Rolling Stones half speed masters available for presale ....

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Eric Weinraub, Mar 17, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Well, yeah, sure! That's the Artisan cut and it's the gold standard for "Exile".

But: The new half-speed mastering is excellent as well. Compared it to an original together with a friend and both versions have their merits. Definitely not a case were the original is clearly superior.

Whatever you do: Don't get rid of your 1994 vinyl until you have a chance to compare it to whatever you eventually will upgrade it with. You're in for a "treat"! :evil:

2. ronton99

ronton99 Forum Resident

The new half-speed stand alone edition of Exile does not come with the postcards.
    It is a bare bones gatefold version of the cover, but the cardboard inner sleeves do have the original artwork.

The first Abbey Road half speed master of Exile - from 2 years ago? - DOES have the postcards but was cut from a horrible compressed file.
    I can't stand to listen to it, but that's just me.

marcfeld69 and theebrianrector42 like this.
  3. Awesome, I am listening to it now. It sounds amazing to me honestly - really punchy and loud. The half speed improves on this?!

4. Neonbeam

Ah, fok! Really? I have "Exile" from the new box and thought the standalone version released last Friday was identical. Sorry for the missinformation!

marcfeld69 likes this.

5. I was talking about the 1994. Not sure why people disregard it? It sounds perfect to me. Maybe a LITTLE compressed - maybeeee

6. Has anyone compared a 2015 US reissue of STICKY FINGERS to the half-speed? I am also curious about that because the 2015 sounds fantastic!

7. Neonbeam

Well, just compare it to another version! :righton:

HellBrokeLuce likes this.
  8. Anyone compared an OG 1978 Some Girls to the half speed? Do I need to get the half speed or keep my 78?

9. Neonbeam

10. boboquisp likes this.
  11. Neonbeam

Check out the date when I wrote it. The current half-speed remaster wasn't released back then and as hard as I might try: Clairvoyant I am not.... unfortunately.... :bdance:

HellBrokeLuce likes this.
  12. So you think I am honestly good with either one and that will become my forever copy? Either the half speed or the artisan?

By the way, have you had a chance to compare Sticky Fingers to the 2015 reissue or Some Girls to a US original?

13. Neonbeam

No. I've got nice West German and UK originals for "Some Girls" and for "Sticky Fingers" I'm good with my early W.German pressing and the nice EMI100 Cent38.

ODShowtime, Solace and HellBrokeLuce like this.
  14. Neonbeam

If you only want one I'd recommend a 1972 pressing but only because I like originals because they are "authentic". But that's just me.

Man at C&A and HellBrokeLuce like this.
  15. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

That’s true. It’s amazing my shop has one on the wall. I’d just advise anyone with an original not to bother if they’re thinking it’ll be an upgrade.

16. I started a conversation with you separately. I want to discuss this stuff further! haha

Neonbeam likes this.
  17. Queezma

Queezma Forum Resident

In Canada, the stand alone half speeds of Exile and Some Girls are not out until this coming Friday. And just to clarify these are the EXACT same masterings from the 2018 boxset but the packaging (replicas of inner sleeves etc) are not faithful replicas for some of the titles as they were for the box set?

BOZMAN and Carl80 like this.
  18. Carl80

Carl80 Forum Resident

Yes that’s right.

blair207 and Queezma like this.
  19. Queezma

Queezma Forum Resident

Thank you. I will stick with my box set and OG pressings (as well as the deluxe 2015, and 2016 pressings of SF and Exile). I saw some of the titles yesterday at my local indie store and some of the covers of these stand alone reissues looked terrible. In particular, Tattoo You and Dirty Work (no red shrink wrap either) looked like bad hi-res scans. The colour scheme for Tattoo You looked off as well.

Carl80 likes this.
  20. Channel Z

Channel Z Forum Resident

I have the vinyl box set and I endorse the Bridges To Babylon reissue. I have never heard the original pressing like many here, but the sound of the reissue is consistent with the sound I hear on the other albums in the box. If you are interested in purchasing this I think you'll be happy with it. The original is rare and very pricey and most will never own it.

21. Is there a particular Artisan I should get? There are so many to choose from!!

22. Picking up the CSM press VG+ all around. Time to get rid of my '94

marcfeld69 and jgrillo like this.
  23. Neonbeam

Come on, an original 1997 is neither rare nor "very pricey". Discogs has 50 (!) copies starting from 72€. Yep, not ultra cheap either but if this is your idea of a holy grail let me tell you there are 90'a albums that are much more elusive and expensive. :evil:

24. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

I haven’t compared the 2 in a while. The sound of the latest half speed mastered version is more open sounding and has a tighter sounding bottom end. One of my favorite cuttings of Sticky Fingers. Of course, YMMV.

sharedon likes this.
  25. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

Is that for these recently released stand alone albums that were in the big vinyl box from a couple of years back?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.