Rolling Stones Studio Albums 1971-2016 Vinyl Box Coming June 15th*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by aphexj, Apr 24, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'?

I think I heard that Rock And A Hard Place has a different mix, as well. I'm not acquainted enough with this album to tell, though.

CBackley, levimax and walrus like this.
  2. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

I think most Stones albums, save for maybe Exile and IORR, are pretty decently mixed, but Steel Wheels is one that could really use a subtle revamp, with a little less of that 80's high-frequency sheen and less clangy snare sounds, and maybe a little stronger low end. There's about 5-6 really solid-to-great Stones tunes on it that make the album worthwhile, at least when you can just make a playlist of those tracks.

OldSoul likes this.
  3. mbrownp1

mbrownp1 Forum Resident

I pitched down Steel Wheels by 2.5%. This really ups the oomph factor of the entire album. Drums and guitar sound deeper and more organic. Great stuff!

4. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Interesting. I feel like the changed pitch would make me crazy though, but I'm pretty sensitive to that sort of thing. It's just definitely one I'd be curious to hear remixed, more aligned to the sound of Voodoo and Bridges, and less a product of the late 80's. Except for a few unobtrusive synths here and there, it's a pretty straight meat & potatoes Stones recording for the most part.

mbrownp1 likes this.
  5. mbrownp1

mbrownp1 Forum Resident

Our forum friend The Beave came up with the idea and I had my doubts. Until I tried it.

The Beave and walrus like this.
  6. psulioninks

psulioninks Forum Resident

Personally, I like it - a lot.

7. johnnybrum

johnnybrum Forum Resident

£185 in store in HMV for Vinyl Week

8. OldSoul

For the people who had the "Star Star" problems: what stylus profile were you using?
    The distortion is a lot better with the hyperelliptical I'm now using than it was when my conical.

9. Tony Plachy

Tony Plachy Senior Member

Help, I cannot say that I have read all 85 pages. What is the "Star Star" problem. :confused:

10. OldSoul

Some/most people heard horrible distortion on it. Seems like a mastering or pressing problem.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2019
  11. psulioninks

psulioninks Forum Resident

And for some of us, the vast majority of side 2 on Goat's Head Soup album is riddled with non-fill! :realmad:

12. Smurr05

Smurr05 Well-Known Member

Gosh I surely hope to be able to afford this set in the very near future... let’s see.. rent ... or stones... Darn!
    Hoping for some deals to pop as others have had with their sets. Love the reviews y’all-

Tommyboy and tinnox like this.
  13. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

I am fortunate to have the box. Initially I would have preferred a cheaper box that finished with Tattoo You but I am fine with the whole thing. Unfortunately it seems to remain quite high in price in the UK but at least it is still available new at the Universal online shop - for £370 though.
    The old dinosaurs are still selling as I noticed the mega Queen vinyl box is being repressed so hopefully the Stones will remain in print.

14. JP Christian

JP Christian Forum Resident

HMV were doing it for half price but I suspect that was only for vinyl week - I remember seeing it for about £175

Flaming Torch likes this.
  15. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

That would be a good price considering the size of the box and the standard of packaging. For playing the albums I am a fan of all the Japan sacds (or Platinum) versions of most of these albums or the older Virgin cds but it is great to have a new vinyl box and I do enjoy listening to these vinyl reissues.

JP Christian likes this.
  16. JP Christian

Carl Homes and Flaming Torch like this.
  17. johnnybrum

johnnybrum Forum Resident

18. Carl80

Carl80 Forum Resident

Wow snap that up while it lasts, ah they’d sold out before I had time to edit the post.

19. Szeppelin75

Szeppelin75 Forum Resident

20. tinnox

tinnox Senior Member

Carl80 likes this.
  21. Jellis77

Jellis77 Forum Resident

The uDiscover Music Store in the UK are selling this for £155 from today

RiRiIII likes this.
  22. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

Thanks!

PS: they ask eighty-eight (88) GBP tp deliver it to Greece...:-(

23. ilhuicamiztli

ilhuicamiztli Forum Resident

Thank you for pointing this out! I really didn’t want to spend more money on music this year but this was too good to pass. Total was £162 with shipping.

24. Jellis77

Jellis77 Forum Resident

No problem - I picked this up as well. For the first time it paid to wait!

25. JP Christian

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.