Roger Waters "Us + Them" Concert Film

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rontoon, Apr 1, 2019.

1. Django216

Django216 Forum Resident

2. Rubberpigg

Rubberpigg Senior Member

:laughup:
    I love Roger!

3. opiumden

opiumden Forum Resident

I highly doubt those special features won't be included at least on the blu-ray, but just in case, I won't be buying anything until there's further information.

And now I understand why some people think the video editing is ****.
    The Wall (with documentary sections woven in) looks like a masterpiece compared to this.

4. Zongadude

Zongadude Music is the best

Indeed. I'm a professional video editor, and I must admit this small extract makes me cringe. I just don't understand the frame of mind of the person who did the editing of this footage. He or she just doesn't have a clue about music, about rhythm and pace and how to properly edit concert footage. Every decision here (choice of shots, points of view, when to cut to another shot, choosing between close ups or wide shots, when to use audience shots and when not to use them....) is wrong, to my humble opinion. :eek:
    Editing should create emotion and bring footage to life. That is not happening at all here. Quite the contrary. :cry:
    I find it really hard to watch, if not unwatchable.

zinan, rontoon and opiumden like this.
  5. moomaloo

moomaloo All-round good egg

I tried to be more charitable but.... I’m a grumpy old git but I’m really not interested in close-up shots of the crowd having a ‘moment’...

Sorry.

6. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

Well, I must have watched US + THEM at least a couple of dozen times. I have not given the editing a second thought, I've just enjoyed every second of it. Really looking forward to a hard copy.

kvsawilson, aphexj and Zongadude like this.
  7. I have listened to Us + Them many more times than I have watched it. I just prefer my own pictures when listening, good to see a CD/Vinyl option of this is coming in a few months, no doubt the audio on the BluRay will be very listenable too. Just need to edit in Smell The Roses and add Comfortably Numb as the encore.

I usually only want to see a concert once (possibly twice when separated by a few years). Much as I like Roger's work, I find some of his theatrics a bit off-putting at times never mind the bad editing in general.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2020
    Deek57 likes this.
  8. Django216

Django216 Forum Resident

I saw the film last year in the theater and really wasn't to impressed by it either.

It feels like the movie was edited without simultaneously hearing the music and also (this might just be my opinion) there are way too many close ups and way too less wide shots.
    The movie continuously from close to close to close and I felt a bit disoriented after a while and wasn't so sure anymore if all this was happening in the same room.

Kind of dissapointing for me. I really, really enjoyed the concert in Berlin in June 2018, I even had some tears in my eye during some songs (Welcome To The Machine especially) but the movie didn't even came close to that feeling.

I also really hoped that all those great encores that I missed will be released as special features (Bravery of Being out of Range, Two Suns in the Sunset etc.)
    but it seems like we won't even get Mother & Wait For Her and those songs were performed in Amsterdam and probably recorded.
    If they think those songs (aswell as Smell The Roses & CN) don't fit the movie, fine with me BUT why not release them as seperate special features?

Still: Music is great and I actually wanted to buy an audio only version (CD or LP) but if thats missing the two tracks....
    I don't know...

Scancom likes this.
  9. Incredulous_Observer

Incredulous_Observer Forum Resident

I totally agree, I'm watching a performance to see the performer. I don't recall being at any event where I have wanted to take my eyes off the stage so I can turn and face the crowd and watch them instead. To have it repeatedly forced upon me during songs in a concert film is frustrating and I think they should keep crowd shots for between songs if anywhere.

10. vitorbastos123

vitorbastos123 Forum Resident

I hate it with all my heart. It literally makes me not watch the DVD anymore.

Paul McCartney officially released DVDs are the ones who take the crown for this. Back In The Us, Space Within Us (this is awful, check out Penny Lane, it literally is 50/50 stage/audience shots) and Good Evening NYC (there's literally a moment in the film that a woman speaks to the camera during a song... WTF ????).
    Unwatchable.

pablorkcz, Django216 and rlj1010 like this.
  11. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

Just purchased from Prime, before I finally commit by clicking play can anybody tell me is it in 5.1 (the early ltd run was not).

12. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac Thread Starter

Not if Nigel mixed it as poorly as he did Roger's live Wall release.

Clucking likes this.
  13. SlimLee

SlimLee Forum Resident

I like Nigel’s mixes, on both latter-day Radiohead albums, and Is This the Life...? :whistle:

Billy Infinity likes this.
  14. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

I think some choices were motivated by showcasing the gimmicky extra wide aspect ratio. Plus I'm sure his management/2021 promoter want the miming aspect down played as much as possible, so most Roger close ups were off limits.

Similar visual editing tricks are used when other concert DVDs resort to punch-in new vocals or get tricky by mixing in alternate nights audio.

15. triply

triply Forum Resident

I loved this. I'm really looking forward to getting the audio and video. I really wish a 4K physical release was made, but have no hope!

16. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac Thread Starter

I think you may be in the minority with that opinion. ITTLWRW had a horribly compressed mix. It may work for Radiohead but was a disaster for Roger.

Clucking likes this.
  17. xfilian

xfilian Forum Resident

So the film is available in 4K on Amazon prime but it seems physical release is limited to a standard BluRay....

Has anyone purchased the 4K version and if so can they confirm if it is HDR as for my money this makes more of a difference than the uptick in resolution, particularly with this kind of footage.

18. Bonddm

Bonddm Forum Resident

The description has now been updated to include the extras.

Us + Them Blu-Ray | Shop the Roger Waters Official Store

19. TimGoodwin

TimGoodwin Forum Resident

No HDR

Billy Infinity and xfilian like this.
  20. Zongadude

Zongadude Music is the best

I envy you. I wish I could say the same :cry:

rontoon likes this.
  21. coffeetime

coffeetime Senior Member

UK iTunes & Amazon Prime versions are HD & SD only, no 4K. No HDR/Dolby Vision.

The UK iTunes version does not have seperate iTunes Extras so the ‘bonus’ tracks are presumably after the main film.

The UK iTunes version lists the film as having a 5.1 soundtrack. I’d expect the UK Amazon Prime version to have the same.

Deek57 likes this.
  22. sumaes

sumaes Forum Resident

The iTunes Store has a 4K badge on its listing but when you "Get Info" on the file it shows the resolution as 720P. Has anyone been able to confirm that the iTunes version is 4K?

23. xfilian

xfilian Forum Resident

I am getting the option of a 4K purchase for £14.99 on Amazon Prime UK.

Deek57 and coffeetime like this.
  24. coffeetime

coffeetime Senior Member

Interesting. Browsing via Safari/IPad Pro and the Prime iPad app from work at the moment. Will try via laptop & Fire Stick 4K when I get home, see if I get a different result.

EDIT: Problem solved. The 4K version is a separate item altogether from the HD/SD version. Searching ‘Roger Waters Us and Them 4K’ turns up the 4K version.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2020
    xfilian likes this.
  25. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

Bonddm likes this.