Rolling Stones 2019 U.S. Summer Tour

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bowie Fett, Nov 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy Forum Resident

TonyCzar likes this.
  2. spinyn

spinyn Senior Member

Kick ass show in the Super Dome! Ronnie Wood was outstanding, Keith hit some chords that cut like a knife...really LOUD in a good way, Charlie thumped like a boss all night, Darryl got his solo in "Miss You," and Chuck Leavell was outstanding underpinning the band with the things Ian Stewart and Nicky Hopkins played that were so important in many songs. I particularly loved "Tumbling Dice" and "Can't Always Get What You Want," both fully realized and beautifully played.

That was a master class in how it is done. Amazing.

3. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

You got a couple that aren't usually played though.

aphexj and The MEZ like this.
  4. Chris Bernhardt

Chris Bernhardt Forum Resident

I remarked to my buddy on how bad the merch was. The most uninteresting designs I've seen for t-shirts ( that started at $45).

Crimson Witch and twicks like this.
  5. sway61

sway61 Forum Resident

I can't to see them Friday in Jacksonville!

scoutbb likes this.
  6. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

I'm really turned off by the shirts that say "Stones" but don't say "Rolling".

7. MickAvory

MickAvory Forum Resident

Guy at the outside merch truck said the management refused to sell the poster because of the date change. I guess they tossed them. I'm going to try to get one online and hope they do reprints with the right date.

Matthew Tate and Dreaddazzman like this.
  8. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

Your wish:

[​IMG]

Matthew Tate and Dreaddazzman like this.
  9. Dreaddazzman

Dreaddazzman Forum Resident

Oh, interesting. I must have seen it before they postponed. Looks like they have one up for pre-order on their site, presumably with the corrected date.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  10. MickAvory

MickAvory Forum Resident

This image was on a shirt. People in front of me bought it.. noticed it didn't have a specific date like the poster.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  11. coniferouspine

coniferouspine Forum Resident

I took a few quick panoramic shots of the crowd last night, during the singalong for "You Can't Always Get What You Want." Any fears that the Dome would be "half empty" or "only 10,000 people" last night, because the storm, or because New Orleans "isn't a Stones town," were evidently waaaaay off base. I saw maybe one or two pockets in the upper deck that had holes in them, near the obstructed spots caused by lighting rigs, but by the time the Stones came on at 9:00, the Superdome was pretty well packed last night. Not 110% sold out, but very full.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The show was really good. I'd say 8.5 /10 musically, for the guy looking for numbers. My friend got Lucky Dips and scored fantastic seats on the Ron Wood side by the outer ramp. "Midnight Rambler" was superb. If you have a chance to see them, GO -- it was a phenomenal show. They are living legends and this is very likely their swansong.

They didn't have any posters and the specialized "local" merch sold out very quickly, because I think they scrapped the shirts with the wrong date and printed a smaller batch of new ones with the rescheduled date, over the last three days, because all the shirts I saw had the right date on them. Which is actually pretty amazing.

12. MickAvory

MickAvory Forum Resident

Those bead shirts did not have a date. I asked the guy in front of me who had one on and specifically looked at it for a date. Maybe they had other dated shirts. I didn't really look at the merch once they told me no posters. I didnt need a shirt this time.

13. RockWizard

RockWizard Forum Resident

Turns out.....I made a good decision to stay in the seat I purchased the morning of show. YES....I was in the Terrace, in the 2nd Row. That seat.....I was on the side....stage left(my right) looking directly at the extended stage. My friend and his buddies went to the box office that afternoon and wound up getting 15th row floor for $100! I entertained that thought, but unlike the "Smoothie King Arena"(next door) , with the Dome, I would have had to go on ground level at Gate A, "sell" my ticket, then go UPSTAIRS OUTSIDE to Gate G and re-purchase ANOTHER ticket. And with my mobility issues, that meant walking almost halfway around the Dome! With the ticket I had.....the "Security" looked at my crazy when I mentioned an "upgrade". They gave two people more handicapped than me a hassle and they didn't even have tickets yet. SAD.

This was my first Dome show in a LONG time. NIGHTMARE getting out of there once I got to my car. GRIDLOCK everywhere. Never had those problems with the venue next door. I know the Dome is larger but.......... :-(

TonyCzar likes this.
  14. RockWizard

LOL...maybe so, but for Smoothie King to upgrade us to a "handicapped...or very "generous" seat so close was a nice touch. That Motley show.....never saw so my pyro in my life. My ex's brother in law works in the movie industry doing special effects. I remember him telling us the wavers and documents they had to sign so that show could happen.

15. RockWizard

This was my 4th time seeing them.....all in the Superdome(1981,89,94,2019). Blown away by the performance. Jagger is a medical marvel, surely not a man of 75! No, he didn't "run" the stage like he did, but he covered every inch of that stage all night long in a VERY fast paced walk/strut. The band was tight and looked like they had a ball. One thing that scared me was how Keith Richards looked.....puffy face, balding. Are the effects of the past catching up with him? My friend is going next week to Houston. Depending on things, I might be joining him.

mbrownp1, willwin, Davido and 6 others like this.
  16. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

Sounds like some Lucky Dippers got lucky and filled up the floor, as did random box-office gamblers. Good for them. The StubHub bargains probaby disappeared the moment they postponed officially. Guns n Roses dropped $20 tickets a day before the show, but that was Live Nation. AEG has an acknowledged distaste for "devaluing" inventory, but someone paying $100 for a floor ticket beats emptying 2 more LD spots (money already spent) to do it.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2019
  17. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

I'm finding KR and RW AND MJ all men to watch this year. I like Keith's zeitgeist this time out.

Matthew Tate and TeddyB like this.
  18. MickAvory

MickAvory Forum Resident

Sorry to hear of gridlock. I always park in that first garage right off the interstate ramp.. Superdome Claiborne exit..i think garage 5.. i got lucky and was about 2 spaces from a down ramp.. down one ramp.. down the next.. out in 5 mins and on the interstate... and i didnt leave until the lights came up...

MrGrumpy and TonyCzar like this.
  19. MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy Forum Resident

Err, no. He's 75. It's called "effects of age." My mother is the same age as Mick and Keith, barely ambulatory. Probably has more hair than Keith, who in turn probably has more hair than most people on this thread.

20. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

I am balding, and I have not done 10% of what Keith Richards has done. I feel cheated.

21. Stephen J

Stephen J Forum Resident

I didn't complain. The band played for two hours, amazing when the four of them are well into their 70s, and many of the songs featured extended jamming. I couldn't have been happier, really.

22. spinyn

spinyn Senior Member

Hell, I parked on the street 2 blocks away, paid $2.00 to cover the meter til 7:00 and was out of there as soon as I got to the car.

That's one thing I like about New Orleans. You can get to big deal events without that necessarily having to deal with what I encountered in the Bay Area. I ushered several Stones shows in the Oakland Coliseum in the 90's (as well as going to a lot of Dead and Springsteen shows in the Arena) and would not park in the parking lot because it was a cluster **** getting out of there.

Once, after a Stones show my wife and I actually paid to attend, we went out to where I had parked the car and it was sitting on its rims. Even on a lit street, the crooks had managed to jack it up and steal all 4 wheels. (And, oddly enough, it was the Voodoo Lounge tour, not Steel Wheels...). So there was that...

Last edited: Jul 17, 2019
  23. MickAvory

MickAvory Forum Resident

Price wise... you did better than me. Its usually $20 in the Dome.

We parked on the street a few weeks ago in Atlanta for ELO. $2.50 in the meter and a few blocks walk. That area around their dome, arena & Olympic Park is a major bottleneck of one way streets & underground parking garages.

spinyn likes this.
  24. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

Jacksonville vote songs:

Monkey Man
    Emotional Rescue
    Heartbreaker (Doo...)
    Get Off Of My Cloud

Four good options, but Monkey Man is the clear winner.

Whoever is managing the Stones' website needs to learn the proper song titles!

The Rolling Stones | Official Website

The MEZ, sway61 and Matthew Tate like this.
  25. MickAvory

MickAvory Forum Resident

Those are good ones. I've gotten Monkey Man and Get Off Of My Cloud before. But I heard Heartbreaker on the radio this morning and realized I never got that one. Emotional Rescue would be cool because its semi-obscure from a past few years live performance standpoint but its nowhere near my favorite Stones song.

The MEZ and Matthew Tate like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.