Rolling Stones Single-By-Single Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Parachute Woman, Mar 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

No big loss in my opinion. I always skip it anyway.:uhhuh:

2. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Mother??????

3. All Down The Line

Early UK copies had the incorrect composer credits also.

4. All Down The Line

I would believe Klein would have a same day release if at all possible. The Stones are not pleased about Metamorphosis and you can read a bit near the beginning of Chet Flippo's book with the band on tour in 75' talking about Metamorphosis and Abkco/Klein not being interested in the selected cuts that Wyman had so carefully selected.

5. All Down The Line

No longer a loving cup!

6. All Down The Line

You're playing with your life this ain't no truth or dare!

Glenn Christense likes this.
  7. All Down The Line

Didn't the US use cat RS-19304 twice?
    The only country that issued a second single from Black & Blue was France but even there there was some label mixing up between A & B sides so it must have been catching!

8. All Down The Line

Yep and copies exist with tracks incorrectly labelled as the A and B sides.

9. All Down The Line

Fool To Cry - A good effort but a bit too long and not my favorite ballad from the album.
    Still note how it has some of Keith's most understated guitar lines ever committed to wax.

Hot Stuff - I dig the riff and the groove not to mention the fine contribution of Harvey Mandel.
    This was a harder, sharper sound than in 74'

Crazy Mama - Rocks nicely but a touch routine for me mainly due to the lead vocal.
    Fabulous licks towards the out trouble and some heavy moments around the Intro.

10. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Gut bucket blues and balls to the wall rock & roll.

11. tim_neely

tim_neely Forum Hall Of Fame

Every stock copy had "Fool to Cry" on one side and "Hot Stuff" on the other, so no.

12. All Down The Line

I was talking promo as when it was the same cut both sidesides they shared the same catalogue number which seems a bit unique.

13. tim_neely

tim_neely Forum Hall Of Fame

Yeah. Before the early 1970s, of course, most promos had both sides of the single on them. After promos began to have the same song on both sides, if for some reason a label decided to promote both sides of the same single, they usually pressed two different promos with the same number. The Stones would do this again later with "Miss You" and "Far Away Eyes"; the Bee Gees did it also with "Too Much Heaven" and "Rest Your Love on Me."

14. All Down The Line

If you were their svengali they never would have created Ruby Tuesday, Miss You, Waiting On A Friend, Shine A Light, She's A Rainbow, Beast Of Burden, Moonlight Mile, 2000 Light Years From Home, Paint It Black, Play With Fire, You Got The Silver, Wild Horses etc.
    At their best they were stunning at writing and performing other genres too and without that discovery/pursuit their legacy would be far less than it is.

D.B., Sean, Fox67 and 5 others like this.
  15. Grant

Well, I would have certainly advised them against "She's A Rainbow". :)

My point is that in 1967, they fell away from what put them on the map, and it took Miller to get them back to where they should be. Now, you may have liked their drugged-out trippy phase, but their hits dwindled during that year.

16. Parachute Woman

Parachute Woman Forum Resident Thread Starter

They had a #1 hit in 1967 (Ruby Tuesday) and 'drugged-out trippy' doesn't describe the music on two of the three records they released in America in this year. Plenty of people like the music they recorded during this period and, as I've written many times on this forum, the music they recorded in 1966/1967 was essential to Mick & Keith becoming the songwriters they were from 1968 on.

They've had an almost 60 year career. The huge variety and diversity of their catalog is what makes them so great and kept their career going so long. I'm thrilled they never pigeon-holed themselves.

+ I have seen many Stones fans, both hardcore and casual, profess their love for 'She's a Rainbow.' I have seen it ranked #1 on lists of folks' favorite Stones songs.

9la likes this.
  17. Grant

As I said before, you might like it, but that like wasn't reflected in that singles' sales. But, as a concession, i'll give you that "Street Fighting Man" tanked at #48, even lower than "She's A Rainbow". But, after SFM...they shot back up to the top.

I am a Rolling Stones fan, but I always skip their trippy period.

18. Parachute Woman

Parachute Woman Forum Resident Thread Starter

At this point (in 2019, I mean) the sales of these singles over 50 years ago barely matters. I am primarily interested in how fans feel about these songs. The legacy of the band is entirely secure and the catalog of music they produced will and has lived on long past their original chart positions.

I write from the perspective of someone born the same year Keith released Talk is Cheap. I don't think much about how the songs charted in their original runs. I know that when I fell in love with the Stones in 2002 thanks to the 40 Licks compilation, I was enamored with the variety of songs included and I loved them all. As compositions, not as 'hits.' :)

D.B., Sean, TGH7 and 2 others like this.
  19. All Down The Line

Quality bands change and evolve in no small part to those prior changes.
    The instrumentation on BB at its core was the same as on SMR.
    Furthermore from Street Fighting Man onwards the Stones have had many rockers that are good but plenty have not been big hits so with your rationale are they poor quality mistakes?

D.B. likes this.
  20. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

The mistakes were the reggae and disco numbers. :D

DmitriKaramazov likes this.
  21. All Down The Line

Lol
    I know you are working on that anti Miss You petition John, how many names so far................. ?
    Funny Guy!

Grant likes this.
  22. The MEZ

The MEZ Forum Resident

Amazing how much improved Streets Of Love was when played live.

D.B. likes this.
  23. DmitriKaramazov

DmitriKaramazov Senior Member

I was a fan of the Stones back in the day, not so much a fan now maybe but still I never lose my love for She’s A Rainbow and Their Satanic Majesties Request. That’s some incredible music there — it’s crazy but it never gets old to me.

Fox67, All Down The Line and The MEZ like this.
  24. All Down The Line

The exteneed version was also included on a bonus CD with Flashpoint called Flashpoint and Collectable stuff that came in a foldout leather wallet.
    N.b. I believe the bonus CD also came in a European box that included all the bands albums on cd from 1971-1989.

Mosthaf likes this.
  25. All Down The Line

They usually got their Oates!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.