Rolling Stones new 2023 album Hackney Diamonds*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by omikron, Aug 21, 2023.

1. Exile On My Street

Exile On My Street Senior Member

Yes, I looked it up. Something didn't seem right.

Matthew Tate and twicks like this.
  2. Exile On My Street

Jazzfest setlist

Rolling Stones, 5/03/24, New Orleans Jazz Fest
    1. “Start Me Up”
    2. “Get Off of My Cloud”
    3. “Out of Time”
    4. “Angry”
    5. “Let It Bleed
    6. “Time Is on My Side”
    7. “Whole Wide World”
    8. “Tumbling Dice”
    9. “You Can’t Always Get What You Want”
    10. “Little T&A”
    11. “Sympathy for the Devil”
    12. “Honky Tonk Women”
    13. “Miss You”
    14. “Gimme Shelter”
    15. “Paint It Black”
    16. “Jumpin’ Jack Flash”
    17. “Sweet Sounds of Heaven”
    18. “(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction”

The MEZ, MichaelH and Matthew Tate like this.
  3. lobo

lobo Music has always been a matter of Energy to me...

I like your type of humour. :)

Matthew Tate likes this.
  4. lobo

I like the Stones and ageism is bad and all that, but holy moly, these dudes look old. Really old. Like a hundred years or so. More power to them and their fans, and Mick's a eighty year old hottie, but let the guys take their nap and sip some hot tea on the veranda.

5. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Nope, just a pure Stones fan here.

Amnion likes this.
  6. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

I don't know. It feels more like the Stones than HD does. Even the two HD songs with Charlie don't quite feel right, because the mix/production is so unnatural. ABB would've been a good 9-10 track album, at least it sounded like the Stones are supposed to sound.

I'm disappointed they're only playing 3 new songs on these shows, maybe they'll keep swapping out the 3rd one like they've done on the two shows so far. It'd be amazing to eventually be able to put together a mostly full running order of the album from live versions. Of course, it's the Stones, so if they even ever played 6 tracks from it, i'd be surprised. But this is my plan for the Pearl Jam album, get the bootlegs when they're released down the line and compile my own live Dark Matter to replace the studio album in my listening library.

Matthew Tate, Purple Jim and Nielsoe like this.
  7. Exile On My Street

Be nice to Blue Balls Jim.
    He has spent close to 130 posts in this thread to tell us he doesn't like the new album. He just needs to be heard and acknowledged.

We hear you, BBJ...We hear you...

lobo, MichaelH, bonus and 3 others like this.
  8. Nielsoe

Nielsoe Forum Resident

This is an interesting thought especially for those who had issues with the production of Hackney Diamonds. It is however not very likely they'll play the entire album over the course of the tour as you point out.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  9. Amnion

Amnion Forum Miscreant

For a "change"... :cool:

10. Amnion

Amnion Forum Miscreant

LOL. The glove is thrown down... "Purity Of Essence"

11. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

How many times are you going to say that you like the album? I don't really see the difference. :D

12. MichaelH

MichaelH Forum Resident

I consider both Hackney Diamonds and A Bigger Bang to be solid A albums, with really one dud song on each. Back of my hand and Dreamy skies I could do without, but everything else on both albums are great stuff.

13. bonus

bonus Forum Resident

Well, of course there IS a difference. But I don’t have time to explain it.

How about this? Bitch and moan ‘til your heart’s content. But for God’s sake, please try to make it interesting…

14. Fmk 438j

Fmk 438j Well-Known Member

Ronnie’s slide playing on Dreamy Skies is what makes it great to me.

15. lobo

Dirty Work was the first "new" Stones LP I owned. A friend gave it to me for my 14st birthday. Before that I only knew their sixties stuff, which I loved. After listening to Dirty Work for the first time I really tried to like it because it was a birthday present. I tried again some times but it didn't happen. I wondered what had happened to that great band. 37 years later I still agree with my 14 year old self.

But that's just my story. :)

16. Fmk 438j

Fmk 438j Well-Known Member

there’s a reason why many people consider Dirty Work their worst album. It’s kinda terrible. What’s funny to me is that Stu has the best track on it… his isolated piano outro at the end.

17. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

:laugh: All explained months ago. Catch up!

18. Max Florian

Max Florian Forum Resident

A dialogue quote from one of the my favourite films, Wim Wenders' Until the End of the World (1991):
    • Claire: Remember the first time we came to Tokyo? It was the summer of 1994. Our first summer.
    • Eugene: It rained all the time.
    • Claire: We saw the Rolling Stones' last concert.
    • Eugene: But of course it wasn't really the last one, was it? (smiles to her)

PunkSaxMixII and lobo like this.
  19. Goldtop33

Goldtop33 Forum Resident

This album really sits next to Some Girls for me. (Which I’m not a fan of) Both are basically Mick solo albums with little or no Keith. The only difference being Keith had two songs on SG (BTMMR & BOB) and just one (TMS) on HD.

If you’re a fan of SG and Mick playing guitar then you probably love HD too.

And on a side note - how excruciatingly painful it is to still have to sit thru Miss You live still to this day. It’s ridiculous Mick still insists on putting this one in there.

Matthew Tate and Bonddm like this.
  20. brew ziggins

brew ziggins Forum Prisoner

Until the End of the World. The theatrical release was butchered and incomprehensible. The six hour hour Criterion Edition is a masterpiece that is still flying under the radar.

WRT the Stones now. I have issues with geriatric rockers. I have issues with being geriatric myself. As with Dead and Company, ‘believe it if you need it, if you don’t just pass it on.’
    Doesn’t work for me, but if they’re still making audiences happy, it’s all good.
    And Mick is incredible.

Amnion likes this.
  21. lobo

Wim Wenders. Another dinosaur. I liked Paris, Texas a lot.

brew ziggins likes this.
  22. Amnion

Amnion Forum Miscreant

+1
    Thanks, for proving it's possible to not like or appreciate it, but with respect for those who do. :tiphat:

MichaelH and brew ziggins like this.
  23. RJD1954

RJD1954 Forum Resident

Streets of Love is a tad slow? Ballads usually are. Like Play With Fire, As Tears Go By, Lady Jane, Fool to Cry, Angie, Tops, Heaven, Ruby Tuesday, Almost Hear You Sigh, Slipping Away et al. None of which would be improved by, what, speeding them up a tad.

24. Dovetail7

Dovetail7 Pragmatic Purist

Ever consider they might not FEEL as old as they look?

nojmplease likes this.
  25. RJD1954

RJD1954 Forum Resident

I’ve NEVER heard Some Girls described as basically a Mick solo album. Ever. It’s one of the leanest meanest Stones albums. Hardly any session musos, just the band playing full tilt.