Rolling Stone's 500 Greatest songs ever...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bartels76, Nov 27, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame Thread Starter

2. Pug

Pug The Prodigal Snob Returns!

We discussed the Top 5 before. I don't recall if the whole chart was posted.

3. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

How seriously can you take a list like this? The Numero Uno title has Rolling Stone in it, and the #2 title is by the Rolling Stones.....sheesh, can it get any more lame or obvious?

Besides, I'd rather listen to "Sea Cruise" than either of those, given a choice....

:ed:

4. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

This got a passing mention in a Nirvana Box set thread (Teen Spirit listed ahead of Ray Charles What'd I Say).

5. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

As usual, a lot of choices that make me shake my head, at least in terms of how high some of them are compared to more deserving ones. Probably the most stupid part of those lists are that they usually only lean towards rock and roll artists and crossover artists and always only cover the rock era. Where the heck is "Rock Around The Clock" by Bill Haley and his Comets? That was one of the most important songs of the rock era. It didn't even make the top 100 for this list. Ah there it is, #158 :rolleyes: . The Beatles just edged out Nirvana - and with Hey Jude? Nirvana edges out Ray? :thumbsdn:

6. JorgeGvb

JorgeGvb Senior Member

7. bartels76

I'm going to get flamed for this but I don't think Hey Jude even belongs in the Top 500. Tomorrow Never Knows and a ton of other Beatles songs are better than that song.

8. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

I will never believe that "Smells Like Teen Spirit" is a "better" song than "Let It Be"....

Evan

9. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

Same here..."Revolution" maybe....but yeah, some of the choices are bizarre and arbitrary, went on popularity I think, far more than artistic merit, however subjective that is.

"Teen Spirit" was certainly powerful for its time, and some of Nirvana's work is undeniably impressive, but most of us can't relate to it, really, came along too early I guess....

:ed:

10. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

I'm surprised Dr. Hook's Cover of the Rolling Stone didn't place.

11. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

When you're covering 50 years of songs it doesn't make sense (50 years = all time :confused: ). If it was "Top 500 Influential Musical Acts" then maybe they should be in the top 30, I don't know...

Not one single song from Frank Sinatra, even though he charted high on the pop charts many many times, yet the "Dixie Cups" made the list.

12. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

For me the list is nothing but just one person's opinion.

13. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

14. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

No two people would EVER have the same "Top 500" songs the same, let alone in the same order. There is a better chance of hitting the PowerBall!

That's why the only thing these lists do is sell magazines. Notice that "All 500 tunes can be downloaded from RollingStone?" I wonder if any songs were left off because they could not be made available for download?

15. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

Geeze, I wouldn't be surprised at all. Good observation.

16. ManFromCouv

ManFromCouv Employee #3541

One of the oddities I found is that Big Star have two songs on the list, yet their more famous and talented contemporary, Badfinger, scores a zilch? :screwy: And who the heck is Grandmaster Flash?

17. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

Yikes! I hadn't even noticed the absence of Badfinger yet. Grandmaster Flash was a rapper dude from the early 80s who helped start the long rap run the music industry has had, for better or worse, depending on your musical preferences.

What the heck is this one?
    "#237 - Planet Rock - Afrika Bambaataa - 1982"

18. bartels76

There is a bunch of people that voted. Not 1 person. I think list is pretty good for the most part.

Badfinger doesn't have any memorable songs that stand the test of time anyways so I don't think they deserve a song on the list - neither does Big Star.

19. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

That's a GREAT record!

...You gotta rockit
    Dont' stop...

20. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

"No Matter What" should be on there at least, IMHO.

21. GregY

GregY New Member

Both Afrika Bambaataa & The Soul Sonic Force's Planet Rock and Grandmaster Flash's The Message are excellent, not to mention hugely influential, rap songs.

22. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

I agree. :thumbsup:

23. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

Just listened to the audio sample. I'm afraid I don't hold the same opinion, sorry. :shake: In fairness though, perhaps if I heard the whole track and if I actually liked more than about 3 rap tracks...then maybe I'd agree. :D

24. ManFromCouv

ManFromCouv Employee #3541

So.....He's to blame! :realmad:

25. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

No problem.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.