Roland's favorite CD versions of Deep Purple albums

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rjstauber, Sep 15, 2006.

1. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

Yeah, my guess is the original UK press based on the sound of the UK “Perfect Strangers” 12 inch single. The original US lp cut by Greg Calbi @Sterling is good, but not exactly revelatory. I also have a Japanese lp, but it is disappointing. I suspect it was not cut from a very good source tape which kind of surprises me given DP’s popularity in Japan.

blacksabbathrainbow likes this.
  2. Baphomet

Baphomet The Wanderer

I did see a list of rules when i joined the site i've forgot them Lol.

I have been on UK forums that the mods jump all over you like a ton of bricks for no reason at all, and much bullying and trolling went on. I had enough of them, and left the sites.

3. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

Has anyone recently compared the In Rock AF to the UK EMI CD?

4. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

The AF is brighter and more detailed, the UK EMI is darker with more bass.

5. ragepil

ragepil Forum Resident

Agree with tlake6659. In this case, I prefer the AF because of it's more detalied sound, but I like them both.

6. I am wondering why this great thread is so much shorter than the Sabbath CD threads? Are Deep Purple CD masterings much less controversial than Sabbath ones?

7. Claus

Claus Senior Member

Much less off topic ,-)

dirie and blacksabbathrainbow like this.
  8. Interesting theory! :D

But is it really mainly or only that? I mean, this thread is currently at page 35; Roland's Sabbath CD threads (part 1+2) are already at page 113, plus my own Sabbath thread is at page 49. Thus, Sabbath CD discussion is more than 4 times as much as Purple CD discussion - even though there is significant overlap between the people posting in Purple threads and the people posting in Sabbath threads. Why would they/we talk so much more off-topic about Sabbath than we do about Purple?

I think it must have at least partly to do with differences between both bands' catalogues.

(See what I'm doing here? Trying to add some off-topic discussion to the Purple thread to reduce the difference to the Sabbath threads... :D)

DementedAvenger likes this.
  9. Claus

Claus Senior Member

Don't forget different members posted in the DP and Sabbath threads. US forum members like Sabbath better.

10. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

I think it reflects that the membership here is primarily American, and Deep Purple is much lower profile in the US than other parts of the world. Black Sabbath is bigger here no question.

11. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

Never heard the DVD-A, the Japanese CD, nor the EMI CD, , but ya the WB version rocked. It still sounds fabulous in my iTunes, as the day I first heard the CD, almost 4 decades ago....:righton:

12. Very good point! I didn't think of that! And I wasn't even aware that Sabbath is (so much) bigger than Purple in the US. Altogether Purple seems to be significantly more popular - according to Wikipedia, Sabbath have sold 70+ million records while Purple have sold 100+ million.

13. Claus

Claus Senior Member

Black Sabbath had their biggest success in USA, Deep Purple in Europe, and don't forget Ozzy (solo artist) sold more tickets in USA than Deep Purple.

You make the most $$$ with concerts... see the merchandising sales.

14. I see. Yeah, I am aware Ozzy solo is more popular in the US (to an extent that has always puzzled me). I just wasn't aware of the Sabbath/Purple difference.

15. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

That's what I believe. Fortunately, Purple's catalogue is not as messy and hasn't been as badly treated as Sabbath's. I guess most people are covered with old CDs and some Hoffman masters, in the main. Not as many horror stories with mangled tapes / ultra-jacked treble / pre-emphasis mysteries, wave after wave of reissues, etc.

16. Claus

Claus Senior Member

Black Sabbath got several masterings from their record companies, Deep Purple got only one in Europe, and it is the worst! Loud and de-noised crap starting from In Rock to House of Blue Light.

17. Do I understand you correctly: are you saying there is only one European CD mastering available for each Purple album???

18. Claus

Claus Senior Member

No, I mean EMI did only one complete remastering in Europe. The sets with remixes and bonus tracks.

19. ragepil

ragepil Forum Resident

If you read names such as Peter Mew or Kevin Shirley, there's no need to compare.

20. Claus

Claus Senior Member

Pete Mew did the bad mastering of DP and UFO, Kevin Shirley the horrible remixes.

By the way, the best DP (MK2/3) pressings are the original EMIs, Audio Fidelity and the SACD/DVD-A.

21. Even the best professionals have bad days. I wouldn't assume a mastering is good just because of the person who did it.

22. kevin5brown

kevin5brown Analog or bust.

"Rabbits", that's all I'll say. :D

Holy Diver likes this.
  23. So you like the Creative Sounds better than the 1998 Japan CD?

24. sathvyre

sathvyre formerly known as ABBAmaniac

Yes, by far. The 1998 CD seems to be sourced from the same bad master, used for the 1989 Japan CD. Be careful: There are different Creative Sounds CDs out there and only one of them contains the original outro and sounds stunning.

25. Thank you very much for the info. Surprising find! Which of the following two releases (both 1990 USA, both CSL 6021, but differently colored front cover and disc) is the good one?
    Deep Purple - Shades Of Deep Purple
    Deep Purple - Shades Of Deep Purple
    Also, are there any other Purple albums where a Creative Sounds CD release is your favorite?