Róisín Murphy, 'Overpowered' being reissued on vinyl.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Groovy, Dec 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Groovy

Groovy Forum Resident Thread Starter

After one of the CD tracks came up on shuffle and caused ear pain, I decided to see how much a vinyl copy would cost - at least $158 on Discogs.

But just a few days ago someone left a comment and link for a reissue coming on January 18th, 2019.

The description implies that the double LP will be on the same orange and pink vinyl as the original and this time 'Parallel Lines' is included on side D.

Be With Records • Róisín Murphy ‎ Overpowered double LP
    If anyone could chime in with any information about Be With Records and the quality of their releases I'd appreciate it.

2. Groovy

*That should of course be Parallel Lives not Lines. Must have been thinking about Blondie.

3. tin ears

tin ears Forum Resident

Only own two Be With releases so far but have no complaints with either. As a matter of fact the last one I purchased - Point Of View by Marti Caine - is one of the quietest pressings I've bought in the last few years. Really nice vinyl with a wonderfully silent background that puts the like of Optimal to shame. Definitely one of the easiest needledrops I've ever worked on. Of course with coloured vinyl there's no guarantee the quality will be the same, but here's hoping.

Pre-ordered this the second I found out about it. Good to see Parallel Lives added to the track list too as that omission was one of the main reasons I avoided the original pressing.

Groovy likes this.
  4. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

:pineapple:

i paid a pretty penny for my copy years ago, and had to get it from someone in denmark. not quite that much, however. and it has a small defect on one side.

thanks for sharing; this is absolutely my favorite of hers.

pghmusiclover and Groovy like this.
  5. andres lira

andres lira Forum Resident

Please wake me up when they resissue Ruby Blue

tin ears likes this.
  6. erowid

erowid Die unerträgliche Leichtigkeit des Seins

Bought an original back then when it was still new. Hope the price for it remains stable as it’s one of my rainy day records. Still I’m lucky for everyone who missed out the first time around.

7. Mr Olsen

Mr Olsen Granddanois

My only Be With Records purchase was the first time on vinyl RSD release of Plush: Fed. My copy was badly warped and long gone from my local store but still available to order from the Be With website. I have send them a number of emails to kindly ask for a replacement copy but so far never got a reply, only “sorry we will get back to you after the summer vacation” and now “sorry we are on maternity leave, will get back to you”. They are busy on Facebook, Instagram etc. but can’t answer emails. I avoid future purchases...

Groovy likes this.
  8. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

"Ruby Blue" isn't that expensive, is it? Saw a copy recently for 40€ but left it for a fellow fan.

Btw: You just inspired me to look up "Statues" on Discogs. Ouch! Two copies for sale starting at.... $399?! Not sure what's wrong with the Echo label. Moloko could definitely use a vinyl boxset!

Last edited: Jan 6, 2019
    pghmusiclover and GentleSenator like this.
  9. hamicle

hamicle Forum Resident

That’s strange to hear. I bought their Ahmad Jamal Trio reissue direct from their webshop; the first copy I received suffered from non-fill but I got in touch with them and was able to arrange a swap for a replacement copy, which was pretty much perfect. A great sounding record. I also have their Kylie re-issue.

Groovy likes this.
  10. Groovy

The release date now says February 15th and the price has gone up to £26.

11. andres lira

andres lira Forum Resident

More like 70 euros on discogs plus the shipping which is always very expensive for me.

12. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

hell i'd even take a CD box set of moloko albums. do you know how difficult it's been to get these over here?

13. Groovy

I was very surprised yesterday when my vinyl arrived, on release day - all the way from the U.K. to the U.S.

The discs are flat and centered though I haven't had time to play them yet.

GentleSenator likes this.
  14. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

i went ahead and ordered mine from amazon.de and it shipped out days ahead of "release" too, although the label's site now states february 15th for a release date. can't wait to get it!

15. Groovy

I just played disc 1 and it's possibly the quietest piece of vinyl I own - no pops or clicks and dead silent between tracks. The 3 reviewers on Discogs had a similar experience.

The music still has a lot of compression (to my ears, today) but it now sounds like I could crank it without damaging my hearing.

Nice job, Record Industry.

tin ears and GentleSenator like this.
  16. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

do you by chance have the original to compare?

17. Groovy

I don't, just the CD.

Both the new vinyl discs are flawless.

GentleSenator likes this.
  18. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

after some delay, i received my copy from amazon.de the other day.

very nice package. flat finyl, blemish free. decent enough sound. glad to have the more "complete" version now.

from what i've read, bewith records grossly underestimated the demand for this and now many folks are still waiting for a copy. 2/15 is the date for the next round.

19. modehead101

modehead101 Forum Resident

Tops marks to Be With Records as this is such a lush repress. One of the best sounding reissues I've ever heard - a real audiophile recording with no background noise. Worth the asking price for the cover alone :)

20. My Echo My Shadow And Me

My Echo My Shadow And Me Forum Resident

Now, could somebody (Be With Records?) please reissue Moloko's "Statues" on vinyl?

modehead101 and tin ears like this.
  21. Hexwood

Hexwood Forum Resident

It's nice to see Parallel Lives included on the vinyl edition. It's a great track.

22. modehead101

It is being re-issued on vinyl this year :)

23. My Echo My Shadow And Me

My Echo My Shadow And Me Forum Resident

Great news. Do you know if the reissue will be on one LP or two LPs? One LP would be historically correct, two LPs would be better in terms of sound quality, because the album had a playing time of close to an hour.

tin ears likes this.
  24. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

whaaaa? just this? what about other moloko albums? source? hello? hello?

25. modehead101

I suggested 'Statues' as a reissue idea to Be With Records after their impressive work on 'Overpowered' and they replied saying they had already tried to secure that album for a vinyl re-issue but couldn't as another label is already planning to release it later this year :) No word on other Moloko albums though.

andres lira and GentleSenator like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.