Roger Waters "Us + Them" Concert Film

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rontoon, Apr 1, 2019.

1. ShockOfDaylight

ShockOfDaylight Forum Resident

I love that version of Dogs, the backing singers vocals during the climax are especially great.

2. Leviathan

Leviathan Forum Resident

Did he play any Final Cut songs on this tour?

3. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

Perfect Sense is great on that disc, too.

vitorbastos123 and Geordiepete like this.
  4. Azza200

Azza200 Forum Resident

why is it bonkers too you that someone can enjoy both eras of Floyd. I agree with what he says about TFC i have not listened too it in years apart from Not Now John a few times on YT recently. I went thru a stage where i gave the album a listen everyday for a week i liked it but its such a depressing album has a few highlights NNJ, The Gunners Dream but its not an album i will go out my way too listen too.

5. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

I think The Final Cut is fantastic. As are the Waters-less Floyd albums.

Big Pasi, rontoon and Azza200 like this.
  6. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

Not Now John is actually my least favourite on the album!

rontoon and Billy Infinity like this.
  7. Billy Infinity

Billy Infinity Beloved aunt

TheKevster and Leviathan like this.
  8. peteham

peteham Senior Member

Mine too.

Bink and Billy Infinity like this.
  9. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

I DO have the DVD. It's in the Roger Waters Collection box. I must have forgot or not realized. I'll check it out ASAP!

10. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac Thread Starter

11. Billy Infinity

“The Gunners Dream” was played three times while “Two Suns in the Sunset” was played four times.

rontoon likes this.
  12. Geordiepete

Geordiepete Tippet tyer

Discussing whether or not a protest album is or ought to be subtle is all but impossible on this website, as political discussion is not permitted.
    'Broken Bones' was played 5 times. Perhaps my favourite track from Is This the Life We Really Want?

rontoon likes this.
  13. richard wilberforce

richard wilberforce Forum Resident

I think Grease is better than Graceland. Seriously

But agree that sales are not the barometer of good and bad

quicksrt likes this.
  14. xfilian

xfilian Forum Resident

The fact that the album was not supported by a tour would have out a big dent in sales. Not that it matters - this was always more of an artistic statement than a radio friendly unit shifter.

Billy Infinity likes this.
  15. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

I'd take the artistic statement over a radio friendly unit shifter any time.

16. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

Now that you mention it, a Final Cut tour is an interesting fantasy in terms of setlist. I'd expect the whole album to be played as set 1, but set 2 is a blank page with possibilities.

Billy Infinity and xfilian like this.
  17. Billy Infinity

I’d wager that a Set 2 in 1983 would consist largely of the trio’s favorite material from their 1973-1979 heyday along with perhaps one Syd tune for good measure. Certainly every common song between Roger’s solo sets and Gilmour/Floyd III’s sets to date.

18. Cool hand luke

Cool hand luke There you go man, keep as cool as you can

Ewwwww....:sigh: :winkgrin:

Deek57 likes this.
  19. Azza200

Azza200 Forum Resident

second set would probably had Shine On, Money Us and Them, Time, One Of These Days Brick P2 Hey You Comfortably Numb RLH but is a tough one

20. rontoon

If they followed their typical modus operandi The Final Cut would have been played for the first set and an abridged version of The Wall for the second. Maybe Money and Wish You Were Here for encores. I can't see them playing anything from Animals.

21. Johnny Feathers

Johnny Feathers Forum Resident

Just bought and watched the 4K version last night. I will say, it LOOKS amazing. It might edge out Gilmour’s Pompeii video in that regard. As for the content, a lot of what’s been said already: Waters miming and gesturing the lyrics, pointing and scowling, are all pretty silly. It kind of renders his band to be anonymous. Other than the female vocalists, you hardly ever see who’s playing, as the camera keeps focusing on Waters hamming it up while they actually play and sing. The edit of the show is pretty weird, too. Eclipse is pretty stunning, then he comments on Palestine, then....roll credits? It’s a very jarring end to an otherwise enjoyable show. It really needs Comfortably Numb to properly end the show, and not just as a bonus track. I also think some kind of interaction with the audience before the end of the show would be welcome.

Also, the youngsters weeping and singing every word of the new songs are silly. It’s too bad—the show doesn’t need that to sell the emotion of the songs, but Waters apparently doesn’t trust the audience. Everything beats the viewer over the head.

I actually quite like the new material, and the Animals songs. One of these Days also sounds suitably different from Gilmour’s versions.

Overall, a nice but imperfect release. Nice to add it to the collection for relatively cheap.

22. RockNRod

RockNRod Forum Resident

It's possible that this was edited for younger audiences/newer fans who do not know the lyrics as well or the meaning of the songs. So, this version may look normal to them.

23. Crosseyed

Crosseyed help I'm a rock

To me it seems like the vocals are overdubbed in the studio - at least for another brick in the wall - which is the only clip I've seen so far. Nonetheless Water's is doing something far more relevant than the "surrogate" band ever did after his departure.

24. Sigma6

Sigma6 Forum Resident

My guess is they are the vocals recorded in the studio that were used on the tour.

Scancom and Crosseyed like this.
  25. rontoon

I don't need relevance from Roger Waters, thank you. I much prefer my entertainment to be live and without pandering to the audience.