Roland's favorite CD versions of Scorpions albums

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rjstauber, Mar 27, 2010.

1. Andreas

Andreas Senior Member

I still don't know what CDs you think are the same mastering and yet have a huge sound difference. Now you say they are not the same mastering, contradicting your earlier post?

2. ricks

ricks Senior Member

hi my comment referred to the The 1984 Mercury and the AF having a huge difference in sound.

In my original post which was a response to sathvyre's post - which I quoted, I said the 1997 was same as the 1984 BUT there is also a 20 bit mastering for the late 90's. Perhaps the repackaged 1984 was issued prior to 1997. In any case there is no contradiction as I clearly mentioned the 20bit

3. sathvyre

sathvyre formerly known as ABBAmaniac

So there are two completely different masterings with the same design and catalogue number available ??? I am confused...

4. ricks

ricks Senior Member

I have a re-issue of the 1984 that shows 1997 copyright on the artwork. It does not state 20bit nor does it state remastered anywhere on the disc, the catalog number shown on the disc begins with 814 . Perhaps it's a mismatch of discs and art as I obtained it used. I do not have a copy of the 20bit so I have no idea what is printed on that disc.

Do you plan of providing samples from your 20bit so that we can try the same tests you did?
    "Both sound identical [you referred to the AF and 20bit remaster, correct?], only the levels (peaks) are slightly different. If you match the levels, they sound the same !!!"

Last edited: Apr 18, 2019
  5. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

Does anybody prefer the Harvest of LAFS to the AF? I did not compare them, but I played the Harvest the other day and it sounded pretty good.

6. ricks

ricks Senior Member

The Harvest Japan for Europe is excellent. Got mine in 2007 and it showed me how good the material could sound after having been exposed to the vastly inferior Polygram 01 matrix-ed WG Redface. Do I prefer it over the AF lets just say if you like the album and have shot at a Harvest at a fair price it's a "Highly crank-able, focused, highly dynamic" disc - My own quote from years back . I would not part with the Harvest nor the RPCD102 nor the AF.

7. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

Question on Tokyo Tapes. I have the horrible compressed remaster from 2002. I’m looking at either a 1987 German 2cd version for around $25-30 or a single cd 1987 Japanese version JDP1-9037 (popular Super CD series).

8. damnit

damnit Great Cd Mastering Only Please

Get the 2 disc RCA

sathvyre and Jam757 like this.
  9. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

Go German - it sounds good and it's complete. That Japanese edition is severely edited.

blacksabbathrainbow and Jam757 like this.
  10. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

Thanks guys. I’ll get the German version. Anyone on here ever hear the Scorpions Original Album Series 3 disc set from 2010? It scores very well in the DR database and I need a copy of Taken By Force that isn’t absolutely crushed.

11. Freezerburn

Freezerburn Spendin' Monopoly Money

For all the RCA stuff go with the German ND series. Except Fly To The Rainbow, you'll need the US RCA for that. The gold disc for VK is very good, as is the RCA German ND.

skisdlimit likes this.
  12. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

Thanks, mostly just looking for a non-compressed version of Taken By Force and there’s very few old issues available. Think I’m gonna settle for the 3 disc set (3 Original Album Classics). Apparently according to reviews this sounds nice and was not remastered. I’m quite happy with my old CDs of the other scorpions material.

13. Carlox

Carlox Forum Resident

That's the one i have.:)

14. Freezerburn

Those original album classics are tough to figure out. The only one I know for sure that is untouched is the Montrose one. It even includes the AF version of the first album.

15. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

How is the Fly to the Rainbow German Rhino version from 1988? It gets good DR ratings. I bought a newer one and must assume that it’s compressed as hell although there’s no data available.

16. Freezerburn

I think that is an error as to the best of my knowledge Rhino records never pressed a version of FTTR, at least not an old cd pressing.

There is a late 80s version on Rhino of Lonesome Crow their first album.

As to the ND German version, it is way bass heavy and muddy sounding. The US RCA 5057-2-R is the one to have. I think the pressing date is 1988. The old Japan pressings of all the RCA Scorpions albums are waay too bright sounding.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2019
  17. Freezerburn

The Harvest easily betters the AF by large margins. I found the AF to be boosted and somewhat bloated sounding.
    The AF of Blackout was better than LAFS,
    but was still easily bettered by the WG Atomic, although the EMI CDP version of Blackout was still pretty good.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2019
  18. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

Thanks. I actually realized I have an old CD version "Made in Germany" of Fly To The Rainbow and it sounds fantastic to my ears. I'm looking at a replacement for Lonesome Crow. Is the UK version from 1988 decent? Any differences between the US and/or UK in that time period?

19. Freezerburn

Can you list the catalog number of your German Fly To The Rainbow? I still have my German version and would like to compare.

As to Lonesome Crow, it's been licensed a boatload of times to different labels. Originally Scorpions were just another kraughtrock band on the Brain label.
    The version I had I think was from 89 on the Rhino/Brain label. It sounded decent but not great.

Then I upgraded to the Japan version of Lonesome Crow called "The Original Scorpions." Same songs, different order, different title and cover. P33X-20003.
    Totally satisfied, but those are the only 2 older versions I've heard. I've heard the Hip-O remaster, it is just more loudness wars product.

20. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

Thanks, yes, I will look at this when I got home. I bought it more recently but it was second hand so i'm really not sure on the release year. I was surprised at how dynamic it sounded (listening on the Iphone) but I've always felt that was a pretty well recorded album. I did order the 1989 US Rhino CD as it has to be better than the crushed reissue. My vinyl copy of Lonesome Crow on the Brain label is one of the best sounding in my entire collection!

21. Freezerburn

That doesn't surprise me, as the Japan version I have of The Original Scorpions is on the Brain label, and sounds like it is straight off the master. But I can't confirm that.

22. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

Ok, so my Fly To The Rainbow is the original UK version ND70084 but says printed in Germany on the disc. Also says 1983 RCA records on disc and case. The closest Discogs is this one from 1988:

Scorpions - Fly To The Rainbow

23. Freezerburn

Thanks, if it has the pink spine it is the same as mine. Sounds closest to the vinyl but, the US RCA is more balanced and crankable.

Jam757 likes this.
  24. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

Now I want the US version for comparison sake lol! Oh well, I can’t get em all but right now just trying to upgrade the CD collection where needed as I’m sick and tired of compressed garbage remasters of the last 20 years.

Carlox likes this.
  25. Freezerburn

Agreed on the loudness wars product.
    Unfortunately, many have yet to awaken from their slumber. And from what I'm seeing, most won't.
    :tiphat: