Roger Waters "Us + Them" Concert Film

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rontoon, Apr 1, 2019.

1. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

72/100 on Metacritic, I don't think they gave it such marks despite that disaster

2. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac Thread Starter

A Metacritic score doesn't take into account all the criticism that Nigel has received for both his Waters mixes garnering much more complaints than praise. His mixes are disasters, IMO which many have agreed with. And you're citing a score of 72 is a C- grade which is hardly something to brag about.

Also, I haven't seen one streaming media platform that is offering the bonus material independently of the feature. They're tacked onto the end in every case, AFAIK.

3. NunoBento

NunoBento Rock 'n' Roll Star

I'm in for the BluRay and the vinyl, although I wish he made a quadruple set featuring the Wait For Her suite, Smell The Roses (how did the lead single get left out?!), Two Suns In The Sunset and Bravery. I can do without a(ny) Davidless Comfortably Numb.

4. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

Metacritic takes ALL reviews into account, good and bad (including the mixed or poor reviews the album received in UK press which DO mention Nigel's production). It's not a 'letter grade' system either; 72 is on balance favourable reviews with some mixed ones (a ratio of something like 3:1 with favourable being the majority)

Zeki likes this.
  5. rontoon

Metacritic doesn't make Nigel's horribly compressed mix any better. And a score of 72/100 is nothing to brag about.

6. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

"I think you may be in the minority" is what I was responding to, Ron, I don't like the mix either but surely WE are the minority on that

7. jonboy71

jonboy71 Forum Resident

Seems odd to me they would choose to release this early on streaming platforms. I would generally buy the physical media version, but since this is out first I don't see a reason to buy the physical version. If they had more bonus tracks, etc. then it would be a no brainer.

8. rontoon

Sorry, I miss understood. And I'm also sorry to disagree. Just read the thread on his last album. It appears that many more people complained about the mix than praised it. To each their own.

9. Azza200

Azza200 Forum Resident

too many cuts of the audience people singing along not good imo on the Brick p2 clip

rontoon likes this.
  10. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

On the other hand, if there's one song that warrants the crowd joining in, it's Another Brick.

ARK and aphexj like this.
  11. Chop

Chop Forum Resident

Just watched the clip. Is it amazing? No. Are the notes about the editing legit? No.

It looks like any concert film would look in this day and age - no more, no less.

Yea - too much crowd.

It's fine to nitpick - but this is just looking for stuff to complain about.

IMHO of course.

12. coffeetime

coffeetime Senior Member

UK iTunes now 4K, although the price has increased from £14.99 earlier when it was just HD/SD.

(Interestingly Disney has withheld their films in 4K from iTunes on account of Apple not letting Disney charge a premium for 4K over the HD version, £13.99 here in the UK. I'd love to know quite how Roger's film has managed to get a £17.99 premium price point for 4K).

13. rontoon

While I respect everyone's opinion I tend to agree with @Zongadude about the editing on this one and dismissing the opinion of a professional video editor as not being legitimate seems unfair.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2020
  14. Chop

Chop Forum Resident

I'm an Editor by trade too - but whatever.

Opinions.

rontoon likes this.
  15. rontoon

Cool beans!
    I'm an editor and my wife's an editor!
    (Life of Brian joke)

vitorbastos123, SilverCheek and Chop like this.
  16. Chop

Chop Forum Resident

Best reply ever.

rontoon likes this.
  17. rontoon

It's nice to be appreciated. Leave it to the Pythons to level the playing field. Thanks, brother!

Chop likes this.
  18. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

Maybe the unusual editing is do to Roger lip-syncing?

19. Hollowsanctuary

Hollowsanctuary Aujourd’hui, je dis bonjour à la vie

It’s the standard now, everything is released on streaming platforms. I didn’t buy ITTLWRW as I was waiting for a blu ray/surround option and didn’t feel the need to buy the cd. When I heard it was a bad mix/compressed, I couldn’t see the need to buy a physical disc if I could get it on Spotify premium. And I listen to that album quite often.

I will buy this release on blu ray but I think those days are numbered too as more releases are digital. I haven’t heard the new Pearl Jam album in surround mode but I think it’s cool it is release that way - and no physical release. We don’t need no more physical media!

20. Django216

Django216 Forum Resident

I disagree!

[​IMG]

zinan likes this.
  21. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

We don't need it.

But some of us still want it.

ARK and Big Pasi like this.
  22. Hollowsanctuary

Irony is lost on the internet...just like We don’t need no education was ironic...

ARK and rontoon like this.
  23. Django216

Django216 Forum Resident

WE DON'T NEED NO PHYSICAL MEDIA, WE DON'T NEED NO THINGS TO OWN, NO GOOD MASTERING ON OUR SYSTEM

ARK, Hollowsanctuary and rontoon like this.
  24. Hollowsanctuary

Funny Django.

I just noticed that amazon.ca has the blu ray as Region B/2 so right now I’m holding off of buying it as I don’t have a multiregion player. I have this on 2.0 right now so I’m in no real rush to obtain the blu ray. (And I doubt it actually is B/2 as music videos are usually region free but, again, no real rush to order.)

Last edited: Jun 17, 2020
    rontoon likes this.
  25. rontoon

Besides being compressed the audio mix is flat and lifeless and doesn't sound live at all. In almost all instances the audience sounds are removed. Sounds like a studio recording.

Azza200, Deek57 and SilverCheek like this.