Rolling Stones Beggars Banquet deluxe

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Daniel Falaschi, Sep 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. marcfeld69

marcfeld69 Forum Resident

I haven’t read the whole thread but I thought there would be more excitement about being able to buy a new mono of SFTD (which is otherwise crazy-expensive on the LP) and also by a new mastering by Ludwig (the Exile debacle notwithstanding).

Easy-E likes this.
  2. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

No regrets buying the Japanese SACD release to go along with the different vinyl pressings that I own.

formu_la, marcfeld69 and mick_sh like this.
  3. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Ludwig did the mastering on the 2002 SACDs, and I think he’s done everything since. This isn’t unique in that regard.

And while the mastering is an improvement in some regards, it’s a step back in others.

4. marcfeld69

How does the SACD compare to the previous SACDs – if you have them. I have the 2011 SACD. I wonder how it could be possibly better (packaging and the mono SFTD apart)...

5. GregM

GregM The expanding man

I'm glad the 95 found a nice new home. Enjoy! Now if anyone could tell me how to update my gear...can't figure out how to do it in the profile section.

The Beave likes this.
  6. marcfeld69

I see. So Ludwig redid it, and presumably the 2011?

7. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

mbrownp1 and marcfeld69 like this.
  8. GregM

GregM The expanding man

The 2011 was the SHM-SACD, sourced from the 2002 transfer if I'm not mistaken.

marcb and marcfeld69 like this.
  9. marcfeld69

10. marcfeld69

Gotcha. Tx.

ssmith3046 likes this.
  11. Espen R

Espen R Senior Member

I have not heard the 2018 SACD. But the 2002 SACD is one of my best sounding SACDs. Well...the SHM-SACD even a bit better, despite the same DSD 2,8Mhz data was used.

The 2002 DSD transfer is sooo good, it sounds damn right to me. It rocks. The tape transfer to digital was not done by Mr Ludwig in 2002, he only did the mastering (preparing the raw DSD data for SACD release)

12. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

It also has significant tape issues in a few places.

KinkySmallFace1991 and Jack like this.
  13. Espen R

Espen R Senior Member

Yes, but that’s an issue with old analog tapes. I rather have a few tape drop outs and a «raw» and direct tape transfer than digital work station and splicing and fixing from safety copies :)

14. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Why would you want that, if the safety copies in good condition sound better than the damaged masters?

Besides, the ABKCO SACDs are anything but “direct tape transfers”.

KinkySmallFace1991 likes this.
  15. Espen R

Espen R Senior Member

I don’t think there exists any good safety masters in this case. If so, let it be done. I have nothing against 1:1 dub tapes if they are good.

Yes, I know they are not direct transfers, but the magic room sure did a good job all in all :)

Six Bachelors likes this.
  16. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

As noted above, there are some issues on the 2002 not on the 2018 (and vice versa), so either additional tapes exist or the quality of playback has varied.

Beggars is one of the best of the series, beyond the tape problems. There are questionable decisions on some of the other releases, however.

17. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it!

You took very good care of it Greg.
    Listening to the Beatles White album 50th right now......
    Sounds devine!
    Beave

18. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it!

Go to your profile Greg then hit the first tab 'Personal information ', it's under that.
    Beave

19. Bob C.

Bob C. Forum Resident

I have listened to the 50th Anniversary and 2002 SACDs and there are distinct differences. On Sympathy (stereo) the instruments, especially congas, are more upfront, with more of a "wow" effect than the 2002. It does sound great but it can distract from the rest of the song. The mono version is excellent. I think Hopkin's piano on SFTD sounds best on the mono mix, especially during the second instrumental break.

Overall, however, the 2002 SACD is my favorite version of Beggar's. It highlights the instruments without overwhelming the songs. The one exception is Street Fighting Man, where I prefer the 2018 version. But while I prefer the 2002, the 2018 is quite good, as most ABKCO's releases are.

20. Mosthaf

Mosthaf Forum Resident

I would have thought because it is new and out there. Posts like the one by Bob C. (above) are an exception in. Other BB remasters have been discussed at length. This threat seems, at large, to be about what the anniversary set does not include and the packaging.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
    marcfeld69 likes this.
  21. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

I read the Ludwig quote as meaning that this must be good/better because it was mastered by Ludwig. Which, as noted, has been the case since 2002, and thus is not unique.

I pointed out specific transfer/mastering differences, which have mostly been ignored.

marcfeld69, btltez and Mosthaf like this.
  22. btltez

btltez Forum Resident

I read every word of yours and breathe it all in then think about it then look it up then read it again LOL. I appreciate your wealth of information man.

Mosthaf likes this.
  23. Mosthaf

Mosthaf Forum Resident

Nothing Luke can do that can't be done:help:, but all in all this thread hasn't been about the music. I am happy to listen to the album as it was meant to be (or as close as we will get it at this moment in time), with a slight delay of 50 years. If anyone needs to be seduced to invest into a SACD player, the Japanese release hybrid release should do the job. There are also the 2002 hybrids, many of the RSR albums (Sticky Fingers up to Dirty Work)....I am aware I keep repeating myself.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
    Matthew Tate likes this.
  24. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

I just wish they got it closer to that ideal. Without the limiting and without the tape issues that weren’t there before. Fix one thing, break another...

marcfeld69 and Mosthaf like this.
  25. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

What is the current best price for the vinyl set with stereo lp, mono 12", flexi and Obi?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.