Rolling Stones 2019 U.S. Summer Tour

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bowie Fett, Nov 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. honestabe316

honestabe316 Analog Rebel

Its actually quite amazing that the Stones and The who are still so energetic and mostly all there...jeez when i was a kid and youd meet people in thier mid 70's they were usually not in any shape to do what these guys do... i guess the whole fitness surge in the 80's paid off

Matthew Tate likes this.
  2. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

So, rather than ask or research the topic (the information is contained in this very thread), you just decided to wildly speculate?

But you are forgetting the $650.50 fees, yes? :winkgrin:

No, the vast majority in the pit are well behaved, but there are always chancers, I encountered a few at the show I attended in Santa Clara last year. You just need to make friends with your neighbors, and guard your space, especially when everyone stands up to watch the Stones. We also got chatty with the security guards, and when one drunk woman tried to interject herself on the rail, and started to berate the German couple who were sitting next to me, one of the security guards immediately intervened and threatened her with ejection from the venue if she didn't go elsewhere!

I went into detail about the show in this post: Rolling Stones 2019 U.S. Summer Tour

Another good tip: wear something that will make you stand out/be remembered. A loud Hawaiian shirt, or a very brightly colored shirt/jacket, etc. means that your neighbors and security will easily remember you -- especially helpful if you are on your own. Don't wear a classic red-tongue logo on black T-shirt, as 25,000 other people will be doing the same!

Billy_Sunday, jeremylr, Sean and 3 others like this.
  3. mbrownp1

mbrownp1 Forum Resident

Glendale 2019 $65.

Sean, MrGrumpy and Matthew Tate like this.
  4. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

On the pre-sale and initial couple months on TM I never really saw any pairs of Seattle 2019 tickets on Ticketmaster. Keep in mind that the Pacific Northwest hadn't had a Stones show in 13 years. Lucky Dip is recommended if you aren't short(like rear GA near Soundboard). I also found tickets to be very affordable in the days leading up to the show for those that aren't travelling and are OK with risks(get walked to the gate by the seller to ensure they aren't fake)

If that was a while ago, concert technology with relay towers and video screen time delays have improved quite a bit. I hate no complaints at the Seattle show from the rear balcony. Other cities had good reviews about A/V quality, except a very windy Chicago show to start the tour that affected sound waves.

Some of the 2012 Stones dates(NYC area/London) had average ticket price over $600. Some charity stuff have had really pricey balcony seats. This below link has a photo of a 1994 Streisand $600 Vegas Balcony seat. 3 tenors went really crazy with prices. Some Asian pop acts that have played Vancouver had had some really crazy ticket price tiers.
    Barbra Streisand Archives | The Concert 1993-94 MGM Grand

5. ODShowtime

ODShowtime jaded faded

It makes sense that they would hit cities they haven't been to in awhile. I've lived in Tampa for 15 years and they've never been here in that time! Only to Orlando once to that decrepit stadium.

6. PageLesPaul

PageLesPaul To be a rock and not to roll...

They played in what is now Amalie Arena in Tampa on October 19, 2005.

7. MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy Forum Resident

... a Beatles T-shirt will certainly make you memorable.

jeremylr, Sean and Matthew Tate like this.
  8. Nightfly68

Nightfly68 Forum Resident

Again, it was sarcasm but please dont act as if ticket prices overall are not at insane prices. If you're getting a great price that's awesome. Enjoy the show.

9. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Did anyone ever get truly dire Dip tickets at stadiums?

In 2013, I attended 6 Dip shows. At 2, I had excellent lowers. At another 2, I had side stage uppers - not great, but decent. At the other 2, I had uppers all the way back - arguably the worst seats.

But the worst at an arena isn't nearly as bad as the worst at a stadium, so I'm curious to know if they ever stuck any stadium Dippers in the crappiest of the crap!

TonyCzar likes this.
  10. MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy Forum Resident

Nice try. A better sarcastic observation would be, e.g. "Twenty-dollar tickets in the pit, then?"

Last edited: Jan 29, 2020
  11. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

Well, Lucky Dips were $60/pair, and plenty of people did get them, if not me. A nice price, and it got the job done and over with.

Stadium concert seating is such a scam. If you're not first couple of rows front-field, you might as well be anywhere in the house, audio problems aside*. There's little that makes any "50 yard line" lower-level seat in a stadium worth $500 a head. There's little that makes stadium uppers worth $200. (Maybe leg room or a civilized suite).

In Philly at least, plenty of reserved $40-something tickets were very available, but (it appears) only to American Express cardholders participating in the Amex presale. I had finally ditched my card only months before the 2019 tour sale, but if I had to do it all over again, I'd have held on.

I eventually bought a single $64 ticket day of show. My philosophy is "Put me in the pit, or just get me in the door.", which the "Lucky Dip" does. ($64 can get you in the door.)

But if you are in a position to drop $1500 on a pair of GA Pits, then, as the saying goes, "Smoke 'em if you got 'em."

* I won't sit near the rear on the field or "6 o' clock" on the lower bowl in a stadium. Sound is too consistently bad back there for me. YMMV.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  12. Nightfly68

Nice try? Lol. Ok. Smh.

13. ODShowtime

ODShowtime jaded faded

Wow I have no recollection of that. I'd been here for a few months, probably stuck on a business trip. Well, I think that's close enough to prove my point it's been awhile for Tampa!

Matthew Tate likes this.
  14. SoundAdvice

Is 5 years really long enough to soak these cities for another $8 milion each in tickets/merch?

Nashville, Buffalo, Atlanta, Pittsburgh, San Diego are 2015/2020 repeats.

Rolling Stones 2015 North American tour dates
    May 24: Petco Park, San Diego
    May 30: Ohio Stadium, Columbus, Ohio
    June 3: TCF Bank Stadium, Minneapolis, Minnesota
    June 6: AT&T Stadium, Arlington, Texas
    June 9: Bobby Dodd Stadium, Atlanta, Georgia
    June 12: Citrus Bowl Stadium, Orlando, Florida
    June 17: LP Field, Nashville, Tennessee
    June 20: Heinz Field, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    June 23: Marcus Amphitheatre, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
    June 27: Arrowhead Stadium, Kansas City, Missouri
    July 1: Carter-Finley Stadium, Raleigh, North Carolina
    July 4: Indianapolis Motor Speedway, Indianapolis, Indiana
    July 8: Comerica Park, Detroit, Michigan
    July 11: Ralph Wilson Stadium, Buffalo, New York
    July 15: Le Festival d'ete de Quebec, Quebec City

Matthew Tate likes this.
  15. Tom Tschirhart

Tom Tschirhart Forum Resident

The Rolling Stones first started touring a couple of months before the Kennedy assassination in 1963.

Sean, FrixFrixFrix and Matthew Tate like this.
  16. Oatsdad

Sure. It's not like they're coming back a year later - 5 years is a decent amount of time in touring...

Matthew Tate likes this.
  17. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

Why are you participating in a tour thread if you are just going to bitch about the ticket prices? You have two options: accept them and pay up, or don't go! The business model has changed in recent years, and most acts make their money from touring, not recordings/streaming. The Rolling Stones have no trouble selling tickets to their concerts, so the prices are not a concern.

As TonyCzar can tell you, the cheapest tickets in a venue are usually highly coveted -- the Stones always like to have a small set of relatively cheap tickets so that they can include the lowest price in their PR bumf. Consequently, some of the worst seats are snapped up from the get-go, and so the dips are usually left-overs in other price sectors (Pit excluded, which they could easily sell). I have had friends who have been back row in the upper deck of a stadium, either far from the stage or 90 degrees to it (very limited view).

Matthew Tate likes this.
  18. SoundAdvice

One or two 2013 US arena shows were overbook sand had unsold nosebleeds repacked as lucky dips. LA3 in particular. Possibly 10% of that 3rd show was dipped.

Columbus/Pittsburgh in 2015 and Cleveland/Pittsburgh rumored for 2020 are all 2 hours drive time apart. $30mil in tickets/merch over those 4 shows.

Edmonton Alberta did 120,000 tickets in 1994. Regina Saskatchewan did 80,000 tickets in 2006. Moncton Atlantic Canada did 80,000 in 2005.

Unless Jagger watches too much CNN and has plans for Ohio/Pittsburgh. He did keep quiet at all 2019 gigs except for one off hand remark in DC.
    CDN

footlooseman likes this.
  19. Oatsdad

Back in 2013, I thought I'd get consistently good Dip tickets because of what you say. They don't have a lot of "cheap" tickets and fans who don't want to spend big $$$ snap up those seats, whereas expensive good but not great tickets get left in the system.

I was wrong in 2013 - as noted, 4 of my 6 Dip shows were upper level, and 2 of those were crappy upper level!

Ah well - I'll always have fond memories of the very good lowers in Boston! :D

And the pit I got for Philly last summer! :pineapple:

footlooseman and Matthew Tate like this.
  20. Nightfly68

It's called a forum where people discuss things. I am also well aware of how groups make their money. And thanks for clarifying what my options are or I wouldn't have a clue.

See, that is sarcasm again.

21. Leviathan

Leviathan Forum Resident

How do you get the “Lucky Dip” tickets? Do you just have to be first in line when they go on sale?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  22. MRamble

MRamble Forum Resident

The links to buy those tickets are available only on rs.com. They won't be an option in Ticketmaster during general sale. Keep an eye out on the Stones social media for announcements on when they will drop them.

Paul R, Leviathan, TonyCzar and 2 others like this.
  23. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

Of course, we now live in the age of Flex-pricing, so lots of tickets that would have just sat there get flexed down, and people (or scalpers) seem to snap them up. There's also those who are prepared to pay full-face for tickets up close, but aren't prepared to pay for the VIP package, so they wait until sold packages revert to standard tickets (ditto for unsold Platinums).

With regard to Lucky Dips, the best show was the Summerfest in Milwaukee in 2015. The LDs were a fraction of the cost of the lawn tickets (worst you could get), so anything better than that was a bonus!

Oatsdad and Matthew Tate like this.
  24. Oatsdad

Of last summers shows, NJ1 was the only concert I searched for tickets after the original onsale. I got Dip for NJ2 and Philly, and I splurged on a full price pit for DC.

Dunno if lowers ever "flexed" for NJ1, but it seemed to sell really well, so I didn't see much room for price drops.

I only hunted for pit or excellent floor tickets, so I didn't notice if other prices changed. Pit and floor didn't! :)

footlooseman and Matthew Tate like this.
  25. jlf

jlf Forum Resident

where did you end up with the lucky dip?

Matthew Tate likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.