Roger Waters Says David Gilmour Rejected His 'Big Peace Plan' Offer:

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by David P. Hill, Oct 7, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Greenalishi

Greenalishi Birds Aren’t Real

They could make a whole lot of money touring as Pink Floyd. Charging boomer for the nostalgia hundreds of dollars for tickets. Where is the downside. This is what it's all about. Making money on nostalgia. Everyone in the audience can complain how there is no good music any more. Rap and country is stupid. God that Michael Mcdonald is great. Pink Floyd is missing the boat. Nick Mason is really off base doing music he loves that a few love. It's all about the bottom line the dollar and what most people want to hear. Pink Floyd is a symbolic popular name like Coca Cola why not cash in some more buy another Rolls?

Smash likes this.
  2. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

His statement is consistent with his expressed belief at the time, which was that Pink Floyd was a "spent force" and had done everything that it could possibly do. He wanted to move beyond it. And that's pretty much what he did. Nobody leaves their past behind entirely but having sat through the entire Pros And Cons show in the 80's, I can say that, yeah, that was not Pink Floyd.

3. Ron2112

Ron2112 Forum Resident

True, but ironically, pretty much every other tour done by RW or DG has been Pink Floyd with a couple odd solo tunes thrown in. For guys who consistently say "they want to get on with it," a huge amount of time is spent NOT getting on.

I'm sure there are financial implication to all the fighting that have made the whole legal battle harder to get over, but at this point, they are ALL rich, ALL decades beyond the worst of the insults hurled at each other, and ALL not getting any younger. It would seem that at some point you've got to forgive and embrace what they did as a team.

4. LarryP

LarryP Soul Singing

As discussed in length in this thread, it is much more than the bottom line. Moreover, it is typically difficult to get motivated when one has 8-9 figures in one's chequing account....

Ryan Lux likes this.
  5. JohnCarter17

JohnCarter17 Forum Resident

This.
    You go full nuclear douche bag on the rest of the band, sue them to stop them from continuing as PF and expected more?

6. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Well, that's as I said, almost no one leaves the past behind completely, and the Waters show I saw was one set Floyd songs and one set P&C, but it seemed clear that he was trying to throw fans a bone but also do what he wanted to do, which was make P&C the focal point of his show.

7. JumpinJimF

JumpinJimF Still perfecting ways of making sealing wax

Just a thought, but maybe they think they've got enough money?

zinan, mando_dan and O Don Piano like this.
  8. JohnCarter17

JohnCarter17 Forum Resident

This. If Roger had pulled his head out of his ass around Division Bell or so, this might have happened.

Spastica and Chrome_Head like this.
  9. peterpyser

peterpyser Forum Resident

I've not read all the posts very well, so if i understand correctly this “Big Peace Plan”is the title of a forthcoming Pink Floyd album with both Gilmour and Waters on it?

:D:D:D:D

10. adad

adad Forum Resident

I'd me more excited to see Roger do more with Nick Mason playing pre Dark Side of the Moon stuff than a Pink Floyd reunion. Keep it low key. Play smaller venues. Keep the songs loose and jam.

andrewskyDE, tedhead, Lonecat and 2 others like this.
  11. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

I know it’s hard for you to believe, but a lot of older “Boomer “artists aren’t moved by money only. I’m sure David and Roger have plenty of money.
    One thing you probably didn’t think about in your predictable, completely wrong invective is the fact that where as in the past artists in their 60s and 70s could rely on royalties from the sales of their music so they didn’t have to go on the road. That doesn’t happen anymore. So people that probably don’t even WANT to go out on the road HAVE to go out in the road at 70 years old.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2019
    Fullbug and mark winstanley like this.
  12. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

As I stated on the second reply to this thread, it has turned into a David versus Roger thread. It figures.

Sometimes I wonder if most of you even like music, or respect artists at all.

andrewskyDE, zinan, ARK and 7 others like this.
  13. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

Yep, concert tickets were cheap, and essentially to promote the new album

O Don Piano likes this.
  14. Alofter

Alofter Nowhere Man

When I read that interview I immediately went to the thought of Roger showing up at the annual shareholders meeting and thinking he held cards that would facilitate a “peace plan”-implying he would not reject future or ready 5:1 remixes and Pink Floyd product if they in turn allow him more visibility on the Official Pink Floyd website as a solo artist. Win win for RW. While the rest take the stance that they will not negotiate.

It’s hard not to also see the backhanded comment made, after just saying he’s enjoyed his rekindled friendship with Nick just to point out he would never do gigs like the ones Nick do.

And really, why drudge up U2 and a conversation that took place 40 years ago. That seems like a long time to hold on to a grudge.
    There’s just too much drama and finger pointing in this mans life. I’d steer clear too.

15. csqmnem89

csqmnem89 Forum Resident

IMO Waters is an incredible idiot and I would not blame anyone for not wanting to work with him

serj and musicaner like this.
  16. nicotinecaffeine

nicotinecaffeine Forum Resident

That's a shame. Have seen Waters and SOS; both were excellent.

17. plentyofjamjars67

plentyofjamjars67 Forum Resident

Idiot?o_O have you worked with him?

18. Efus

Efus Senior Member

I believe he was referring to the situation in 1985, and Roger had been pulling at them for awhile with a fair amount of resistance,
    between The Wall and The Final Cut.

I think David learned a lesson while trying to tour solo in 1984,
    and Roger learned a big lesson watching the Gilmour led Floyd brand fill stadiums and sell merchandise in '87 and '94.

These fellas maybe pig-headed, full of pride and ego, Waters more so, but dumb they are not.....

19. Good for David. I presume he has his reasons, and I've always felt like artists should follow their muse wherever it leads (or DOESN'T lead) -- and with whomever they can have a productive relationship -- or NOT -- however they choose, as is best for them.

(And good on Robert Plant for rarely reviving the Zeppelin monster, and only on his own terms (and very rarely) -- same thing.)

No animus intended towards Roger (on my part), but I simply support David in choosing his own path (and whether to include Roger in that, or not).

Might I enjoy some sort of reunion, or collaborative effort if they each wanted to work together again? -- sure. But I definitely don't need it.

20. csqmnem89

csqmnem89 Forum Resident

21. plentyofjamjars67

plentyofjamjars67 Forum Resident

ok well I don't agree. I don't think he's an idiot. :) that's all.

Efus and jimhb like this.
  22. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

They are all very rich, and for some there is no amount of money that would make you agree to live with your ex- again just to please your friends.

23. xfilian

xfilian Forum Resident

Both Roger and David learnt that solo tours were going to be a hard slog in the mid eighties. Waters lost money on the Pros and Cons tour. David went scampering back to the safety and shelter of the Pink Floyd brand. Roger decided to carry on on his own regardless. That shows a great deal of integrity and I have always respected him for that.

Smack, Frans T, TaumpyTears and 6 others like this.
  24. The Bishop

The Bishop Forum Resident

David Gilmour said he hugely regretted having Volkswagen as sponsor on The Division Bell tour FYI.

Studio_Two and hi_watt like this.
  25. amonjamesduul

amonjamesduul Forum Resident

Schrodingers Gilmour.Not motivated by money for a new Floyd project while fleecing fans for a new box set at the same time(according to some people)

longaway, xfilian and NunoBento like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.