Rolling Stones Studio Albums 1971-2016 Vinyl Box Coming June 15th*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by aphexj, Apr 24, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coltranes

coltranes Forum Resident

Actually - I notice that the disc label has a couple of production and executive production credits, so maybe nothing’s missing.

levi likes this.
  2. robtodd

robtodd Forum Resident

No that’s how it came back on release. A very sparse amount of information.

levi, aphexj and coltranes like this.
  3. mrclick

mrclick Forum Resident

Yes you have it right Coltranes. The new cover is authentic to the original - even says mastering done by Bob Ludwig, which of course isn’t true of the new copy.

And the original had no band credits which is why I thought “Ronnie is sonding good on Worried About You” for years until I found out it’s Wayne Perkins! One of the best solos on any Stones record. And no credit for Sonny Rollins on Waiting for a Friend either.

levi and coltranes like this.
  4. rpc_2_uk

rpc_2_uk Forum Resident

Got mine delivered Friday and finally got round to unpacking and listening to it today (had the house to myself this morning)

First impression is this is a heavy set. Don't put it on your top shelf !! Just picking it up and sliding off the outer box made break out into a sweat and think about grabbing a beer to cool down.

For those still wondering about the download code, its on the back of the card tongue that is loose in the box. Once my box was empty I looked inside and found another tongue lying flat on the bottom (with a different code). If you haven't got a tongue check your box bottom. Apologies if I have yours !

Turning sticky fingers around saves exile from any zipper damage.

Sleeves all look good. Goats Head Soup is a shiny cover, I seem to remember it being matt, but no idea what version I used to have all those years ago.
    Some of the printed inner sleeves are a little too tight for the records. (All records come separate in poly lined white paper sleeves).
    I normally like to put the records back into the original inner with an anti-static liner. Can't do it with some of these.

Just played Goat's Head Soup (my first choice to listen to, I'm sure yours would be different). I'm enjoying the sound and it really comes to life with a little extra volume.
    Like all new vinyl there is plenty of static. Could do with a clean.

Haven't got any originals to compare to, I'll leave that to someone else.

Overall - an expensive box but I have no regrets buying this, especially as I only had a few of these on record. Happy Father's Day from me to me.

5. SonicSorcerer

SonicSorcerer Forum Resident

Pleased to say my set has arrived from Amazon (UK). Number 7374 & with a download card.

This set really has been meticulously well put together, it's a thing of beauty.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2018
    OldSoul, MRamble, The Beave and 2 others like this.
  6. bbanderic

bbanderic Forum Resident

Are you guys getting hi-res downloads with those codes? If yes, curious if they’re newly mastered and if they will be available at HDtracks/other eventually.

7. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

I think that the general consensus so far is that North American sets do not come with a download card.

The other territories that get the download card apparently get a hodgepodge of different resolutions. No word so far on mastering.

8. MartyTem

MartyTem Forum Resident

I’ve opened a customer service case at The Rolling Stones store with an inquiry about the download codes. I’ll post an update here when I receive a response.

sennj, Shawn and Deano6 like this.
  9. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

So my Amazon order had a scheduled delivery for next Friday, June 22 but my wife informed me (a little bit smugly) that we’ll be out of town by then to visit her family.

I paid ab extra 3 bucks and now have scheduled delivery for Tuesday, June 19. Fingers crossed.

10. coltranes

coltranes Forum Resident

The awful thing now, for my wallet, is that this set makes me want to go back and acquire the mono vinyl box.

Jam757, sonofjim, OldSoul and 3 others like this.
  11. SonicSorcerer

SonicSorcerer Forum Resident

My download code only gave me access to the WAV files and of them, Bridges to Babylon is missing half of the tracks and none of the tracks on any album are numbered - so it may take some organising.

I've not listened to any of them but the download card says they are the latest stereo remasters.

Edit: Back of my hand (my favourite from A Bigger Bang) is missing too and I think there are others missing but I'm bored going through them now. All in all the download thing seems to have been an afterthought for this.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2018
    MRamble likes this.
  12. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

I thought I’d hold out or a deal like that too. We were under the impression the set was limited to 5000 at that time though so I bit to avoid potentially missing out. Now, there appears to be more than 10,000 as far as we know. Once this cools off you may find a good deal. Now that I have it I’m glad I didn’t wait. It’s been a fun week.

OldSoul and MRamble like this.
  13. rpc_2_uk

rpc_2_uk Forum Resident

I've just downloaded the wav files. I too only have 6 songs for Bridges to Babylon.
    All other are complete and Voodoo Lounge has Mean Disposition as an extra.

MRamble likes this.
  14. Chauncey

Chauncey Forum Resident

Sorry for those going through the download debacle. I am assuming that the downloads are the 2009 UMG remasters. Please let us know when you get a chance. In the meantime, enjoy the LPs!

15. marcb

marcb Senior Member

No. This was covered earlier in the thread. He had 24/176, 24/192 & DSD copy files to choose from. DSD files apparently used for most cuts.

aphexj likes this.
  16. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

I just found the download card stuffed between A Bigger Bang and Blue and Lonesome. In shape of the printed tongue logo with download code on back.

Flaming Torch and The Beave like this.
  17. Frank Field

Frank Field Forum Resident

It was in exactly the same place in my box.

Flaming Torch likes this.
  18. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Maybe they will sort out the downloads given time and the complaints roll in. I wouldn't complain about only getting WAV files. Makes them actually worth downloading.

19. masterbucket

masterbucket Senior Member

[​IMG]

20. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I have the blu-ray, but it is still sealed as my bluray player is not a high end player. Some day.

21. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it!

Time for an OPPO Dr.!
    Beave

22. rollo5

rollo5 Forum Reprobate

Even after ordering this box I was really wondering if it was a silly impulse buy. Now that I’m digging into it, I find I’m like a kid with a new toy. It’s just such a cool product that even if it doesn’t carry the finest version of each album, I think a lot of Stones fan might consider it a must have. And I’m a pretty casual fan compared to most of the people on this thread. On another note, Exile is probably my favorite of their catalogue, and I’m very, very impressed with this version. I’m in the minority in liking the previous half speed as well. I find this new box version, in comparison to my two US Artisan pressings, sounding much as I find the box set Sticky Fingers: very clean and neutral, bordering on clinical in a good way. It’s by far the most natural and open I’ve heard this album. Not sure it’s my “favorite” but I’m glad I have it!

23. dasacco

dasacco Senior Member

Quick update:

I just listened to Sticky Fingers all the way through and I am extremely pleased. Grinning ear to ear as I played it just marveling at the soundstage and the presence of the vocals, thinking about when I was 12 years old in 1971 when I got my first of many copies of this record.

I really turned this one up, I mean I kept going and it kept getting better. A tiny bit of tape hiss here and there and some ill-placed non-fill in "I Got The Blues" did nothing to stop me. I didn't care, there was no harshness at all whatsoever.

After "Can't You Hear Me Knocking" played at maximum levels, I expected to have to reach for the remote to turn it down for "You Gotta Move," but no. Everything fell into place. It's an acoustic track and sounded that way, and when Charlie's bass drum kicked in, it hit me in the chest.

Perhaps, the guitars may not have the same bite, or sting, as some other copies. Some might say there is too much bass, but not me. Admittedly, I prefer a little goosed up bass for my tends-to-be-bright system.

For comparison sake I have or have had an original Monarch, (awesome, but I have never found a quiet one) a later 70's US pressing, (very good, but noisy) the 80's MFSL, (great pressing, but not my favorite EQ choices) and the 2015 reissue (good but not quite magic.)

So, in summary, - and this is IMHO, and YMMV, and subject to change when I'm not quite so excited - but I think I finally have my favorite copy of Sticky Fingers.

Jam757, Solace, The Beave and 7 others like this.
  24. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

So this is a brand new mastering of Sticky Fingers?

Are the others in the box new masterings?

25. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'?

Except for Blue & Lonesome, yes; that's the whole point.

btltez, Jack, aoxomoxoa and 3 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.