Room treatments which is best Absorption or Diffusion ?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Soundlabs, Feb 17, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Soundlabs

Soundlabs Reference Townshend Audio Dealer. Thread Starter

HI Everyone,

Any advise is very welcome. My system is now sounding better than ever but i have never taken any steps regarding room treatments. My floor is carpeted but this year i am having real wood laid so i am concerned regarding the effects this will have on my system. I am happy to lay rugs so maybe this will be enough. I know how to pinpoint the first point reflection areas using a friend/partner with a mirror its how to treat them i am confused with. Any advise or personal experiences greatly appreciated thank you.

The first points of reflection in your set up. (Walls, ceiling, floor)

Treat with absorption.
    Or
    with diffusion?

If so why? Thank you.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2019
  2. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

Some of both. But it all really depends on the room.
    In the old days for an average room the rule of thumb was 1/3 defraction, 1/3 absorption and 1/3 reflective.

Soundlabs likes this.
  3. Check out "Addictive Sound" on ebay. They are based in Poland and i have just bought 8 of their bass traps and the difference is outstanding. Each trap is 50cm wide, 100cm long and 10cms deep. Only 43pounds each and a real bargain. Also check out "Accoustics2012" for diffusers. Again, well made and affordable. I have spent along time researching and these two companies shine out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.