Rolling Stones Studio Albums 1971-2016 Vinyl Box Coming June 15th*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by aphexj, Apr 24, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

The SACDs were ~.3% slow compared to what? I would assume that previous LPs and CDs varied by at least that much.

mbrownp1 and marcb like this.
  2. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'?

Yeah, people were arguing that point in the thread. Compared to what I'd heard (which, at the time, mainly would have been the 1994 CD and snippets of the 2009 CD), it was slow.

3. Szeppelin75

Szeppelin75 Forum Resident

Good luck guys with your set. I was one of the lucky ones to get the deal at $179 on Amazon only to foolishly not go thru with the sale, dumb me. I was lucky enough to snag the only Stones studio album i was missing (Bigger Bang), but i'm curious to see if the new set is as good as we think it might be.

marcb, jon9091 and OldSoul like this.
  4. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'?

Glad I'm not the only one, at least.

5. Carl80

Carl80 Forum Resident

How was it protected/packaged anyone who has received it ?

vinylbeat and OldSoul like this.
  6. I emailed Mike Fremer for his thoughts of half speed mastering and if he thought the box was worth the investment.

He said "can't beat fresh tapes"

MRamble likes this.
  7. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it!

Bingo!
    Beave

8. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

You might have perfect pitch that hasn’t been fully developed. I just googled and read a short article from Psychology today that said that while incidence among the general public is 1 in 10,000 people, among classical musicians it may be 7%.

OldSoul likes this.
  9. HE1NZ

HE1NZ Forum Resident

Please tell about download code. How do you redeem it? What format, bitrate it is?

10. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Why would you think this? It’s not his area of expertise - and besides everything was already flat transferred to DSD and hi-rez PCM. Why do it again?

OldSoul likes this.
  11. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Confirmed delivery date from Amazon! I got the cheap price so I splurged on global priority shipping for $18. I’m actually looking forward to trying this one out:

12. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it!

Yes it is and thanks for clarity on that, the way he spoke made no sense to me.
    So........
    We get FFile at an artificial oh sped up speed for over 40 years,
    Finally get it at it's correct speed on the 100% pure 'lp' and sacd, and now just to go back to the
    Incorrect sped up one,
    Well shows you that nobody who really knows what's what is running the show.
    Shamefull
    Beave

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
    Jack likes this.
  13. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Exactly. Which is sort of the same argument I made when this (non) issue was raised initially a few months back .

14. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

How do you know what the correct speed is?

15. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

Here’s where I got confused....

When they said “vinyl specific” original tape transfers, I took that to mean he was doing them again himself. Then, of course I remembered him picking and choosing from the existing files on the hard drive.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
    mick_sh likes this.
  16. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Non-answer answer. Regardless how would he know any more than anyone else if it was worth the investment unless he’d heard them?

Honestly if Showell is given free reign with the flat transfers, they should be quite good. Will they beat the originals - which were mostly cut straight from the “fresh” analog masters by top tier mastering engineers? That remains to be seen.

Tommyboy, dasacco and OldSoul like this.
  17. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I'm leaving mine in the shipping carton until I read a few reviews and opinions on this. With a purchase price of $180.00 I could flip it and sell it cheap and still make money. I have most of these albums but just couldn't pass on Amazon price.

18. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

Eh...I don’t think so really. The longer version adds what, 30 seconds to the running time of the track? That would put the TT of the side at 25:13. They could cut it like that or easily fade some of the other tracks earlier if they wanted. Jeez, they could lopped a whole minute off Dance Little Sister and no one would have noticed.

yarbles likes this.
  19. mick_sh

mick_sh Hackney diamond

They think customers are stupid.

jon9091 likes this.
  20. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Typical marketing gobbledy-gook written by people who don’t really understand what they’re writing about.

I took it to mean flat transfers which would then be used to create vinyl specific masterings, i.e. these wouldn’t be cut from digital production masters like the recent Exile 1/2 speed. But the wording is confusing.

dasacco, jon9091 and OldSoul like this.
  21. wpjs

wpjs Forum Resident

Didn’t Fremer prefer the mono box over original 1st pressings?
    No fresh tape used there.

OldSoul and dasacco like this.
  22. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

The 64-69 vinyl box sounded good IMO.

marcb and dasacco like this.
  23. mick_sh

mick_sh Hackney diamond

It does. Unfortunately, it wasn’t mastered with state-of-the-art picking and mixing files from a hard drive that nobody knows from what tapes are sourced or who EQ or transferred them. :D

The Beave and jon9091 like this.
  24. MemoInPR

MemoInPR Señor Memo

Flaming Torch likes this.
  25. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Actually it wasn’t that different.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.