or coast for a while except Roger who had been doing the lions share of writing and composing. Roger was fine doing that as long as the rest pulled their weight but by that point, Nick and Rick were not. That was evident by the credits on The Final Cut. That led to the split.

10. JohnCarter17

Stop Trolling.

Singles are based on length and airplay. It wasn't a single for length reasons. Judging a songs success or quality by whether it was a single is a half measure and a poor one at that. It's a lowest common denominator benchmark.

Boy Echoes really sucked, it wasn't a single.
    But not as much as either parts of Shine on You Crazy Diamond.

And how about those Yes fans who like Close To The Edge, Tales or Gates? No singles there.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2019
    stax o' wax likes this.
  11. JohnCarter17

Right.

There was nothing with child vocals declaring "We Don't Need No Education". Nothing like that which got tons of airplay and is one of the handful of songs which most people associate with the album.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2019
    Sneaky Pete likes this.
  12. JohnCarter17

Where is the documentation that they were going to break their record contract and surrender future royalties?

13. JohnCarter17

Which he demonstrated by touring The Wall?

Lee Davis and St. Troy like this.
  14. kozy814

kozy814 Forum Resident

I never understand this concept of rich artists in groups together who don't agree with the "vision". They made each other rich. What other vision is there really? Especially in Pink Floyd's case, this band was to coin a overused term, "much greater than the some of it's parts". Gilmour and Waters don't like each other. We all know that. It's no secret that they don't love watching football together, or drinking pints, or writing lyrics. But they are financially secure because of one another. Roger wants to "continue" his work. Why can't they agree to do both? And if they don't want that, why the need for a big peace summit? To kowtow to fans? To do a new greatest hits with 2 new forgettable songs? I don't get it....

15. Sytze

Sytze Senior Member

Ah come on, no trolling involved. Do I judge CN's success or quality by the fact it wasn't a single? No sir. It IS a good song and I just wondered why they didn't choose to release it as a single in Europe. So please read carefully before posting insulting remarks. Thank you.

dkmonroe likes this.
  16. LC4O

LC4O Forum Resident

I Think Roger Waters made some brilliant lyrics, and his a great composer,over the years he has always a social outburst on his subjects,and
    never behaved like a spoiled or rich boy as we see in many rock stars.
    David Gilmour is a great musician and had a great importance in the PF sound , and always seemed to me a very honest person.
    So i have to say that i like both, thanks.

coffeetime, MortSahlFan and George P like this.
  17. jblock

jblock Senior Member

I can kind of see Roger's point if he wants his news on the Floyd site. I mean even the King Crimson official site posts news about Gordon Haskell, and Gordon has spent way more years slagging Robert Fripp than the 1 year he was actually part of the band.

MortSahlFan likes this.
  18. dkmonroe

Child vocals is "adolescent posturing?"

One song characterizes the whole album? Maybe you need to listen to it again.
    The Wall is his baby and the Floyd gladly let him have it, so fair play to him. He also released and toured several original and pretty non-commercial solo albums - he was far more persistent with his solo career than any other member of the Floyd.

PDK, No. 44, hiterss and 1 other person like this.
  19. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

Yes, two very talented musicians. May the gods keep them apart so they can't ruin the Floyd legacy with any kind of reunion.

stax o' wax likes this.
  20. dkmonroe

Never happened. No band has actually ever ruined their legacy by reforming or continuing to work.

O Don Piano, Anthrax and MortSahlFan like this.
  21. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

If I was already wealthy and accomplished I don’t think I would waste time working with or touring around with someone I didn’t like. I understand David’s position. He doesn’t owe anyone a thing he’s kept his end of the bargain. I loved Pink Floyd but I think they exhausted all it’s potential and they can let it rest unless they just want to perform their music live.

As for allowing Roger to promote his solo projects on the Pink Floyd website, that is an internal matter. None of us really know the personal dynamics or the contractural obligations that exist around the band and it’s break up. The bottom line is that it’s the band’s prerogative to handle their brand as they see fit.

Roger seems to have spent the past couple of decades repeating himself musically and degassing himself publicly with his pompous political diatribes. He has a devoted cadre of fans that will keep going to see him and buying his output, that should be enough to keep him satisfied.

22. Billy Infinity

Billy Infinity Beloved aunt

Agreed, but...

Do you mean that Rick appeared on The Final Cut as a session contributor? He did not. (I may have misunderstood your wording.)

23. Music Geek

Music Geek Confusion will be my epitaph

I suggest we try a big peace plan fot this thread.

NunoBento, Sneaky Pete, LC4O and 2 others like this.
  24. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

So, can I promote my music here, then? :laugh: :nyah:

PDK, BeatleJWOL and Sneaky Pete like this.
  25. PacificOceanBlue

Well, it depends on how one interprets how the lopsided contributions actually lead to the split. Roger became tyrannical and forced The Final Cut, which was not a project the rest of the band really wanted to invest in. It goes without saying that Roger was going to control the creative direction of that project; it isn’t as if there was much of a pathway for anyone else to get deeply involved in that manner. The band was at a breaking point.

St. Troy and Darren Richardson like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.