Roger Waters teaser at rogerwaters.com New album?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Pinknik, Oct 7, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member Thread Starter

Francis A Carr and fallbreaks like this.
  2. LarsO

LarsO Forum Resident

fallbreaks and Pinknik like this.
  3. Pinknik

From the article LarsO linked to:

In separate Waters news, he spoke at The Occupation of the American Mind premiere, and revealed that his proper tour, lasting a couple of years, will start at the end of May next year; he said that the shows this year (including the upcoming Desert Trip concerts) will be the only ones presenting the selected back catalogue material in this format - the 2017-18 tour will be an all-new show. More information as it is announced...

4. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

Us + Them, huh? Its either DSOTM related or he's doing some benefit project. I'd be real surprised if this was a brand new, original album. But I'd love to be wrong.

5. tmwlng

tmwlng Forum Resident

Whatever happens happens... But Roger, nearly in his mid-70's, pulling off big ideas and tours like this - hats off to him. I would love to catch a show should I have the chance. Whether or not you agree with the causes behind his artistry, you got to hand it to him that the stamina and idealism he shows is pretty much unparalleled for someone his age. I might be wrong... But it sure feels like this.

A new album would be interesting too... In the vein of Amused to Death, that would be killer.

klockwerk, CrazyCatz, Dave and 6 others like this.
  6. Pinknik

Shew lord, I hope it's not Dark Side of the Moon related. If it's the title of a new album that's already a bit too much of a wink and nudge. While it's fine and economically wise for Roger to let folks know he was in Pink Floyd, the whole "genius of Pink Floyd" I could do without.

BeSteVenn, Kalli, mastaflatch and 2 others like this.
  7. I'm about fed up with Ol Rog. In fact, I'm fed up with all three of them. I will be continuing to support their lifestyles and their views that completely differ with mine for the considerable future. Funny how that works...

CrazyCatz, Kalli and Rufus McDufus like this.
  8. He is not the creative genius in the Floyd. They all were, which is why they were so dam good. Just because your the only member of the band after Barrett that can write more than three songs a year does not make you head up heels better than the others.

Daryl Broussard likes this.
  9. van1

van1 Forum Resident

Listening to it, I thought it had a'fearless' vibe, timely as he's just resurrected it for the live shows. Just an (audible) observation, no speculation.

10. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

A new Roger Waters album? What, another version of The Wall?

Vinyl Addict, bob60, ramdom and 2 others like this.
  11. oh1

oh1 Forum Resident

Us + Them. It's the long awaited Pink Floyd duets album!.

The Beave, mando_dan, paolo and 7 others like this.
  12. optoman

optoman Forum Resident

He has nothing to offer. Waste of time.

Larry C. McGinnis III likes this.
  13. Big time LMAO on the last two posts

The Beave likes this.
  14. Creative genius who has not had a solo album of new material since 1992, who finally finished and recorded a opera he began in 1989, around the time he began songs for what ended up being the 1992 solo album, so with my maths, it's been 25 or 27 years since he wrote a song that has been released...but he is a "Creative Genius"...I'm in the wrong racket :doh:

15. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Oh gawd...That's a joke but it just might be correct...No no no no no no...

Larry C. McGinnis III likes this.
  16. I would buy a Roger Waters record of this a hundred times over, though:

AlanDistro likes this.
  17. Lord Summerisle

Lord Summerisle Forum Resident

There are some asinine posts in this thread. Good grief. :rolleyes:

18. DrZhivago

DrZhivago Hedonist

I don't think Rog owes you anything.

19. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Bringing The Wall to Mexico. And making them pay for it.

20. oh1

oh1 Forum Resident

Their compilations in most cases have a touch more class, Echoes for instance.
    Hopefully we will never see contemporary "reinterpretation" or even worse the posthumous duet where the primal opening word from John Lennon's "Mother" is attached to the closing track on side one of The Wall.
    MOTHER do you think they'll drop the bomb?

21. marc with a c

marc with a c Forum Resident

I have a sneaking suspicion that it's the project that had been referred to as "Lay Down Jerusalem" with a slightly more commercial title.

At least, I'm hoping.

22. Efus

Efus Senior Member

No, but the fact Rog stepped up, took the baton, and lead Pink Floyd after a couple meandering years does.

After Syd passed, and not for nothing, using your analogy, Syd's place in Floyd history is definitely overpraised considering the totality of his accomplishment and input.
    But no, the guy that comes up with the idea and the framework that allows everyone to shine should be given his proper due.

First it was Syd, and then when Roger brought outline of DSOTM, he became (as much as I hate hearing it in my personal working life, for real) the "big idea" guy that allowed the Floyd to keep moving forward.
    After DSOTM, they had nothing left to prove, noted they should have split up, but the money was too big, and they were too scared, so they kept at it.

Its an odd situation, Floyd is getting less out of Wright, and Gilmour didn't seem to be real confident to advance any of the concepts he may have had, so Roger steps up with the ideas.

In short, Roger is a limited musician with a grasp of big concepts/ideas and works it out on a huge scale. Roger is confrontational, and makes you react, pick a side.
    David is a brilliant musician, that brings a lighter touch, a more quieter introspective feel to these things, and personality wise more low key and less confrontational.
    No way, Roger gets any of it done without David, and David didn't have the capacity to come up with concepts that Roger did to make Floyd records as intelligent and challenging as they were.

Just my opinion, but taking Pink Floyd out of the equation, Roger's solo records were a lot better on a whole, and more interesting than anything David Gilmour put out solo.

23. All of the men in the group brought the whole package "the sound." I don't care who wrote the words, and when Roger started just concentrating on that, his contribution to the group sound via arranging slipped. There would of been no magnum opus' without the arrangements brought to the table by the other three. While I love "The Final Cut", with Wright gone, the colour was gone from the band. It is just a stark, somewhat lifeless masterpiece. All of the members were "creative genuis'" not just Rog. And it is pitiful for ANYONE to call themselves that.

Northern Lights, Kalli and floyd like this.
  24. Efus

Efus Senior Member

I'll just note this.
    Its been long rumored, and mentioned by Roger, that he's got 2 albums he's working on.
    One is an album based on love and sex, the other a "political" album, fwiw.

Last time Roger got forced into speeding something up for release, it resulted in Rick Wright quitting and the beginning of the end of Pink Floyd.
    As far as the creative time frame, in the recent Rolling Stone, Springsteen noted he's been working on 1 particular album for 20 years now.
    So it is what it is.

Sounds like with "Us and Them" Roger is going to be taking some stands in a live setting that will be sure to have some mentally fragile audience members swooning from the vapors....

stax o' wax and Zeki like this.
  25. Anne Elk (Miss)

Anne Elk (Miss) Well-Known Member

I humbly disagree. IMO, this is exactly what makes you "better than the others," particularly in the context of an original-material band. I think the dearth of material offered up by Gilmour and Wright after 1975 is effectively what came to define Pink Floyd. It doesn't matter how much more I love The Dark Side Of The Moon and Wish You Were Here; the last three albums were increasingly, to the point of exclusively, Waters creations and were, again IMO, more Pink Floyd than anything released under that banner after 1983.

I must say, I bridled at the "creative genius" label and preferred it when he claimed he was the "creative force" behind Pink Floyd, which he certainly was for most of its latter output, even if one considers it a semantic irrelevance. Gilmour brought as much to the Floyd table after 1975 as Art Garfunkel brought to Simon & Garfunkel. As Paul Simon said when they split up (paraphrasing from memory): "I know Art makes my songs sound nicer but I don't care."

Personally, I think a 23-year old Amused To Death far outweighs 2015's Rattle That Lock. Gilmour is incapable of creating a work of substance by himself and, even in collaboration with Wright and Mason, teeters on the brink of abject vacuousness in comparison with Waters's work. I love Dave's solo albums and I like The Division Bell and The Endless River but they're pop pap compared to Roger's best solo work (Radio K.A.O.S. is pretty crap, too, IMO).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.