Rolling Stones - Goats Head Soup Deluxe Edition

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mbrownp1, Feb 6, 2020.

1. Dean R

Dean R Forum Resident

I thought that in the end that was the least satisfying of the three.
    Whilst it was interesting to hear the Clapton slide version of Brown Sugar, it wasn't ultimately that interesting, and inferior to the hit.
    And no-one needed Wild Horses remixed to take out the non acoustic instruments.
    Despite the fact that both the other were heavily updated at least they offered us something challenging.
    I go back to Some Girls a lot, Exile quite a bit, but SF very little

Bill Diercks and Mark Wilson like this.
  2. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

I actually like the Sticky Fingers outtakes because they included versions of tracks I didn't already have on bootlegs with the exception of the Clapton version of Brown Sugar. It's too bad they omitted the alternate versions of Sister Morphine and You Gotta Move.

3. Dean R

Dean R Forum Resident

Might just be me then...
    Just didn't really strike me as very much. Apart from Brown sugar we had Wild Horses which was a newly done mix of the master take, a live rehearsal of Dead Flowers and a couple of proper alts (plus 5 live tracks). It felt a bit flat to me in comparison with the effort that had been out in on the other two.

4. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Why did Mick Taylor quit?

5. TheDailyBuzzherd

TheDailyBuzzherd Forum Resident

... and still not one MT credit.

6. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Taylor has stated in various interviews that he left for a number of reasons. Some of them include lack of songwriting credits as promised, a desire to play a different type of music and the need to remove himself from the easy access drug culture of the Stones.

7. followmehome

followmehome Forum Resident

I prefer it to the master. If anything, it is at least sonically WAY better.

8. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Can someone please post a link to the SHM-CD mastering of this album (the flat transfer)?

Edit: Like Discogs or CDJapan, somewhere where I can legally buy it. :)

Last edited: Feb 20, 2020
  9. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

This may have been covered, if it has I missed it. What changes were done to “Waiting on a Friend” that was worked on during the GHS sessions and the Tattoo You sessions? Thanks in advance.

Hep Alien and Hootsmon like this.
  10. Dean R

Dean R Forum Resident

Each to their own, but to me it sounds like the musical equivalent of a moustache on the Mona Lisa.
    Sonically it’s a very rough mix.

11. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Some people are into that. ;)

12. Dean R

Dean R Forum Resident

As I said ‘each to their own’ , I won’t judge!

13. mbleicher1

mbleicher1 Tube Amp Curmudgeon

I end up listening to the Exile set the least; the extra songs are not that great to my ears. I do like the alternate Loving Cup. I think all the live material on the Sticky box is much more interesting. And that Wild Horses take is, I think, a working mix of the song, not a new fake mix.

Hep Alien likes this.
  14. Dean R

Dean R Forum Resident

Wild Horses is definitely a new mix, although that doesn’t make it fake.

15. supermd

supermd Senior Member

I believe I found the CDJapan webpage, but it's sold out. :( I really wanted to grab this album with that flat transfer...

Crimson Witch likes this.
  16. Carl80

Carl80 Forum Resident

Try HMV Japan , they always have more stock than CD Japan, or EBay.

Crimson Witch and supermd like this.
  17. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

ImportCDs has the SHM-SACD, but Plat. SHM-CD is back-ordered, which may mean they can no longer get it -- sometimes the case with these limited edition releases.

Amazon Japan has the Plat. SHM-CD (1x left) and SHM-SACD (2x left).

enro99, Crimson Witch and supermd like this.
  18. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Thank you. I don't care about SACD resolution or fancy, nonsensical "platinum" stuff. I just want a standard redbook mastering. A "normal" CD will suit me just fine. It seems I'm out of luck unless I want to pay an arm and a leg for a used copy.

19. Hiraeth

Hiraeth Forum Resident

Rickchick and All Down The Line like this.
  20. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

You have to realize that all the versions (CD and SACD) were limited releases in Japan only (and released years ago!), and many of the titles in these series sold out very quickly. The Japanese produce these and mini-LP sets all the time, and when they are gone, they are gone, and command a premium as a result. I doubt that you are going to find a 'normal' CD version, never mind something at a 'normal' price. If you cannot play SACD, grab the Plat. SHM CD from Amazon Japan and look for 1-2 more discs to soften the shipping cost. Amazon Japan are excellent at packing, and you should expect your discs in 2-3 days via DHL. The platinum and SHM aspects might contribute nothing to the sound quality, but that's all that is available right now.

ODShowtime, tkl7 and supermd like this.
  21. Off/Proverbial Post:
    Although a lot of 'green' for the flat-transfer, it has no "green":
    Album details - Dynamic Range Database
    Shame that release rates as having more compression than most GHS issues rated on the Dynamic Range Database.

Good luck!

22. supermd

supermd Senior Member

I understand the situation, having just purchased the entire Elton John SHM set. I just don't like the situation. :p

23. supermd

supermd Senior Member

It has an album DR of 10, but there are excellent Hoffman CD masterings with that DR #, so it's pretty pointless.

tkl7 likes this.
  24. Off:
    Which Hoffman mastered ceedees have a DR rating of 10 [or below] & are "excellent"?

Thanks.

Updated:
    Found "Who's Next"; however, supposedly the same mastering also scores 11.

No need to reply.

For The Record [p.i.]:
    Only use DR rating for "comparison" to other rated releases.
    Not the ubiquitous "Numbers Only" accusation.

Thanks again.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2020
    supermd likes this.
  25. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Just for fun, I am posting another for Audio Fidelity's Cheap Thrills, which is DR 10.

Album details - Dynamic Range Database

SinnerSaint likes this.