Rolling Stones Beggars Banquet UK produced London label?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dgsinner, Feb 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dgsinner

dgsinner New Member Thread Starter

Hi,

Maybe some of you Stones experts can help me i.d./date this copy of "Beggars Banquet" I just picked up (in great condition for about US$18!).

It's on heavy-ish vinyl (pre-oil crisis I'm certain).

The label is dark blue with silver lettering.
    It has a boxed London/ffrr label with the ear. Below the box, it reads "Full Frequency Range Recording."
    Above the box, it reads "Trademarks Reg. U.S. Pt. Oft."
    At the top, it reads "Made in England by the Decca Record Co. Ltd."

To the right of the spindle hole, the number is "PS.539". Above that, misprinted upside down,
    it reads "ZAL.8476", in brackets on side 1, and "ZAL.8477", again upside down, on Side 2.

The matrix number reads "XZAL-8476-2K" on Side 1, and "XZAL-8477-3K" on Side 2.

There is no title for the lp on the label, only "THE ROLLING STONES" at the bottom, and "Written by Mick Jagger & Keith Richard" below that (no mention of the original author of Prodigal Son).

The cover is a laminated gate-fold and it reads "Sleeve printed by Garrod and Lofthouse International Limited" and again it reads "Written by Mick Jagger and Keith Richard" (no mention of Prodigal Son). There is a boxed London logo on the back lower cover, as well as "All selections Mirage Music Ltd".

I can't figure this one out--when was it produced? It really looks like a late 60s or very early 70s press, but I really don't know. Could it be a UK export for the US? Or what? I mean, I thought all the pre-Sticky Fingers UK pressed lps were Deccas.

Thanks for any help on this.

Dale

2. poweragemk

poweragemk Old Member

Sounds like my London US labels, actually.

3. dgsinner

Yeah, I guess it does, except for the "Made in England by the Decca Record Co. Ltd." notation on the label, which makes me wonder if it was some kind of export edition. But if it was made for export, why would it have an identical tracklist, look, etc. to the US-relased version? The Beatles UK Parlophone export lps were UK produced versions of the US albums. Why produce a US label in the UK? I just don't get it... Dale

4. peter

peter Senior Member

What you have my friend, is the rare UK-made for export to Japan only original first pressing of Beggar's. It originally, in Japan, came with a flexi-disc interview with Jagger discussing the new album. Quite rare, needless to say, and no, sadly, I don't have one.

5. dgsinner

Ah, so-ka! Arigato, Peter-san.

I suspected it was some kind of export. Wish it had the flexi, but you can't win them all. Still, I think I made out well on the price/condition. Guess the seller didn't recognize it. He told me "not original", but it sure has the look of an early press to me. I just did an online search and saw another Japanese seller has an EX copy of the same lp for Y8,800 (about $75).

Do you happen to know where I might find some documentation on this lp (online if possible)?

Thanks, Dale

6. peter

peter Senior Member

I wish I did, I have been looking for a JPN. Stones discogrpahy on line, but no luck. There is an ebay seller named stone relics, or stonerelics or stones relics or stonesrelics who has the complete item. E-mail him and ask away. Tell him Peter from SF referred you. Super cool guy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.