Roland's favorite CD versions of Queen albums

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rjstauber, Feb 23, 2008.

1. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

How does one determine if the cd is Sonopress or Parlophone? I don't see anything indicating either on mine. My ADATR says "sonopress" in the matrix. My Queen I reads "B-5884 / CDP 7462042 A".

2. agentalbert

Can you check your matrix again, Roland? I have a Japan for Europe (reddish faced, silver lettering) with CDP 7 46016 2 in the matrix, but also CP38-3117-6 1A1.

If you are certain yours is CP35, I'll post an EAC log and we can see if these are different masterings.

3. George P

George P Notable Member

I posted a great discography on my Queen thread in the Music Room.

http://www.pcpki.com/queen/discography/queenalbums.html

4. agentalbert

Thanks, George. I guess mine is either UK or Netherlands. I don't see from the info listed how to distinguish, but I guess it doesn't matter much. Your site doesn't specify any of the Queen I cd's as sonopress, though.

5. progmog

progmog Senior Member

Just one addition to this, which I did mention to Roland. My preferred version of 'The Game' is the 32XD Japan pressing, which is a different mastering to the target. It's mastered lower and sounds a lot more relaxed to my ears.

6. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

:laugh: It never ends. Just when you think you have every version........

:wave:

.....unless one comes up on EBay tonight then I will change my mind. :angel:

7. PaulT

PaulT Spuzzum

:sigh: , yes, I just ordered a NOTW CP32 to check against my MFSL :help:

8. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

Glad I am not alone Paul. :)

9. George P

George P Notable Member

Where'd you order it from?

10. PaulT

PaulT Spuzzum

eBay - 25USD out of Hong Kong

11. Dr. Merkwürdigli

Dr. Merkwürdigli Active Member

Your B-5884 / CDP 7462042 A is most certainly a sonopress CD. Sonopress is the pressing plant while Parlophone is the label.

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showpost.php?p=3191452&postcount=35

12. agentalbert

13. dbz

dbz Bolinhead.

:agree: Which is again, very significant as it shows that a Parlophone CAN be the unremastered version. Ignore this fact at your peril when searching for these guys!

Adam, I think this has been covered before and was credited as a mistake at the pressing plant. The Works was a black Triangle CP35 and seems to share the mastering, but it's thought that there was never a CP38. I don't even think there were any CP38 in the EMI catalogue!

14. agentalbert

Thanks, Darren. Maybe I should stick a post-it note inside my cd, so when this topic inevitably comes up again in over the years, I don't get confused again and wonder what the hell this CP38 I have is! ;)

15. dbz

dbz Bolinhead.

I say none but there's alway one or two...
    CP38-3009 Hause, Alfred Jalousie
    CP38-3010 Wilson, Nancy What's New

16. rjstauber

rjstauber Senior Member Thread Starter

The Sonopress is in the matrix code usually, otherwise you can find EMI Swindon or EMI Uden in the matrix.

17. rjstauber

Mine clearly says CP35-3117

18. George P

George P Notable Member

I am listening to the MFSL as I type. Great clarity, BIG sound, but a bit bass light IMO. Does the CP32 offer this? If so, how does the WG compare to the CP32? I have that one on order.

19. rjstauber

I think the EMI of ADATR sounds a little fuller in the bottom end, and a little warmer, but it has a little less detail. I think four louder listening, the EMI is probably better, and for lower volume listening, the MFSL might be better.

Not a significant difference between WG EMI and CP32 EMI in my opinion, but there could be a small difference depending on your system and your ears.

I wouldn't worry too much about CP32 vs. EMI WG, don't loose any sleep over it.

20. George P

George P Notable Member

Too late. :D (Just kidding.)

I felt that the EMI's that I have heard so far have a nice bottom end and I would've guessed the generalizations you made above, but since I am still a newbie to original pressings, I'd check with you.

21. Wallace

Wallace Forum Resident

Nice overview Roland!

In the early nineties the first album and Queen II were released as part of the SuperMasters series. Have you heard about those? I don't know what master was used.

The labelnumber for Queen is TOCP 6551.
    The labelnumber for Queen II is TOCP 6675.

I have attached a picture of Queen II.

Attached Files:

22. George P

George P Notable Member

Thanks Roland!

What about the Fame Reissues? Have you heard those? Are they the same mastering as the CDP ones? I ask because I got a CD today, Queen II, that appears identical to the CDP UK version, yet the case has a sticker on it that says: CD FA 3099. However, the catalog number on the spine, back of the case and the CD all have the CDP number and the packaging does not mention the FA 3099 anywhere. I am confused here. :confused:

23. serj

serj Forum Resident

Have anyone compared 2001 Queen remasters of "Innuendo" & "Miracle" with standart, non remastered UK CD's? I'm not sure that this albums were really remastered because they are much quieter than earlier Mew earbleeders..

24. LivingForever

LivingForever Forum Arachibutyrophobic

I don't believe those albums were actually remastered were they? I thought the Remaster Series stopped at Magic?

25. serj

serj Forum Resident

Today i bought the standart UK 'Innuendo' CD & compared it with 2001 Japan remaster. The old UK edition is easily better: it's more dynamic, & it's quieter than 2001 Japan (really remastered) CD. The most unpleasant thing to me with 2001 edition is it's maximizing.