Rolling Stones - Brussels Affair 1973 - What's the story ?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dhreview16, May 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BlueGangsta

BlueGangsta Forum Resident

The release of this should have included both concerts.

The bootleg is the better recording. Not a big fan of the Quad mix, but some fans have done some amazing things with it.

Jimmy B. likes this.
  2. Jgirar01

Jgirar01 Forum Resident

3. hardknox

hardknox Forum Resident

4. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

The wonders of cocaine! It was the seventies, after all...My only beef with the Brussels show is that Mick Taylor overplays just a tad too much in spots...not sure if that was a byproduct of all the blow or what...

mbrownp1, bonus, TeddyB and 3 others like this.
  5. bbanderic

bbanderic Forum Resident

Last edited: May 29, 2015
    Jimmy B. likes this.
  6. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Blasphemy! Most Stones fans hold the show in high regard because Taylor is finally given a chance to shine.:uhhuh:

7. Dondy

Dondy Forumaniac

Humm, maybe somebody here can help me:
    I have the old early 90's BRUSSELS AFFAIN boot CD on Chamealeon Records:
    http://www.geetarz.org/reviews/stones/brussels_affair.htm

Is runs c. 72 min. only. Is it possible it runs fast? The last few numbers were played at breakneck speed anyway...
    Any help is much appreciated!

8. Helmut

Helmut Well-Known Member

You are right, the recordings play slightly faster than the ones before, but it's not so much that it really alters the performance. The band plays quite fast anyway.

9. Dondy

Dondy Forumaniac

Thanks. Any idea anyone as to how much exactly it plays fast? I'd like to correct that.

10. Helmut

Helmut Well-Known Member

In a scale of semitones it's "- 0,3" semitones, then you can play along with a tuned guitar

11. Dondy

Dondy Forumaniac

Thanks but I'm no musician. I'd like to correct the pitch with Audacity so I'd need to know the difference in percentage... Oh well, nerdland, I know. :)

12. Helmut

Helmut Well-Known Member

I'm not using Audacity, my system uses the scale of semitones, so I can't help further.

13. Dondy

Dondy Forumaniac

TNX anyway.

14. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident Thread Starter

As the OP, many thanks for the comments so far.

It is clear that the concert will become officially available soon as a double CD as part of the deluxe Japanese DVD/CD Marquee package. Price around $ 80 ?

Others have recommended bootleg vinyl or CDs, such as the Nasty Music Vinyl, or the King Biscuit Flower broadcast.

Many posters put the Brussels concert on a par with or better than Ya Ya's.

There are some copies of the $ 1500 box apparently available for around $ 500, autographed.

Not clear if the google $ 9 download has now gone, but there is evidence that other Stones downloads have now appeared officially in the From The Vault series.

There is still demand for other shows e.g. Those with Stevie Wonder opening.

All in all, what with the Japanese issue upcoming, and the evidence of downloads transferring to From The Vaults, I guess there is some hope it will become officially available in other markets like the US and Europe In the not too distant future.

I just skimmed the responses, so apologies for any errors or material omissions, but just wanted to try to capture something of the thoughts so far. Regards.

15. OnTheRoad

OnTheRoad Not of this world

Here's one of the best compilations from that '72 tour of which includes some Ft. Worth, Philadelphia and either NYC or Boston. I forget.

It sounds like it's a few generations down from the masters...but still pretty good, till a legit release comes around.

[​IMG]

DrBeatle and John Fell like this.
  16. One_L

One_L Forum Resident

I picked it up about five months ago from Amazon. It's legit and the same as being offered on stones sight. If you have a spare $550, go for it.

Jgirar01 likes this.
  17. Greenblues

Greenblues Forum Resident

But it's not the unreleased Decca live album. as the cover suggests. More like a mix of tracks from the Philadelphia Special I & II bootlegs.

Last edited: May 29, 2015
  18. OnTheRoad

OnTheRoad Not of this world

Yeah, a bit of a misnomer...but it also has Ft. Worth and as I said, either NYC or Boston as well, besides Philly. Decent till the real thing comes out.

19. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Also 72 minutes on the "Definitive Edition" Rattlesnake collection.

20. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

BTW as necessary as the Brussels is Sydney '73. Talk about kicking out the jams...

Dave Hoos and John Fell like this.
  21. danielbravo

danielbravo Senior Member

It is a bloody great record of very good quality and also is an "excellent" performance. The Japanese superdeluxe edition of Stiky Fingers will contain this concert on 2 CDs as bomus material (quite expensive by the way; as in the occasion which was initially published by the Rolling Stones on the infamous and superexpensive box)

I think there are signs that point to an official launch on 2 CDs.

22. YouKnowEyeKnow

YouKnowEyeKnow Forum Resident

Brussels Affair 73'?? Whats the story??? Aww sheesh, I thought I would never be asked about this again.. It all started with this exotic looking woman behind a jewelery counter, and then later, the missing pair of slacks that I obviously was wearing when I came in.. Do I have to go on?.. Oh.... wait! different Brussels affair, dear God! am I embarrassed! Sorry! carry on...:doh:

Last edited: May 30, 2015
    Rob Hughes likes this.
  23. Dondy

Dondy Forumaniac

OK, thanks. Star Star is missing which probably makes it so short.

24. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I would have written "Most posters put the Brussels concert on a par with or better than Ya Ya's."

25. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Star Star is on mine. 14 tracks running time 71.19.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.