Rolling Stones 2020 North America Tour postponed..

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MRamble, Feb 3, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Are they doing the $30,000 charity meet and greets in 2020?

2. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

"Hey!! Diane Arbus!"

Was at a reserved seat show for Rufus Wainwright, so very much a sitdown affair, 2nd row behind pit. My concert companion (not a huge fan) didn't make a fuss about the guy seated in front of him doing just what the video shows (two hands, one device, one a--hole).

Were we further back, I suppose it could all be resolved with a head tilt. I figured I'd give it a few songs then say something - let him get it out of his system - but the folks behind US were finally sick of it, and got to an usher first. I'm guessing he intended to capture the whole show, from the argument he put up with the house.

3. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

LOL.

Anybody still maintaining their $100/year fanclub memberships since 2005? 2002?

4. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

You still seem to be having a hard time with the concept of personal preference.

Is VL better than all of those albums, no, as Beggars and Ya-Ya's are among their very best, but, I would rather listen to VL than most Stones albums, and lest you think I am just writing that to be 'contrarian', here is something I wrote years ago here about VL:

The only Rolling Stones album I have is "Voodoo Lounge" and I like it. What next?

Anyone who has gone through the Voodoo Brew/Stew/Residue discs knows how strong the material was that the Stones developed for that disc. IMO, the finished article is diminished by over production and the inclusion of certain songs in preference to better (IMO) ones that were not included.

5. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

Depends on what day of the week it is and my mood on what my favorite Stones album is. Today it's mono Aftermath ( UK ) then later this evening it wine and the Bridges to Buenos Aires CDs. Love to go to the San Diego concert, saw them there during the Bridges to Babylon tour.

6. Nomadicarchivist

Nomadicarchivist Forum Resident

You still seem to be having a hard time understanding the point of my original post.

Either the Stones are BETTER with Ronnie, Keith AND Mick Taylor in the band at the same time or they are not..

Its that simple.. And VERY easy to get right

7. MPLRecords

MPLRecords Owner of eleven copies of Tug of War

It can't be gotten "right"; it's subjective.

ARK, davers, MrGrumpy and 1 other person like this.
  8. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

This x100!

9. ssmith3046

Sure it is. How about no Keith and Mick Taylor and Ron ? :)

superstar19 likes this.
  10. malco49

malco49 Forum Resident

the crowd is aged and pay big bucks to see an oldies act. this is a rock show in name only. think a movie or a broadway show.

twicks and Nomadicarchivist like this.
  11. malco49

malco49 Forum Resident

at this point probably have to go to some outlying cities to get people to show. don't think the nyc's , chicago's and LA's will sell out.

12. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

They've been wary of wearing out their welcome in certain US markets since the 2013-2015 cycle. Right now, 2019-2020 looks roughly the same geographically.

13. nickde

nickde Forum Resident

I think they would still be able to sell out one by you and one more in NYC.

ssmith3046 likes this.
  14. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

What basis do you have for that? The only reason would be that they played stadium shows in those cities 6-7 months ago.

It was very hard to get good seats for the Rose Bowl or either of the shows at MetLife last year. I finally managed to get MetLife#2 for $650, which was the cheapest they went. Rose Bowl was really tough at all prices and I ended up passing. The two Chicago shows were easier after the rescheduling, and I was patient so I got a pit ticket for opening night for $700. But all of those shows were packed.

Here’s my video from June 21 in Chicago, the first show after Mick’s heart surgery. An astonishing performance.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2020
  15. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

They had troubles coming back too soon, too many times, to the same markets, on last leg of "Bigger Bang". (IIRC, upper deck at Soldier Field was tarped, and they sold a whole lower section at rear of the Foxboro, MA stadium for $20. Weather didn't help.)

A solution seems to have presented itself: put 5 or six years between dates in a market if they can. Like 2015, it is once again time for Detroit, Buffalo, Pittsburgh, etc. and not Chicago, Philly, DC....

16. Nomadicarchivist

Nomadicarchivist Forum Resident

Anybody still maintaining their $100/year fanclub memberships since 2005? 2002?[/QUOTE]

Wonder what that got them?

17. ssmith3046

Good stuff. Reminds why going to a Stones concert is so much more than a concert, it's an EVENT!

18. nickde

nickde Forum Resident

The 2005 show at Giants Stadium was a sell out.
    The 2006 show at Giants Stadium was a sell out but with the back half of the upper deck tarped.
    The 2018 2nd show at MetLife had no scalpers outside.
    Out of 7 shows Stones shows I been to the Meadowlands, I never saw that happen before. Police presence was sparce. There were no tickets to be had except the expensive ones.

Sean likes this.
  19. malco49

malco49 Forum Resident

and also possible an outlier as the band had not played for a while and were geared up. etc. maybe it's just be but i dont' dig 76 year old's running around the gym in tights not to mention at concerts. but hey if that floats you boat knock yourself out i can think of better ways to spend $1000 or whatever that ticket cost.

20. Avenging Robot

Avenging Robot Senior Member

So, with the absence of a Toronto show combined with the fact that the El Mocambo is reopening this spring has a lot of people dreaming in technicolour. Not gonna happen folks.

21. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

Codes to access presales at Ticketmaster.com

I got cheap seats for Baltimore and Atlantic City in 2005/2006, and in 2002, membership had the privilege of getting many many people into the theater/club shows in the US and Europe. It got me into the Tower in 2002.

Handing money over to Sam Goody got me a pair of $50 tickets to MSG in 2002.

Signing up for Sprint long distance service to my home phone land line got me 2nd-row tickets for Columbus, OH in 1997 and a pair of $150s for MSG in 1998.

(Can it be that it was all so simple then?)

Last edited: Feb 8, 2020
    Nomadicarchivist and Sean like this.
  22. Heart of Gold

Heart of Gold Forum Resident

Until the End of World (1991,Wim Wenders), set in a fictional world in 1999, The Rolling Stones were still playing. 20 years later and more, they're still playing. Rock'n Roll is a game for oldsters like Jazz or Blues. By the way, I love it.

23. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

How long has it been closed?

24. Meyer

Meyer Heavy Metal Parking Lot Resident

Please do! That would be an honor.

25. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

But, they seem to be getting more popular. In 2007, parts of the upper section at Stade de France were tarped. In 2014, all 77,000 seats were sold in two days. In 2017, they played three shows at 40,000 seat La Defense Stadium.

Malco, did I say something rude or unpleasant? If so, it was unintentional. Please accept my apologies. That said, I’m not sure it’s right to make ageist comments. There are a lot of older people on this Forum, and we will all be older one day; please be considerate.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2020
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.