Rolling Stones Live at El Mocambo Show release*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mark-10, Feb 17, 2022.

1. jb welda

jb welda yellow eyed dog

Why would have Jagger taken the time and trouble to overdub vocals back in the LYL days for anything other than the four songs featured on the album? He wouldn't; these guys do plan things and pretty much time is money.

I still think there is a big possibility that some of the instrument work was redone, but that would have been redone recently, not back in 77, other than for the four songs on LYL, and of course they worked those over before releasing them. Guy up above has it right: LYL S3 sounds very sanitary, like a premium FM broadcast in front of a studio audience. It did not sound like that in person, I can guarantee you that.

jb

Matthew Tate likes this.
  2. I need your help!! I have a bunch of friends coming over tonight to eat, drink and play some vinyl and I want to capture the crowd. We're all from or living in Toronto so the El Mocambo holds some charm and we've all been there and seen shows over the last 30 or more years.

If you had to pick one side of the vinyl set to win over the crowd, which side would it be? I may not get a chance to play another so it's gotta be the one with the most..charm, intimacy?

What should I lead with? And possibly follow-up with? Of the 8 of us, I'd say 3 maybe 4 are fans and the rest should go along for the ride.

I'm not sure side 1 is the way to go. What say you?

MRamble likes this.
  3. bbanderic

bbanderic Forum Resident

Based on what?

4. Exile On My Street

Exile On My Street Senior Member

Nope, people will complain about that, too.

Carl80 likes this.
  5. Sipuncula

Sipuncula Forum Resident

These archive live releases probably don't sell enough to make it worth their while to book studio time, get together, etc. for overdubs. It's a niche market, even considering it's the Rolling Stones. IMHO of course. I don't have numbers to back this up. Also (as much as I hate to say it), contemporary overdubs would be pretty obvious, as their playing/singing skills are not what they were in 1977. Keith put a pretty amateurish sounding new overdub on one of the Exile bonus tracks that stuck out like a sore thumb. Micks "modern" enunciation is an obvious tell on some of the archive stuff that they have retouched (Tattoo You, Some Girls, and Exile deluxe issues). Not that there is anything wrong with doing that, they can do what they want, but I just don't hear it here.

Also, it's not out of the realm of possibility that they were planning on releasing the whole El Mocambo show at the time, as the live album, and worked on it with post-production, then eventually changed their mind decided to release Love You Live with only one side of El Mocambo material included.

6. fmfxray373

fmfxray373 Capitol LPs in the 70s were pretty good.

If they called in Mick Taylor for the Exile On Main St deluxe legacy project they might have done something for El Mocambo also. I’m sure they are still engaged with their legacy products in 2022. The money is less important than the legacy at their current ages.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  7. fmfxray373

fmfxray373 Capitol LPs in the 70s were pretty good.

Is there an original bootleg of this exact Mocambo performance of Tumblin’ Dice? Otherwise your argument is moot: we don’t know what he originally sang that evening. And just because we don’t have the boot doesn’t mean Mick doesn’t have it. If there is a bootleg with him singing just like he is on the EM cd that would be awesome. I just feel that he sounds a bit 21st Century on it in places.

Last edited: May 22, 2022
    hiterss and Matthew Tate like this.
  8. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'?

Mick changed the lyrics of "Tumbling Dice" quite often in the '70s and basically never after that. The different lyrics here are definitely original.

9. marcb

marcb Senior Member

It must suck to be a fanboi on an audiophile site and struggle to understand that fidelity is part of the visceral enjoyment of music.

Rockin' Robby and jb welda like this.
  10. Tom Wabe

Tom Wabe Forum Resident

I can understand that following the 'Exile...', Goats Head...' and 'Tattoo..' tazzing about that we're all naturally suspicious - but I hear nothing on this that sounds remotely out of place...

11. Tom Wabe

Tom Wabe Forum Resident

Lo-fidelity can also be an integral part of the sound of certain rock 'n roll units. Most of the ones that I like to be honest.

12. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

I’m really loving the colored vinyl. BTW, a couple of my discs were dish warped. If you have the same issue and a Vinyl Flat don’t hesitate. Two hours on the low setting for heat rendered these flat with absolutely no sonic detriment.

bbanderic likes this.
  13. MRamble

MRamble Forum Resident

Side D, for me personally

Tumblin Dice
    Hot Stuff
    Star Star

But can't go wrong with Side A either

14. Tom Wabe

Tom Wabe Forum Resident

Yeah - side A is great - I've seen a few say that they're not warmed up for a couple of numbers but I absolutely love the opening 'Honky Tonk Women'.

supernaut, laf848, Bonddm and 4 others like this.
  15. JMike

JMike Forum Resident

Anyone who hears modern day Mick vocals on this is imagining things or searching for things to critique.

It was a good show, people! Just accept it!

16. That's the way I may go! D and /or A. The opening is great with the intro and you gotta love any band chatter between songs.

MRamble likes this.
  17. Alien Reg

Alien Reg Forum Resident

Thanks to all those who have posted reassurances about vocal overdubs from 2020/21 (i.e. there not being any). I am still waiting for my vinyl copy to arrive so I can't do a comparison with the bootlegs on YouTube or wherever. I am really up for this release and was only trying to settle a few qualms I had in my mind.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  18. KCLizard

KCLizard Forum Resident

What is your source? CDs, download?

Here is mine that I have ripped from the 2 CDs

[​IMG]

It is not compressed, but loudly bloated with its fair share of clipping.

Edit: Can you show on your waveform the full song instead of just about the first 45 seconds of the song.

Rockin' Robby, TonyCzar and OldSoul like this.
  19. MRamble

MRamble Forum Resident

You might get more bang for your buck with Side A but in case ya'll want to dance and throw the party into next gear---Side D will definitely hit the spot. Do let us know either way what happens!

20. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

They worked on lots of tunes that didn't make the album, over months. This is well-documented by testimonials from people who were present at the overdub sessions — the band didn't have any opportunity to record in the conventional manner while Keith was on bail, so they went a little overboard on post-production

21. Axegrinder

Axegrinder Forum Resident

Loving this release. I think this is Ron Wood’s best live guitar work I have heard!

MRamble, RocknRoll, ex_mixer and 3 others like this.
  22. Rising Sun

Rising Sun Forum Resident

Nah, definitely no modern Mick vocals on this. I suspect it got the same treatment that GYYYO got back in the day. Touch-ups here and there, both vocally and instrumentally. We have no idea what their plans were for this set originally. Maybe they thought about releasing the whole thing and then later decided on just picking a few tracks for inclusion on LYL and saving the rest for another day. Done and dusted, put it in the archives and decades later when we're old and grey, spring it on an unsuspecting public who will roar with approval (well, mostly) and continue to replenish the coffers. Well played, lads!

CDFanatic, Dean R, OldSoul and 2 others like this.
  23. jeddy

jeddy Forum Resident

I love this show but I do find it a bit fatiguing...
    It seems to my ears that the guitars are too forward all across the board in the mix
    They sort of mask the bass and keyboards and at times even the drums.
    Some songs just seem like "all sharp guitars in my face all the time" syndrome.
    Clearmountain my be a legend but ...........

mark_j, Doggiedogma and Matthew Tate like this.
  24. Exile On My Street

Exile On My Street Senior Member

I felt the guitars were more forward in the mix on LYL.

And I love how the guitars are mixed on that album so they dont bother me here at all.

OldSoul, Matthew Tate and vcpj like this.
  25. vcpj

vcpj Gomper

Bill seems appropriately prominent here -- he's downright bouncy on some songs!

Pouchkine, Deek57, ex_mixer and 3 others like this.