Rolling Stones Live at El Mocambo Show release*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mark-10, Feb 17, 2022.

1. supermd

supermd Senior Member

I love how Charlie is driving that breakneck speed at the end of JJF. A true master.

2. muenke

muenke Forum Resident

I usually donˋt really need (another) live Stones video. But man, this one on the screen ... :D

3. musicfan37

musicfan37 Senior Member

Strange the lack of photos of Bill in the CD booklet.

4. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

I have been listening to Side 3 of Love You Live for decades and am bitterly disappointed in this. (For the new visitors in the back, heh.)

Rockin' Robby and pryp like this.
  5. pryp

pryp Forum Resident

I so agree with this. The worlds greatest r&r bands legacy is being destroyed by brickwalling.

frightwigwam and jumpinjulian like this.
  6. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Keith has also mentioned the sidemen had too much input into some of the albums during the 70's. However, it was partly due to Keith's own situation at the time but I think he has admitted it.

7. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

True, but I don't get it. Bill was a member of The Rolling Stones when this was recorded, and he would be for another 15 years or so. It seems petty. Even Stalinist.

Unless there's a very good legal reason.

8. Exile On My Street

Exile On My Street Senior Member

Is it? this has been going on since "rarities" in 2003.

9. Exile On My Street

I deleted that post, but I do believe there IS a legal reason, otherwise where is Bill complaining? He's a very vocal guy so he seems to be OK with it.
    Don't mind me, I get bored with the same posts in every Stones thread.
    Bill has been missing since 2003. In 20 years he hasn't mentioned it. If he has I haven't seen it.

OldSoul likes this.
  10. bbanderic

bbanderic Forum Resident

Anyone who thinks Billy Preston is a clown can’t be taken seriously :)

11. entropyfan

entropyfan Forum Resident

Love these performances. The up-tempo numbers from Black and Blue have the same energy they brought into Pathe-Marconi a few months later. Sounds like they're already gearing up for Some Girls. I wonder when they decided to leave Billy behind.

This release should be Exhibit A for the defense when somebody claims that Bill Wyman was a poor bassist.

As for the mix, everything is balanced well, but complete overkill with the reverb. The world's biggest rock band standing inches away from each other on a club stage, but it sounds like they're at a fake Wembley. If this was Jagger's preference, then Clearmountain could have at least split the difference and dialed it back some. Drums also seem overtreated.

Nitpicky, but there won't be any do-overs. The four songs on LYL sound so much better there.

So yeah - phenomenal release but could have been phenomenaler.

12. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Probably not appropriate for an alleged child molester.

frightwigwam, groundharp and mick_sh like this.
  13. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

Do they have to pay him if they use his image?

Dean R likes this.
  14. Exile On My Street

I don't mind Billy's set, per se. I think the Stones make an incredible backing rock/funk band to Billy songs.

I do agree about the synth "squiggles". I love that term...LOL..His presence grew on Brussels but the '75-'76 shows the squiggles did tend to become too intrusive.

15. Dean R

Dean R Forum Resident

As someone close to Keith said to me about the autobiography 'the ghost writer asked me to confirm a story, and it clearly wasn't true, but I just said 'if that's what Keith think happened go with it'

Matthew Tate and pryp like this.
  16. Tom Campbell

Tom Campbell Forum Resident

You’ve been saying this since practically page 1, but have you actually heard the final product now? Or are you still going off YouTube uploads?

17. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

YouTube, Spotify, Apple Music, even that remaster mentioned earlier. (I typically don't care about brickwalled mastering, was hoping for less 'verb and it sounds about the same to me.)

It's due to show up at my local library and I will give it One More Shot, but I'm not going to pay money for this in the vain hope the mix on the actual CDs is drastically different.

Rockin' Robby likes this.
  18. jb welda

jb welda yellow eyed dog

So deeply, bitterly bitterly disappointed. Just awful, how could they dare do this?

And then I woke up...

jb

19. musicfan37

musicfan37 Senior Member

I know what you mean. I didn’t think it was right then, either.

20. pryp

pryp Forum Resident

I just listened through what my ears could take of ****yfis Mocambo. which was about 1/3 of it. If my colored vinyl is as tiring its getting flipped.

Im now soothing my ears with captain acids wonderful brussels boot. luckily theres a few boots from the golden years with good sq. and no brickwalls.

Luckily the original albums is available in great analog goodness as well. Side 3 kicks the door in if i want some mocambo.

Musicwise im mostly interrested in worried and the black and blue tracks. ill put them into the digital plattforms.

Those are the tracks that really shine on this release as well. the reggea tumblin is fun. man,that intro to luxury though...

Rockin' Robby and twicks like this.
  21. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

Diff'rent strokes, Willis.

Rockin' Robby, ssmith3046 and pryp like this.
  22. Nielsoe

Nielsoe Forum Resident

You think the vinyl version of El Mocambo 1977 is brickwalled?

23. pryp

pryp Forum Resident

I fear it. its on the way. ill let you know. i hope not.

Thing is, a lot of the recent archival releases have been. theres also reverb, no AAA etc.

Sadly my ears cant handle this. i envy those that can.

Rockin' Robby and TonyCzar like this.
  24. Nielsoe

Nielsoe Forum Resident

I stand corrected. Sorry.

But El Mocambo 1977 is f&#$ing awesome!!!!!

twicks likes this.
  25. FredV

FredV Senior Member

…, and saw THIS!!! :yikes:
    [​IMG]